Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-10-2003, 11:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

As a business person, I can give you the business perspective. What do you do when business is bad? You cut every possible expense--and it looks like you're already doing that and have had great advise from other people about doing that. But in business, you always look at what you can do to create some additional income too--since it's only possible to cut so much.

Selling some stuff on ebay is a great idea! (plus the bonus is you have less stuff to move). Maybe you could make a little money babysitting for friends (babysitters seem to make a fortune these days, way more than when I was a teenager babysitting) or maybe you can do special projects at work (if you work outside of the house). If not, maybe for a short time you could do some temporary work through a temp agency?

Lastly, maybe you can look for a realtor that will guarantee to buy your house if they don't sell it within X days.

Good luck, hope the house sells quickly!
Old 05-10-2003, 12:51 PM
kellyandkids

Funny - "Help, My Budget's Gone". I like that title! I'm there right now. Surprise, the dentist tells me - $2300 worth of work on two teeth and I used up my calendar's worth of insurance waiting until January 2 to have the last tooth done. But I feel better already with the root canal part done on a tooth that up and died and was necrotic.

Need short term cash? Selling blood plasma is safe and easy if you can take 1.5 hrs and handle the needle prick. Put on a sweater before the needle. Temp work or temporary child care?

Or sell a car. Might be worth your while to let the truck go. At least look at the option and be ready to exercise it if need be. Do you have enough equity in the truck to buy a used vehicle? Might be a silly question as I have never purchased a vehicle on time. Although a friend said that tooth job is worth a whole car!

But I know moving can be a fulltime job all by itself - especially if you have kids. I agree - start a garden ASAP. The people we bought from let us start it before we moved. Very kind of them.

Check out financial planning books like Suze Orman. I believe she would say use home equity to pay bills in the short term.

Do you feel like you are an employed but unemployed person? You are living a doubled up life.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

SherBear... I found this on another thread here.. what kind of dog do you have......

Are you renting AND paying 2 mortgages???
==
I have a Golden Retriever... she is 8 mos old and her name is Angel.

She is AWESOME!!!! she is great with the kids, I also have a cat and they play all the time...

Right now we are renting in the city... but soon we are moving to our acreage and I cant wait to get her out there so that she can run and run!!! she is going to LOVE it!!!!!

==

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-10-2003, 03:04 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hey Jeannie

No, right now we are paying ONE mortgage and renting....

My dh got a new postition at Polaris and we moved from Iowa to Minnesota... we moved out here March 1 (put our house up for sale Feb 1) we did buy a house but dont get possession until June 1... SO we are renting until we get into our house that we bought.

We thought that our house would sell very quick, and when it didnt we considered walking away from the one that we had an offer on. BUT there arent many houses around here for sale and we are very excited about this one... anyways.. lol.. we got approved for the second mortgage and thought that if we didnt sell our house in Iowa then we would cave in and rent it out.

BUT as it turns out we FINALLY Got an offer this weekend and IT IS SOLD!!!!!!!!!!! THANK GOD!!!!
we get our acerage on June 1, they get possession of the Iowa house July 1...

So all is good now... we are happier than pigs in you-know-what!! LOL

thanks for all the tips!! I am still going to be frugal, cause thats just the way I am ;-) why pay high prices for things when you can get them or make them so much cheaper!!!!!

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2003, 03:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Sher bear-
Congrats! on selling your house....
I was wondering if you would be able to share with
us how you make your laundry soap and cleaners??
I also really need to tighten things up here too.

thanks,
7 of us
Old 05-10-2003, 04:45 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

HI 7 of us!!!

here is the link for Laundry soap
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=5362

there are a couple of recipes there ;-)

and the only cleaning supplies I use are baking soda and Vinegar!!! You can buy them in bulk for CHEAP and they work great!
I use bleach in the toilets too...

The laundry soap is great.. I put out about $6 a few months ago and I just whipped up a batch today. that $6 is going to last me for at least 6 months!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 05-10-2003, 05:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Congratulations, SherBear!!

I am glad to hear that you sold your house! I am sure you are sighing with relief.

Hope things go well with your move from the rental to your new home. Do you have pictures of the new place! I would love to see them!

Jenna
Old 05-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am glad to hear you sold your house. I know that is a relief. Are we still going to continue the frugal part of this thread? I had been wondering lately (since paying an extremly high electric bill) about creative, silly, innovative ways to be frugal. I always enjoy getting a bargain, but there are times when I am sick to death of NEEDING to be a tight wad. What can we do to perk ourselves up at times like that. One thing that I have done 2 or 3 times that makes me laugh when I do it is to use catsup packets. When you go through the drive thru & end up with lots of extra pakets, save them for a while. Then when I have a bunch & need catsup for a recipe...tear open & sqeeze & tear open & squeeze & tear open & squeeze & tear open & squeeze. . . I got about 1/2 to 2/3 cup. Do y'all know of any other tricks along those lines?
Old 05-10-2003, 08:37 PM
kellyandkids

I wash ziplock bags; hang to dry on the shower curtain with clothes pins. Bought the plain plastic ones for messy oily stuff or raw meats that I won't be freezing.

I use the dishwasher but air dry the dishes. Silly is staying up late to stop the dry cycle. Does that save even a dime?

I let people know that I take hand me down clothes. Especially blue jeans as I am making covers for all the furniture that I can peel off and wash. My house will be denim thru and thru. Neighbors thru out jeans on top of their bagged garbage; one pair even fit me!

A smaller trash can is all we need but only saves me $25 a year. Some of my neighbors need 2 big ones every week. We don't buy things - especially things with excess packaging and I don't take home the plastic bags. Have canvas bags or my own pockets. Helps to open Christmas and birthday gifts at grandma's trash can. Everything else goes back to Goodwill or compost or recycles directly. Best feeling $25 I've ever not spent.

And I'm lucky to be a perfect medium. Don't have a problem finding clothes. Most expensive thing I wear usually is my underwear; I splurge and get what I like there. But my tall hubby needs to pay for what fits so that gets cancelled out by him.

Cheap date: walk around the furniture store. Really can come to a consensus that way.

Make each trip away from home count; I live rurally. We made 13 stops one day when my kids were little and all in cars seats. In and out; in and out. Made an adult friend who rode along very tired.

Here's a good one: Seems no trip can be done without crossing a feeding time. Always carry a nutritious snack and water. I buy Power bars that can be $2.50 at the gas stations. I can get them thru Blooming Prairie buying club or a Sams for $1-0.85 each. Local food discounter has them right now and as I buy the whole box of 15, I get them for 30 cents. The granola kind works best in cold MN. Sure beats McDonald's and I know they are nutritious and toddler friendly.

What else do we modern penny pinchers do?
Old 05-10-2003, 10:07 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

OMGosh!! I love the denim furniture cover idea!!!

I went garage sale-ing today and there were a TON of clothes.. could have picked up some denim super cheap!

For my kids bedspreads.. Instead of buying the expensive Thomas the Tank Engine quilt.. I bought a cheap quilt and then a thomas sheet set and a cheap flat sheet.. sewed the two flat sheets together to make a quilt cover and VOILA a whole bed ensemble for LESS than the price of the expensive quilt. Plus it is easier to wash just the cover ;-)

I love the show 'Trash to Treasure' on HGTV.. got some really cool ideas to make junk into neat things!

Oh and painting rooms... root through all of the misstints at the paint store, you can get a gallon of perfectly good paint for 5 bucks!!!!