Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

As some of you may know, I have been out of comission due to a back injury for a couple of months...

My husband has been grocery shopping, and our budget has suffered mightily as a result. Two weeks ago he spent $325.00 on groceries. (He actually bought pork chops at $6.29 a pound. I told him buy meats on sale. He said the chops looked yummy. I wanted to cry. )

This time, two weeks later...he still spent $325.00,( you can't get a zebra to change his stripes) BUT I made a list from the store's circular, listing the loss leaders BY NAME, and organizing my coupons, as well as writing down all the store card special items by name for him as well. (It took about an hour of my time to do this. ) I paper clipped the coupons by aisle...so he could take them out bundle by bundle....................and drumroll please.....

We saved $129.94 off the grocery bill! Tah Dah!!! $195.06 for 2 weeks of groceries tht rang up at $325.00!!. This included a lot of chicken and beef as well as laundry supplies, personal hygene and cleaning items. Double coupons helped a lot. and combining coupons with store specials got us a couple of things for nearly free.

It's official I'm hooked! I can't wait to get the Sunday paper

I'm still working on my want/wish list... figuring out my brand names is more chalanging than I thought..My brain is always in a fog!

I'll keep you updated on my new found hobby

Val
Old 09-01-2002, 08:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Lifestar, You did GREAT!!!! I wish our stores would double coupons....I haven't had that luxury for 10 years. I used to spend $130.00 a month...for 3. Those were the days...now we have to watch everything when we shop.

The good thing is my ways of shopping are rubbing off on my DS. I saw a winter jacket on sale for $184.00 I said hmm...I should try it on, my DS pipes up WHY!!! You would never paid that for a coat! He was right...I liked it but NOT that MUCH$$$$.

janet
Old 09-01-2002, 01:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lifestar, I am majorly impressed. I can't believe you got your husband to cooperate so well. That is quite a feat for a woman who really wants to do it, but for a man who doesn't, OMG, you go girl!!!!!!

Sorry about your back. Can't imagine what that must be like. You sound pretty organized to me and it appears you're being an awful big help in any way you can.

I got my coupon wish list together and emailed it yesterday. I found it easy to go through my coupons when I made my list. I saw things I knew I bought and it also reminded me of other things I like to buy. Then I looked through my pantry. I'm sure I forgot something really important, but Carol assured me I can add to it as needed. I'll be mailing her my coupons and stamps on Tuesday.

The stores here in Tampa also do NOT double coupons, so it takes some "creative shopping" to get the best deals. I consider it a challenge, tho. My mom recently told me that she always thought she was the best bargain shopper - til she went shopping with me. I think it's because I have the power of the internet and she refuses to learn how to use a computer.

Yep, I just love you guys!! Have a great weekend.

Katie
Old 09-02-2002, 05:22 PM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yep....it's me...

Val ~ ~

Here Comes
the DRUMROLL.....
You know that I love hearing of 'savings'. Go Girl! I'm sure that you can't wait to be pushing that shopping cart once again! How is your back coming along? I feel for you....back injuries are the most awful, in my opinion.

Around the holidays ~any~ none of our papers have any coupons in them. I'm not a 'happy shopper' during holidays. I just am in 'love' with those coupons, and my every~ready 'sharp' sissors!! LOL

janet,
A coat for $184.00? and 'on sale' to boot????? Must have been some coat.?.? What type was it? I find alot of store items that I fall madly in love with, and like your DS...would I? and just how much use would I get out of it?. Quite often, I just throw the "goodies" into my cart, travel around the store debating with 'my self' on 'yes' or 'no'? By the time I've gotten the original items I went to the store for, I've convinced myself ~ ~ I don't really 'need' these extras. Then I precede to return those items. LOL - I learned long ago not to impulse buy ~ I ended up not saving anything back then.

Katydid987,
Will be waiting for your coupons and list. Yes, you can always add or delete from your list ~ no problem.

TTFN ~ ~ ~

Carol Ann
autumnmum 2002
"Coupon~Aholic's"
Swap Club ~ 2002
[email protected]
Old 09-02-2002, 05:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hello Autumnmum,

Yes, the coat, was a Columbia jacket. On sale for $184.00 I never would pay that much! lol Funny I didn't realize my DS was paying attention to how I shop. My winter jacket I have now is 9 yrs old but it is not worn or torn or nothing, I like it, it has a hood lined with raccoon trim.(sorry animal people) Microfiber material that always looks new.Who would of guessed??? My old boss wanted to buy my coat from me...crazy hey? I guess it is a keeper!

janet
Old 09-02-2002, 07:39 PM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

shocking janet.....

Hi,
Yes, with the winters
you get up north, sounds like you
have a warm coat already. Funny.....
to be talking of winter when our days down here are still in the 80's.

I've got my U.of M.jacket, that I can't part with. Can't tell you just how long I've had it. It's like my tennies.... won't part with them either. Very comfy. I'll be wearing them til they actually fall off! I have a hard time finding my size shoe.

Guess it's my time for bed. My eldest daughter took me to the Pontiac Eats, Arts, and Beats yesturday and I'm still recovering from hours of walking. Loved every minute of it!

Carol Ann
autumnmum 2002
"Coupon~Aholic's"
Swap Club ~ 2002
[email protected]
Old 09-04-2002, 03:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

For coupons you may want to register at www.dealexpert.net as there's a section there, plus a lot of other things that may interest you.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Didn't I tell you guys that Anjie was soooooo sweet. I just got another email from someone here and I told her that freelancebyu was my favorite site. It's a wealth of information.

Did you guys get your wish lists together to email to Carol??? I did mine and I'm excited to see what she'll send me in return. Thanks Carol!!!! I really appreciate what you're doing.

Katie
Old 09-06-2002, 07:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I love the way this thread has gone so many different directions, all with useful information! My question is this: when you have signed up with these internet sights and contests, have you had trouble with endless junk emails? I used to be signed up with several free &/or coupon sites. I kept getting email from places I had never heard of. I spent probably hours unsubscribing from almost everthing but family corner & dollar strechter. The info in these emails is so usefull. Anyway the feelance site & others sound good, but I don't want to be caught in that time wasting cycle again...
MKS
Old 09-06-2002, 08:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Good morning. I know what you mean about spam. The freelancebyu site is run by an individual. There is no spam. I do have to tell you, tho, it does depend on what types of things you click on. Most of the links on her site are national brand companies. No spam. I usually request to be on the email list of the companies I'm interested in so I can take advantage of the coupons and samples they offer. There are some sites I avoid. You can tell which ones to avoid by the number of boxes you have to uncheck!! I also regester at my favorite product sites. Red Lobster has a game on their site and you get a coupon for a free appetizer or dessert just for playing!! Many send a coupon to use on your birthday as well. I do have to unsubscribe sometimes, but I find it quick and easy to do. Feel free to go to the freelance site without joining. You don't have to give your email address to take advantage of the offers she has listed.

Katie