Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 04-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

They have never charged us till now or rather July. And for those that do continue it will be part of their trash bill too. I'm glad I have 2 cans as going to need it with bottles plastic and glass ones as well as cereal boxes etc
Old 04-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Nine Year Member

We still save the cans and my son gets $.50 per pound when we cash them in. We recycle here too. Already have a charge I think added on to the utility bill. Use to have small bins. But the city changed to huge bins with wheels for all. They collect all kinds of paper, plastic bottles, tin cans rinsed out, and corgated cardboard too. No glass jars at the curbside or oil. Those have to be taken to the collection sight along with grass and yard waste. Yard waste is charged extra if collected on the curbside. Anything for a buck any more.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 AM
Head Moderator

Pag36, you might check with a local animal shelter or pet store. They usually are always in need of newspapers for lining cages. Or, if you know someone that has a wood burning stove; we use the black and white only for starting fires in ours and DS can use anything even the color pages in his. I actually collect the newspaper from an individual for this purpose.

We recycle everything! The cans we collect and take in ourselves to an place that pays for them. Used to use them for a friend of one of the DS's as extra cash for his friends schol tuition. Now we just use it as pocket cash.

Not really any problem crushing them and storing them. We have a tin, glass, aluminum, and plastic can we use for recycling. When they get full we cart them into the local recycling place. We also gather all cardboard including food boxes (cereal, crackers and etc).

We don't have any garbage collection here so recycle started as a must, but also makes you feel good to know you aren't putting it all into a landfill somewhere! We have compost for foods (for what the chickens can't eat), and then burn the paper goods that are burnable. About every 6 weeks I have a grocery bag full of non recycle or non burn items and a friend or relative just lets me drop that into their garbage bin.

Might as well turn the cans in for cash; always nice to have a way to get some cash!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I think the SPCA uses papers but they are not that close to me and since I don't drive makes it hard to get them there. I am so hoping they change their minds and don't charge us and continue the way it has been done for years
Old 04-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Head Moderator

That's a shame they are going to charge you extra to recycle! Most cities are trying to get people to recycle, but charging extra will only make people not! I do know some some areas that you must recycle; that is is not an option, but they don't charge extra for it. I hope they will change their mind!