Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 09-09-2002, 09:33 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Felicia,
Thanks for sharing this valuable information about ebay. I too have wanted to sell some stuff on ebay to declutter but never knew where to start. I'm supposed to get together with a friend who said she'd help me get started, but we haven't been able to coordinate our schedules. I'm too busy (or is it lazy? ) to read through the site for instructions, so this has been very helpful.

Thanks a million! You're an angel!
Old 09-09-2002, 12:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ok, I finally took the plunge and went to Half.com to sell a few children's books, a CD and a DVD movie. So far, it was pretty painless. Has anyone else sold on Half.com before? I wondered what kind of response you get.

I'm also going to begin to gather and get ready my things for photographs and give eBay a try this weekend hopefully. It seems as if maybe I'm gettin over my fear of selling stuff on the internet.

I did go to a thrift store today and found a nearly new hardback book for only 10 cents! I found it on Half.com for over $7.00! I think if my girls get tired of it after a while, I could stand to make a tidy little profit!

Love ya all!
Joyce
Old 09-09-2002, 04:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Post More Ebay tips/idea

The way I price items is one of two ways. I either go to ebay and type in the item I want to sell and see what it is going for and start the price at that or if I spent alot on something I put the starting bid at what I would consider the lowest price I would want to get for the item. When I sell my childrens clothing as Lot of clothes, rather than just one item at a time, then I make the most money for it. And if you sell more than one item of clothing you should word it that way, Lot of Clothing. It sells easier because that is the words people use in the search engine. Also I will go to ebay and see how someone typed the description for an item simular to what I am selling so I have and idea how to word it and if my shipping charges are close to what they have. As for half.com or the others I have bought at half.com and amazon.com however never been a seller there. The prices are not always as good as ebay but sometimes its way better. It is a good idea to check both if your buying. Ebay is very easy to sign up with. They changed their format and it is so much simpler. Good luck. I hope your items sell well.
Felicia
Old 09-09-2002, 05:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Working at home

I work at home, too. I have never tried Ebay, maybe I will look into it.
I have found that working at home gives me more time to have hobbies, because I pick WHEN to work.
I aslo need to sell my Kids comic book collection their Dad left them.
Sorry, I guess I'm rambling.
Email me if you have questions or comments!
[email protected]

Stang Home And Loving It!
Old 09-10-2002, 12:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ebay thoughts...

Hi Felicia. I too have thought of selling things on Ebay. I have bought many things from Ebay and was always happy with everything. I just never knew how to get started. I guess I need to stop putting it off and check it out. I am a part time hairstylist/nail tech. and a full time Mom so I am always looking for something to make some extra money. THanks for all the tips. I will check it out.

Stacy
Old 09-11-2002, 09:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Re-dyeing clothes

I have been re-dyeing clothes here and they are coming our looking wonderful! You know how faded black t-shirts get, or navy blue? Try some Rit dye....I found some at Wal-mart for $1.84

It has spruced up my old white towels...they are now Royal Blue and I dyed some Pink.

My DS and DH t-shirts are redone with Navy dye...they look so great! Why didn't I think of this before?

My DH had a pumpkin color chamois shirt I got for him last fall, it faded so bad..I used orange dye and it looks like brand new! I am sold!

Now I am looking at everything twice to see if re-dyeing it would work!lol

janet
Old 09-15-2002, 06:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Mystery Shopping

Musicmom1 - how many mystery shopping co's do you work for? Or can you only work for 1 at a time? Do they send your payment on time or have you run into trouble with that? Are they flexible with the locations, dates, etc?

I'm curious, but a little skeptical also.

Thanks,
Lisa
Old 09-15-2002, 09:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi all! I've joined a few different mystery shopping companies, you can join more than one at a time. . . I've done work for 2 of them. Only one job for one and the rest for the other BestMark. BestMark emails you with all the opps. for each month then you email or call the guy in charge of your area and sign up for whatever shops you want to do. You're not obligated to do any. Most of the ones that Best Mark offers are restaurants, so basically all you get is 'free' dinner up to a certain amount for your work and time. We think it's a pretty good deal, the other company that I did one job for doesn't have all that much in my area. . . the one shop I did for them was at a store that was about 30 mins away, but we were already going to be in that area visiting so I took a stab at it. . . it wasn't all that bad and I made an extra $10. I haven't found anything where you make very much $, it all depends on the area you're in, and some shops are specifically for certain age groups or sex, so you may or may not qualify.

I haven't had any problems with payments, some send checks and some pay you through paypal, some ONLY pay through paypal!

For the most part shops don't need to be done on a specific day, time, they usually give you a choice between 2-3 days and give a range of time that it needs to be done in, and you usually need to tell them which day you will be doing the shop. If it happens to be on a day that you can't do it, let them know and they either can change it, or you just decline. You only start to get in trouble when you say you can do it and then you don't!

Hope this helps!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!

Old 09-16-2002, 08:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Dog Sitting

I can make extra money at home by Dog Sitting for people when they have to go out of town. It is nice for them to have a place where their dog "lives" with a family...instead of a cage. I get up to $10.00 a day to do this, less if they bring their own food. I walk them everyday, play catch and usually they are having fun with my 2 neutered dogs. Now of course I only watch dogs that are pleasant and one at a time. I am a dog person so this is great for me.

janet
Old 10-02-2002, 10:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Amyphoto, Could you send me info on Bestmark? I'd like to give them a try...
Thanks!!! Bett