Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-03-2008, 05:34 AM
Nine Year Member

We collect cans and cash them in last time we had about $10.00. And I let my son have it for spending money. As I don't really give him an allowance. We just usually buy what he needs for school, scouts and other things.

I have a rather large black bag that the guy at the recycle place gave me last time as I had six smaller trash bags then. Last time I cashed the cans in it was 25 cents a pound. Not sure what it is today tho.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:53 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks everyone, I think this is great. Now I'm thinking that it would be a nice way for the kids to earn money and give them a chore at the same time. With 4 kids, I will need to figure out how to divvy up the responsibility.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:21 AM

VicRae, our local recycling center is currently paying 85 cents a pound for aluminum.

Amanda, you could have one rinse them out, onje put the in the container, one crush and one put into bags. If they are given the money to spend, it might encourage them to do it.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:28 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

That's a good idea, except that they are rarely all here at the same time LOL

I may have to set up a station in the garage and label a bag for each kid. Then they can do it independently and collect their own cans.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Nine Year Member

Coll, if there isn't a more local collection center maybe you could start one with the help of a school or church to have the cans at. Would only have to go when there was a truck load to take to the center. I'm sure the Ronald McDonald houses have information packetts that they would send out.

Roberta
Old 08-03-2008, 09:13 AM

Amanda, a bag for each kid sounds like a good idea.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:43 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

When I was a girl scout leader we did this for a fundraiser. It was 1 of our largest $ makers. All the cans had to be crushed. I have a very large garage and we would store them in trash cans until we got alot. My dad was a sweetheart and would take them to the place for me. I filled out paperwork for being a non profit group and the place that we went to gave us 5 cents more per lb. When I stopped being a leader the new leader keep this going. Another parent started taking the cans to the same place. The troop makes a few hundred $ a year off collecting cans.

My dad still collects cans for himsefl and puts the money away for his hunting trips. So our cans now go to grandpop and his mini vacations.

Charlotte
Old 01-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

They are worth saving. You will not go rich by saving them, but you got to think you normally throw them away, so if you save them it is some extra money
Old 07-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Nine Year Member

We have a business in town that takes metal, cans, etc. and gives you more per pound if you have 100lbs worth. I crush & save my cans and give to my sister to add to their collection as what I have doesn't amount to much. They took the cans in last fall and received over $300 for what they had which was a couple trips with 2 pickup trucks.

I was told years ago that 25 cans equaled a pound of alluminum.

Roberta
Old 07-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

My SIL across the street bought a crusher awhile back I send mine over there for them which makes g-son happy.
My hubby and I use to crush our own and take 4-5 bags full at a time. Don't remember how much per pound then.