Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > Making Cents

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Juliecc913, a friend's mom (there were 8 kids) used to make that when we were growing up. She called it "eggs daffodil" and I loved it!
Old 11-27-2002, 12:02 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

3 ideas

Ramien Noodles, 3-4 TBS. ragu cheese creations (cheddar) or cheez whiz, 2- 6 oz. cans tuna, lots of hot sauce. Mix and serve over crackers. Purchased at Aldi's- 12 pkgs. of noodles $1.39( .11 cents each ) tuna .39 cents each, ragu purchased on sale and with coupons .40 cents and hot sauce at Aldi's I think is .89 cents =2.18

Chicken Salad

1 lb. chicken about $3.00, 1 or 2 chopped celery purchased at Aldis .49 cents a bunch, 2 TBS. sweet relish jar is .69 cents, about 2TBS mayonaise or miracle whip. Boil chicken let cool, chop in food processor add other ingredients and serve on bread .69 cents a loaf at Aldi's or in summer we like to serve stuffed in a tomatoe. Cost=about 5.00 and easily serves 4, you can add a side dish like chips or baked potatoe too, brings the price up about .50 cents.

Egg Salad

Boil 1 dozen eggs (cool, chop in food processor)@ Aldi's right now a little higher than normal .89 cents, add chopped celery .49 cents, sweet pickle relish 69 cents, add a little mustard and mayonaise or miracle whip and serve on bread .69 cents.=2.76 and serves at least 4 with leftovers. Add fresh baby carrots on the side @ Aldi's 1 lb. is .99 cents, bringing cost up to 3.76 a meal.

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 11-27-2002 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Ajrsmom, my grandmother used to make shrimp wiggle when I was a kid, and I loved it. She also made what she called Welsh Rarebit...just a white sauce with lots and lots of cheese melted in it, and served over hot buttered toast. I loved that, too.

My mom made potato soup or corn chowder a lot when we were near the end of the week, but I didn't like those at all. Now I like potato soup, especially with either some diced ham or bacon in it, but I still don't care for corn chowder.

I think my favorite frugal meal is ground turkey gravy, mashed potatoes or rice, and some sort of canned vegetable...always buy my vegetables on sale, and I'm not brand loyal at all. You can make the gravy with ground beef if you prefer, and it stretches a pound of meat to feed four people. Some folks call it "S*** on a Shingle," too. I just brown the meat and some onions, season it any way you like...I use garlic, celery salt, pepper, a little sage, and maybe some Italian seasoning...stir in some flour, add water, and let it simmer for two or three minutes. The amount of water depends on whether you want the gravy thick or thin...up to you.

We also like "Beefless Stew," made with lentils. Make it exactly like you would beef stew, only substitue lentils for the beef. It's really good, especially with hot buttered biscuits.

Any time you need to cook with a "cream of" soup, try just making a plain white sauce instead, and add a few more seasonings than you would normally. Doesn't seem to me that there'd be too much difference, and it's certainly a lot cheaper than canned soups...much lower sodium, too, btw. I make most of my white sauces and gravies with water, as I don't buy milk due to my allergy, and usually soy or rice milk isn't in my budget. Neither of us have a problem with how the water-based sauces come out. Once they're seasoned, they're fine.

Happy cooking....and hope your holiday goes well.

"If your life seems to be all tangled up, stop struggling...sit still...God will untie the knots." __author unknown
Old 11-27-2002, 03:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Preacherswife, Eggs Daffodil, so elegant. That is now what I will call my previously named Creamed Eggs on Toast--how boring.

Oh! and I agree with the idea of substituting white sauce for cream of--don't remember to do it often enough but it is a great idea and so much cheaper and healthier.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:46 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ooh--I've often wondered how a white sauce would be with just water instead of milk! I've just never had the guts to try it lol!! I'll have to give it a try--every little bit off the grocery bill helps, ya know??

jb829--is your mom related to mine? She used to make potato soup, too. And bean soup(my dad's favorite), when money was tight. And the old standby, "SOS"--which to this day I cannot bring myself to eat! The rest of the family likes it, though. I love Welsh Rarebit--I could eat it all day!
Old 11-27-2002, 03:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Howdy Gals

Here the dollar stercher is Beans. 1 cup of dry makes about 2 cups of cook. so it goes along way. I use ham base to seasoning with. Make cornbread from selfrising cornmeal. Then if any beans left I then make chile out of them. Then the 3rd night we have taco salads out of the left over chile.

This be Tree
Old 11-27-2002, 03:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I really felt frugal today. Bought the ultimate chopper from on the tv. Decided to make my own chopped meat. Defrosted a small sirloin tip roast and chopped it in the chopper. Could not believe when I made hamburger for lunch no fat came out when I cooked it. Decided to chop some pork chops for dinner and chop it into sausage meat. Added some fennel & spices and shaped like a sausage. They were real good too no fat. Love the idea of experimenting with making new meals.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

MrsManiac, I would love to be able to claim you as a sister, lol. Unfortunately, I have no relatives that I know of in Michagan...hey, stranger things have happened, huh? As for the white sauce/gravies made with water, give it a try. I really can't tell much difference, but someone else perhaps could. Dearly Beloved loves gravy, and as long as I've got some kind of grease, flour, and water, he's a happy camper.

I forgot about bean soup...that's great stuff, too...and cheap. I cooked a ham for supper tonight, and whenever I do, I always save the bones and excess fat in the freezer for seasoning beans or whatever later on. And I also freeze the water I boil the ham in...it makes great cooking water for beans, or a good gravy base another time. Tree3, you really get your money's worth out of a pot of beans, girl. That's great.

Another frugal thing that I forgot this afternoon is leftover vegetables...I store them in a container, any and all kinds, and then make rice for another meal. There's always some rice leftover, so the next day or so I saute some onions and garlic, then add the rice and all the vegetables, and a little soy sauce...fry them all together until they're good and hot. Makes a good, cheap sidedish!!

Ajrsmom, another good, cheap meal is a pound of ground beef or turkey, brown it all up with some onions and garlic, then pour in two cans of pork and beans...bought on sale, no brand loyalty...and just get it all good and hot. You can do the same thing with two packages of Ramen noodles and their seasoning, too...just let that cook until the water is gone.

And tonight's ham will turn into ham hash(after I have some leftover mashed potatoes), ham fried rice, sandwiches, and possibly top off a pot of beans...depends on how many sandwiches we make.

I buy family packs of chicken thighs...on sale, of course...and use every bit of it...baked the first time around, and then the rest goes into a chicken soup, chicken and rice, or chicken or dumplings. Just about the only thing I can't turn into another meal is leftover fried fish, lol!!!

"If your life seems to be all tangled up, stop struggling...sit still...God will untie the knots." __author unknown
Old 11-27-2002, 07:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

A few years ago, when we had a really tough time, our last few meals of the pay period were rice or macaroni with white sauce made from oil, flour, water and curry powder. It was not my favorite, but it was acceptable and as close to free as we could get!
Old 11-28-2002, 03:32 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I miss the egg white sauce on toast.. My mother made that for us when I was young.. With 6 kids to feed this was a cheap all time favorite... Dear hubby does not like it I have make it for daughter but not for son yet.. Guess will have to make it soon.

A real cheap and easy dish to make is plain old hambuger rice peas..
Brown hamburger. Add cooked rice and frozen or canned peas.. Let cook over heat in skillet.. Like the rice to get a little crispy... That's it!!
My kids and I add a slice of American Cheese to our servings..

I also remember mom making Cabbage rolls for us kids... YUM!