Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 07-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
Some states have a return policy. In Maine it was .05 a can and it does add up. Here we do not have that but dh gets cans and he uses it for gas money, he gets around 8.00 to 12.00 depends on how many bags he takes and the weight.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I have always collected cans because I feel that I am throwing out a few cents each time I do. I let them collect until I have a trunk or car full then I take them in and get enough to go out to McDonald's or rent several movies. We did something to save the planet and had fun doing it.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Nine Year Member

I would suggest calling around your local area to find places that will pay for aluminum, plastic, glass, newpaper, etc. and ask if they pay more for larger amounts. Prices will vary by town and the amount you are taking in, crushing the cans will save a lot of space and cut down on the number of loads you have to take in.

Roberta
Old 11-12-2011, 05:48 PM

In my area, there are some places that won't take the cans if they are crushed. Seems like there were some not so nice people that put rocks & dirt/sand in the cans then crushed them so they'd be heavier to get more money. It does take up more space but at least they can't cheat to get more money.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:04 AM
Assistant Moderator

Anyone still do this?

Old 04-17-2012, 03:51 AM

Yes, we do.

My husband mows lawns for people, so when he turns in the cans, he puts the money aside for lawn mower repairs etc.

Of course he gives me a little bit for my WALK TO CURE DIABETES team.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 AM
Nine Year Member

We save our cans and I give them to my sister, as does our Mom and their son, they save them and turn them in once a year. The local scrap yard pays more for 100 pounds (105 24pks avg) so they save them up crushed in large trash bags.

Roberta
Old 04-17-2012, 06:56 AM

I don't get too many myself, but when I do I give them to my grandson. He saves them up til he has alot & then takes them in. He uses the money for gas for the lawnmower & his truck.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

They are going to start charging us $6.95 per month to take our recycle so will not be doing it any more. But Kent is going to start crushing again and take them when he gets enough. They go thro' way more cans especially Pepsi and Sprite than I do. I am going to see if I can find somewhere to take my newspaper hate to just throw it away. This fee is going to cause a lot of people to quit recycling. I am hoping the Board of Supervisors change their mind on the fee. It is suppose to start July
Old 04-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Nine Year Member

Our recycle charge is built into the trash bill now, used to be shown individual now we pay $18.43.

Roberta