Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 02-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Two of you said you work at home but did not say what type of work you do. Please tell us..... I appretiate all the info on ebay. here is one more question. What if the item does not sell? Do you still have to pay anything?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Did anyone take advantage of the free bronze memebership with shaddow shoppers?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

MKS, when I have dealt with Ebay or their other company, half.com, they charge a very, very small feel to allow you to post things for sale on their Web site. So, you do not lose much if something does not sell. You do have to have a credit card to use their services too. You will have a chance to read the details before you completely join, I believe.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks DeBora
Old 07-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We have sold a couple of things on ebay. It's fun, but I don't think we will become rich that way! LOL

A lady near me has a 'home business'. She is in touch with a guy who supplies fruit and veg to restaurants etc. She has 45 clients and they let her knopw by Friday if they want F & V this week. She orders in bulk through this wholesaler, gets a good price on delivery and then puts a margin on for herself. This will be my first order with her. The box sounds good value. When I get my first one, I will weigh everything and then price check what it would have been for me to buy at the shop. If it saves me $$ I will keep doing it. Helps her and me that way! I don't know if this would work where you are.

She said it takes her about 5 hrs on a Monday to pack the boxes, and I guess a couple of hours admin during the week. Don't know what the $$ is like for her.

I have also sold Tupperware and Kids books through party plan when my kids were little. The tupperware paid for curtains/drapes in our first home.
The books paid for swimming lessons, gym, etc when the kids were little.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

MKS!! I took advantage of the bronze membership with SS! dont know if its any good or not,I havent found any of the shops I can complete!! how about you? or anyone else that joined!! isnt it crazy that they charge soooo much for joining that site???!! have a good one!!!!
Old 07-29-2006, 06:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I do such a variety of things to try to make money since I am a stay at home mom. I have been an AVON representive for about 7 years. I also became the Admin to our District Manager in AVON and I work from home. I also do online surveys where I earn money and prizes. I belong to sites that give me points that I turn in for prizes like MyPoints. I have yet to pay full price in the past 10 years for a meals at Red Lobster. I redeem my points for gift cards. I also just gave up being a Homescan Consumer Panelist due to lack of time. I received prizes from them for my points I earned. I got a long electric griddle for making pancakes, a shop vac, and a tabletop fountain. Every year they would send me gifts like travel mugs, desk clocks, fridge magnets, pads of paper, and a gift card. I have listed items on Ebay for a few people. Hope to sell my own stuff on Ebay soon. I have also done research on the comptuer for a little extra cash. I was also an emergency back-up babysitter at a in home day care in town. I have printed items on my computer for others that don't have a computer or the patience. Sometimes I even do things to barter. For instance I just printed up a new flyer and business cards for my mother in law in exchange for vegetables from her garden. I also have a website I created that lists different people I know with the services they offer locally and if they are selling something, I put a picture and description of it on there and if it sells they throw a little bit of the purchase price my way. It is a win-win situation all the way around. I don't make a fortune from all of it but because of the extra money I make I have been able to help with some of the household bills.
E-Ma to 3

Look to the future, because that is where you'll spend the rest of your life. ~ George Burns ~

Last edited by MrsCobbler; 07-29-2006 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Mrs. Cobbler, You sound like an energetic person. Wow. How do you do the research on the computer? Is is people you know that you do the research for?
Mowire, I just signed up for the bronze membership yesterday & haven't fully looked into everything yet. Sounds like for free, you don't really get much...except a little information. Can't easily get to the real job info.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

oh, I did do my points for a long time, but I have dial up & it took waaaaay too long to open the emails. I did the nfo survey, but again, the time it took to take the survey did not make it worth the earning. For me anyway.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Nine Year Member

I've been with Avon for 10 1/2 yrs and love being to be home with my kids. I do Avon part-time about 20 hrs and make the same money if I was working fulltime for someone else making $9 hr and had to pay for daycare for 2, lunches, gas, clothes, etc. My youngest is in pre-school and has therapy appointments to work around once she is in school fulltime 2-3 yrs I'll kick things up and spend more time out of the house with my business.

For me being able to work from home also allows me the time to do other things that saves the family money. Some of the things I do are listed below.

My DH & I also do Mypoints and we get the gift cards for Red Lobster. That is our treat out 2 times a year paid with the gift cards we save $50-60 a year.

I send off for all freebies that we can use.

I use coupons at the grocery, resturants, gasoline stations, etc. which saves us $100 or more a month. Shopping & stocking up during sales saves us another $150-250 a month.

I grow tomatoes (9 plants plus the volunteers), bell pepper (6 plants) every year for the freezer and whatever else catches my eye that year. This year we planted cucumber (picked 5 so far), cantalope (have 2 growing), 3 cabbage plants (something is eating them). Will have to decide if it was worth the price of the plants vs. the produce yeilded on them for next year.

Roberta