Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yup I guess I'll have to try the gravy fries!

Carol

;-)
Old 06-03-2003, 01:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Carol.. here's our recipe for cream of potato soup.. it's extremely easy and very delicious.....

2 leeks, white part only, sliced very very thin
1/2 cup onion, sliced very thin
3 Tablespns butter
1 carrot, peeled and diced fine
2 lbs potatoes peeled and diced
2 cans chicken broth, low sodium or homemade.... ( swanson, or hytop or butterball)
1 smoked pork neck bone or some smoked ham or a small smoked ham hock or smoked pork chop
2 stalks celery, peeled and diced fine
pinch thyme
1/3 cup heavy cream or half and half.. or milk...
pepper

Saute leeks, onion, celery and carrot in butter.
Add potatoes, pork neck bone or smoked ham or porkchop, chicken broth and thyme.
Bring to a boil, reduce to low heat, cover and cook until potatoes are very soft.
Remove bone or meat.
Puree half the soup in a blender....add back to pot....
Add some cubed smoked ham if you have it, or any meat off the ham bone
add the cream, and heat without boiling.......

May be served with croutons....
This is a very delicious soup.... it makes a meal...
can be served with ham sandwiches on toast...

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 06-14-2003, 04:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm not too big on creamy things, especially now that summer is finally on the way! :-) What we do like is one of my old college standbys--Lentils and Rice.

When my good friend and I got our first apartment, her grandmother took us grocery shopping (which I thought was the sweetest thing) and turned me on to Progresso's lentil soup. So for the last 15 years, whenever I need a quick and inexpensive meal I make up a big pot of rice (brown if there's time) and top it with a can of lentil soup and fresh grated parmesan.

Serve it with a plate of carrot sticks and ripe tomato slices.

Does anyone have more summer cooking ideas that are "cheap and healthy"? I'm vowing to eat more vegetables and drink more water, but there's always the hot dogs, hamburgers, and mayonaise-y salads to undermine my efforts!
Old 06-14-2003, 07:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We like tuna melts with salad, cottage cheese on toast with a tomato slice on top, taco's and taco salads. Sometimes I make a pot of chili and then freeze it in baggies, then we use the chile in the taco's, taco salads and Navajo taco's.

Carol

Old 06-16-2003, 05:55 AM

Chicken Breast Salad- boil or microwave chicken breast (micro I use a steamer basket from tupperware). chop in food processor, add mayo or miracle whip, sweet relish and dill seed if you have it.
Serve on bun with sliced tomato and chips on side, or cole slaw, or sliced cucumers.

Chicken Breast- again boil or microwave as above, serve breast on bun with condiments and tomato.

Tuna Salad served stuffed in a tomato with chips on the side.

P.S. I buy chicken breast in 5 lb. frozen bags from Gordon Food Service for around 9.00 Aldi's also has it at a reasonable price.
A little higher than other chicken parts but we're concerned about health issues. You could also use other chicken parts at a cheaper price and have the same meals and it still beats fast food in cost and healthier.

Anna
Old 06-16-2003, 07:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

When we go camping we like to make this nacho recipe -

1 pkg mac and cheese
1 can chili
sour cream
tortilla chips
lettuce, chopped
Cook macaroni until tender: drain. Add chili and cheese packet, stir. Serve over torilla chips with lettuce and sour cream on top.

Ohh, we love this stuff. If you don't have sour cream, thousand island dressing is good.

Carol
Old 01-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Here's a link to a similar thread that I started. We'll have to see if we can get Shawn or Amanda to merge the threads.

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=8020

V.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
To try to make it easier to find these frugal ideas, I am moving this thread to the FRUGAL LIVING section of the boards. You will be able to find it under here under the MAKING CENTS subforum:

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/f...s=&forumid=363

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Just wanted to note that Ive asked Happyhomeschooler to transfer the link that VJumpstart posted here as well.

If you find any other loose posts dealing with frugal meals or anything related, please let OSI or myself know about it.

Thanks
Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
This is a money saving hint!!
Did you know that you can save money when you cook your pasta? Place your pan of water on the stove and bring it to a boil, add your pasta, then bring the water back to a boil again, turn of and let sit for 15 minutes and the pasta will be cooked perfect.