Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 07-30-2008, 02:40 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Recycling aluminum cans for cash?

I haven't actually done this in years, but a friend of mine has one of those can crushers in their garage (we have one too) and has been saving cans for about 5 months now. They plan to take them to the recycling center just before Christmas and see what they end up with. They drink a lot of pop and beer (LOL) and so they go through a lot of cans.

My husband and my son drink a lot of pop but not nearly as much as they do. I usually just throw them into my recycle bin and put them out for the recycle truck every other week.

Does anyone here recycle their cans for cash? Just wondering if it's really worth the time and the space they take up storing them for when it's time to take them in.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:41 AM

Yes, it is worth the time and space. Dh saves them and one of the neighbors brings their cans over here. He also brings all the cans home from the library.
My ex-daughter-in-law collects cans also.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky recycling aluminum cans

If you have a crusher and an empty can set up in your garage it is very simple to start saving aluminum cans. I recently turned mine in at the center. I had been saving for a little over a year and had 2 large garbage bags full, worth $8.50. I live by myself, but if you have a family and neighbors to donate, you could make a little bit of spending money. A fun project for kids and to teach them the value of saving.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:17 AM

my husband recycles cans. he crushes them by stepping on them in the middle first, then the two ends. keeps him out of trouble, lol.
he gathers 8-10 trash bags full, then takes them in. we usually use the cash for gas for the vehicles and some for groceries or a meal out.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Nine Year Member

I save the tabs for the Ronald McDonald House via a local school, and the cans go for the Shriners Burn Center via the same local school. I step on them to crush them a bit and when I have 3-4 plastic grocery bags on my back porch I swing by the school and drop them off.

Roberta
Old 08-01-2008, 06:24 PM

Roberta, I have saved tabs for a long time, but never knew who to give them to. Any chance you have a contact name and address I can get in touch with to send them to?
Old 08-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Nine Year Member

I give them to the local catholic school as they collect them as a service project. When my oldest was attending that school they also collected daily needs items and food for the Ronald McDonald House closest to us.

But I would check with your local Children's Hospital /Ronald McDonald House as they probably have a donation site that you can drop them off at. I think some fire stations collect them as well for the house.

Roberta
Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 PM

Happy face

When our family had a campsite, we saved the cans & at the end of the camping season, we would take them all in & use the money to have a "last bash". From Memorial Day to Labor Day, we had 6 55 gallon drums full. There were 4 of our family members, plus some friends would stop by & bring sodas or beer with them & left the cans . We didn't crush them since the recycling center wouldn't take them if they were crushed. Seems some people were cheating by putting rocks inside them & then crushing them to make them heavier. We got about 50.00 for all of them. We bought all the fixins for our last get together for the year & no one had to bring anything extra.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Nine Year Member

We have a recyling shed here in our development where we store all of our cans. At the end of the month the men load them on a pickup for the recyling center. With 650 homes they make quite a bit.
The first three months of this year they collected 725 pounds of aluminum for a total of $712.67 going into our general fund for improvements.
When we recyle here the money stays here.
Now I hear you can get money for recyling golf cart batteries too.
_______
Sueanne

Old 08-02-2008, 12:42 PM

I'm not sure if our local fire departments collect tabs or not.
The closest Ronald McDonald house and Children's Hospital are at least 45 miles away.
I guess I could see if there is a website wiht info.