Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 09-02-2002, 11:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am also interested in selling on EBay. Did I see a board thread started about hints and tips for Ebaying?? If not, could one be started? I can use all the help I can get!
Old 09-03-2002, 05:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I would recommend some kind of business like Pampered Chef, Tupperware, Avon, etc. I personally sell Pamp Chef. In the past I have sold Tupperware, Usborne books, Avon (twice). With Avon it is sometimes helpful to keep an inventory in your home but not always necessary. I kept nothing on hand and just ordered what they wanted. With Usborne books I did not let my children touch them as I did not want them torn up and I did not do very well with it as a business. I liked Tupperware pretty well but after awhile it became old to me and I got tired of it. I knew lots of women who were doing great it in and the products are not that heavy to carry. With Pamp Chef you do have to carry the products unless you do a catalog show. I use the items in my kitchen all the time then gather them for a show. If it breaks then it can be replaced. And how will I tell them about a product if I don't use it myself? I have been doing it now for a little over 2 years and I am loving it. It provides extra income, I do it when my husband is home and he has quality time with the kids. I highly recommend them (even if I was not an active consultant I would say that)!!! They even made the initial investment cost even less and if you host a show first and then join you can use you host points to get the kit for even less! As little as $50 can get you tons of tools and paperwork
Hope that you find something that works for you. You could also try putting you things in a local thrift shop.
Good luck,
Jennifer
Old 09-03-2002, 09:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ebay thread?

I want to sell things on ebay, but I have been procrastinating. It seems like things sell better w/a picture. I don't have a polaroid or a scanner. I do have a webcam (not set up yet), would that get a picture on ebay? I don't understand that part. I also wonder how you know how much things weigh and how much the s&h will be. Do you have a scale? Where do you get your mailing packaging? Doesn't that cost money as well? I would love to read everyone's tips on selling via ebay or other auction site. I have SO much here to sell! Thank you in advance!

Becky
Old 09-03-2002, 09:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi I just started an at home job three hours a day. Pays well and I love it.

Last edited by kimmyo; 09-04-2002 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Internet options

I'm a SAHM of 3. I used to sell Home Interiors and Avon, but it was too much of a hassle, and I really had to spend a lot of time away from home anyway.
Now, I do some Internet marketing and freelance writing. For Internet marketing, I focus on two things: http://betterbroker.financialcircuit.com and http://ld.net . [edited by moderator]
They are both free. I place classified ads (about once a month for each). I made $300 on my first classified ad for financial circuit.
If you are good at writing, there are several sites that offer freelance positions. I always do searches to look for jobs.
I hope some of this helps!
-Sheila

Last edited by kimmyo; 09-04-2002 at 04:39 AM.
Old 09-04-2002, 10:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

[edited by moderator]

If you really like to sew you could do sewing alterations. People come to your home with what they want done and you do the work in your spare time. As your reputation grows so does your income.

Hope these ideas help.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

ebay advice

Here is some ebay advice I can give for anyone thinking of doing online auctions.
First sign up with either paypal or ebay online payments. I prefer paypal but you should research both and decide for yourself. It is so much easier to recieve payments by using one of these services. If you decide to accept personal checks for payments then make sure you do not send the item until u r sure the check has cleared. When u list your auction give detailed description of item. Include any damage, rips, tears, stains etc. If you have a digital camera it is easy to take photos and load it on ebay, the first photo is free but u have to pay if u put more than one photo in an auction. U can have several auctions with one photo and not pay but if u insert more than one photo in each individual auction u must pay extra. When I list an item I put the item auction number on the prepackaged box so when the auction is over I dont accidently ship the wrong item out. As far as calculating shipping charges I prepackage the item and weigh it on my bathroom scale....lol and go to www.ups.com to get and estimated cost of shipping. I use California because for me its the furthest away and the most expensive and then I add extra for the cost of listing the item and shipping materials and that is how I calculate my shipping price. I state that the shipping/handling is whatever amount and that insurance is optional at and extra 1.30 added to the total winning bid amount. So if I went to ups and it said the shipping was 6.00, I would add like another dollar and make it 7 dollars shipping/handling with optional insurance at 1.30 extra. Ebay is easy and not really time consuming. If you have a web cam you can use that to take photos for the auctions. I do not own one but I know someone who has one and uses it that way. Any specific questions please ask and I will answer as best I can.
Felicia
Old 09-06-2002, 05:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

You ladies have great idea! I looked into the mystery shopping, and tried ebay before. With ebay I had a lot of problems getting the pictures from my computer to their page. Any tips?
Old 09-07-2002, 06:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

ebay picture tips

I always make sure my photos are sized down to about 600x400 if your photo is too large it wont upload to ebay properly. I use the camedia program that came with my digital to resize the photos. If you dont know how to resize it tell me the name of the program you use for your photos and I might be able to help. Also ebay changed their program for uploading pictures and it is very simple to do now. Much easier than the old way. To be honest I believe that they even down size your pic automatically if it is in too large a format but I cant swear to that. I would have to go back on ebay and look. Pictures definately make the items sell quickly. Good Luck.
Felicia
Old 09-08-2002, 03:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

ebay

I would like to sell on ebay too!!!!! my girlfriend does it ALLL the time and has had good luck with it!!! and she buys stuff ALL have been good also!!!!!
I WANT TO DO THAT TOO!!!!!!!!!!!
I know it wont make me rich BUT I would like to try I have some stuff I have been collecting!!! how do you price the things...? see I dont even know that!!!!!
any tips would help!!!
I put my name in for a mystery shopper too...but nothing YET!!! I dont know how that works eithr!!!!!!!!! LOL
oh well.....have a great day all!!!!!!!!!
today is was just beautiful in NJ!!!!
see ya