Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-11-2003, 06:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

HELP WITH SUPER TIGHT BUDGET

Hi-
My husband usually is laid off in winter for a couple of months but this past winter was quite a bit harder as we had moved 300 miles for new employment as the new company said it didn't believe in lay-offs. He was laid off three months after we moved here and has been off seven months. He was just rehired last week...so we really have had to live frugally. Our biggest resource was our bulk food store. I could buy oatmeal for less than half the price of the generic oatmeal packaged in small packages at our local grocery store. In addition, I bought split peas and beans for soups, chilis, etc. which made our meals very economical. Also, for recreation we utilized our library for videos as they were free. We heated our house by burning firewood so our electrical bills were minimal though I don't think you will need to do that now. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2003, 12:28 PM
kellyandkids

We are in the process of finishing our basement. Everyone will get a new bedroom. And of course my little boy will love a Thomas blanket. I like your idea as the commerically available comforter won't last more than a couple of washes before the fiber fill starts to ball up anyway. One sheet tops the quilt and one sheet makes the window treatment.

And I challenged the older girls to budget $100 on their new bedroom needs. So they are saving their allowance. We'll see how that goes. One will need a bed and dressors.
I already spent $105 for the other girl getting a loft bed and dresser. So that seems reasonable. People are always giving away mattresses is seems. Grandma is holding one for us now; a friend has another. And it can sit on the floor until we make a frame with under storage.

Clothes: have stains that won't come out even with spot bleaching? We have a pile waiting to be re-dyed a darker blue. A great way to freshen blue jeans. Or use a marker on the light spot.

I have two ideas that save tme and time is money. I hate twist ties and use quality clothes pins on bread bags; fast. And, I keep a bottle of dilute dish soap ready to give a dish a quit squirt rather than run the faucet and use to much soap from the dispensor. My kitchen is staying cleaner since I made it just that much easier.

Bookshelves: I want to know if I should buy the $120-ish std 6 foot bookcases from the store or could I economically make my own? They are simple oak with a simple piece of top trim that they call "mission oak". I'm going to need need more (8) and want nicer ones than my old metal things in the new basment eventually. I think it is that eventually that makes me want to try. I want to be able to add more pieces the same the same style over time.

Happy packing Shebear. My denim is all boxed right now for the big basement project. I'm going to do stripes for the furniture about 8-9 inches wide and simply overlap them. I was doing 4x4- ish squares with the overlap but it was to busy. When you wash it is has loose soft fringy edges. My barstools covers were easy and are nice to wash up.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

;-) Sher Bear, God Love, If your making your own soap, and using viegar and backing soda to clean I don't know how much more frugal you could get, and god knows I lived in some tough times, I can rember not so very long ago I used block coal and a coal and wood burner to heat our house with because we couldn't aford any heat that would have been used by electricity, and I din't use a dryer to dry clothes I hung them around the house because electric bill would be to high. I have used vinegar to mop floors in and from time to time I still do because I feel they are cleaner. and vinegar is great on windows. I know that paper towels would have been a luxuary. Old news pappers and vinegar cleaned windows better than anything that I have bought out of sny store.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by SherBear
and the only cleaning supplies I use are baking soda and Vinegar!!! You can buy them in bulk for CHEAP and they work great!
I use bleach in the toilets too...

GOOD LUCK!!!
Where do you find baking soda in bulk? All I ever see at the stores are those little boxes of baking soda.

Tami
Old 05-13-2003, 07:16 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

The biggest box I found was at Sams Club, it is 10 lbs... and geez, I am sure it was only $3 or $4.. same with the vinegar... 2 huge jugs in a box for $3...

LOVE that place!!
Old 05-13-2003, 07:25 AM

Lightbulb "What did you do frugal today" under Frugal Living Thread

Check out the above thread, it will keep you busy for quite awhile we just reached over 100 pages where you can find all kinds of frugal tips and ideas and help us keep motivated, it's kind of a AA for frugalholics

Anna
Old 05-17-2003, 05:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

SherBear - Congratulations on selling the house!!! I'm glad everything worked out!

Lisa
Old 05-22-2003, 10:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

thanks Sher bear on the info. regarding the laundry soap.
I made some a few days ago and I'm not sure if I did something
wrong but it seems a bit thick, after stirring it seems better but then I have to stir it almost every use..... any suggestions??

Thanks, 7 of us
Old 05-23-2003, 09:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sher Bear:

Could you share with me how you make your soaps? We are a family of 7 and money is always tight. Plus I work part time now and I am really trying to cut costs. Your recipies would be most helpful.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2003, 11:37 AM

7of us and Kitykat-

In case Sherbear doesn't get back on soon, go to top of thread and on the right hand side you'll see six boxes, go to the one that says search and when it come up go to the box on left and type in "Homemade Laundry" or Felsnaptha, there's a whole thread on making laundry detergent and soap. Another good place to go is "What did you do today that was frugal" and our new "What did you do today that was frugal II" under the frugal living section. the first one has 156 pages of all kinds of helpful hints, tips and experiements and we finally set up a second one today. My recipe for homemade soap is on there somewhere. So much to learn, so little time . Jump right in and ask any questions to any of us, we're all more than willing to share and learn from each other. Sherbear is also on this thread.

Anna