Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 10-03-2002, 04:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

WOW! I am so excited! About 15 days ago I began to sell some of my books on Half.com, and to date, I have sold 6 books, a DVD and a CD. Some of these books I don't have hardly any money invested in, and others I've had for so long that I forgotten, but I don't read them any longer. My biggest victory was finding a Saxon math textbook in a "free" box at a garage sale, slightly beat up, but very useable. I remember how hard these were to come by when I homeschooled, and I listed it for $10.00. It took one day to sell. The postage was paid by the buyer, and I cut down an old cardboard box to ship it using old newspapers to pack it. What a victory!

Next week....I'm off to eBay!
Old 10-06-2002, 09:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mystery Shopping.

I had signed up at www.volition.com two weeks ago and have already done 4 bank evaluations and have 2 Wendy's evaluations to do for November.
It is a great job for a SAHM. And it is fun. The bank evaluatios were at the bank we have our account with, so I was able to do my banking and evaluate the service I go in doing so. I've not gotten paid yet, but it sure is worth looking into. Try the site www.freelancebyu.com. There are so many mystery shopping co. in that site it is hard to know were to begin. Also there is a page with survey site that will pay you to do surveys. I have just signed up for some, but have not been notified to do one yet.

It's hard being a home, being frugil is time consuming and a part time job in itself. Have fun checking out these options.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Assistant Moderator

I know this is a old thread, but do we still have any of you folks here that did the mystery shopper? if so how is it going? are you still with them?

any body else have any comments on the mystery shopper? if please share as I would love to find out more and how it going for you...

I do have these pages marked and will go back and look at them and see if they are still working or not.

any body else a SAHM.....?
Old 04-23-2004, 09:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi bar_bar,
I was a mystery shopper for Papa Johns. If you have a digital camera, they are always looking for more shoppers. If you're interested, I will give you the site.

Personally, it wasn't worth if for me. I had to put out the money to buy the pizza(s), then I had to wait for them to cool, cut them in a special way, take pictures of the pies straight down, then from the side, then cut the pieces in half with a special breakaway knife and put every other piece cheese-side together and take another picture. Also had to take a picture of the receipt. By the time I got done with the pictures, we were all starving and eager to attack the pies.

Then you have to upload the pictures and if they're not happy with them, you don't get paid. They reimburse you for the cost of the pizza plus a comission of $5 or $6. It was fine when we were in the mood for pizza, but it was truly more trouble than it was worth.

I have a friend that does secret shopping for theaters, apartments, Logan's restaurants and truck stops! She's not a member of this forum, but if you'd like, I can ask her if it's okay to send you her email address and you can discuss it with her. Or, I can just ask her to join family corner!!
Old 04-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Assistant Moderator

well I thank you... that is very sweet of you for gettng back with me and so sooon... I really do appreciate it..
talk with her and see if she happy with them?
and if she is let me know how long she been with them and how to go about apply with them?

then get back with me and we go from there.

again thank you..

ps it nice to meet you hope to see you around sometimes...
Old 04-24-2004, 04:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

making money!!

ok I have done some mystery shopping!!!! and some are ok!!!!!!!!! :p sure glad I havent taken ANY Papa Johns!!!!LOLOL they are ALWAYS coming to me...BUT they arent close to me sooo I dont take them!! thats kinda hard work then for one shop!!LOL anyways I have some company I work for "Chaney" and they have things to do...like count inventory...and put out new stuff!!! not too hard....BUT only pays like $10. every couple of months!!! so its ok.try to get more then one so its worth my time!!!
last time,it was hard there was a display BIGGER then me I had to put out!!!!! and pack one up!!!!
And I am liking the tips on what to do on ebay and all.thanks ladies!! havent tryed it yet. BUT HOPEFULLY will.
take care...
Old 04-24-2004, 04:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

Hi Bar_Bar,

Nice to meet you too. I sent an email to my friend presenting all of your questions. As soon as I hear back from her, I'll let you know what she said.

Oh, and I am also a stay-at-home mom that homeschools my 13-about-to-turn-14 year old son.

If you are considering working as a mystery shopper - which is actually not working "at home" - perhaps you should consider pizza delivery. I've heard that they make really good money. I used to ride a motorcycle before my sons were born; now that they're 16 and almost 14, I have the itch again to get out and RIDE!!! I just may have to consider delivering pizzas so I can get another bike!!
Old 05-04-2004, 01:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

Okay Bar_Bar,
This is the response I got from my friend who did the Mystery Shopping:

"I mostly went to the website you told me about a long time ago, www.volition.com. There, I read the boards about different jobs, and then went through the whole list looking for companies that I thought would be interesting. When I wasn't as busy as I am now, I did enjoy it, especially the apartment shops. Some of the forms are tedious, time consuming, and redundant. I just enjoyed getting to look at all of the apartments...the money was just an extra thing. It would usually take me about an hour for each apartment shop depending on where I had to drive, and then a couple of hours for the report. Most of them pay about $20 - $25, so that is okay pay -- nothing fantastic! The easiest money I made was with www.certifiedreports.com. They send you on different types of assignments, like the movie seat counts, beer counts in grocery stores, cd counts in stores, phone card shops, etc. Most of all of their assignments are just one page reports and you usually get paid $8 per shop which take anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour. Of course, most of the restaurant shops I did were through the same company as the pizza shops. Those are nice to get free dinners and tip reimbursed. You don't get any extra money, just the dinners."

So that's it. The restaurant shops can be found at http://www.mysteryshops.com/. You would sign up on the right where it says Auditors.

Good luck! Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Re: Working at home

Quote:
Originally posted by Shelly9963
I'm not sure what kind of skills you may have - but I work from home doing medical transcription work. I have a friend who knew how to type but didn't know the medical words so she took a medical terminology class through her local college over the internet, so she didn't have to leave home even for the class. If you look in your local yellow pages under "Medical Records" or something similiar to that - and call around. Alot of place will provide the equipment you need and help with training. I know with my two little ones - a 3 and 4 year old, the job works great for me and I make a pretty decent living - about 800 to 1000 a month for pretty much part-time work and I'm doing it from home, which is really important for me and my family.

Shelly
Shelly,
I am wanting to do this but don't know how to get started. When I search thE internet it gives me a ton of companies that cost ALOT of money to get started. ow did you get started? Did you pay alot of money? I am desperately wanting to stay home with my daughter (will be here 6/22/04) but my husband says we can not afford for me to stay home unless I am making some income comparable to what I bring home now. Or at least since we won't be paying daycare.

TX Chef Fran
Old 05-07-2004, 02:29 PM
kellyandkids

real cost of work would surprise you

I don't have the time to do the research for you right now. But the real cost of work would surprise you. At one point, because I tracked my expenses, I knew I was netting only $1 per hour while working. There are some great books in the lib about the real cost and how to live on one income. Try Miserly Mom. And teh Complete tightwad gazzette is so funny. Als

Also, recent study/paper was about how much poorer families are today because two people working means there is no one to pick up the slack temporarily while one is unemployed. I know if my hubby gets layed off I can be working at the local factory within the week. Local is relative at about 10-25 miles from home.

Two working means double expenses and double the stress. See what your expense really are before he makes you jump for a pie in the sky number.

Try Miserly Mom. And the Complete Tightwad Gazzette is so funny. Also change your view of the purpose of work with the Millionaire Next Door and the Rich Dad Poor Dad series. All at the library. And find a support group with faces - not that we aren't as helpful as possible.