Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

View Poll Results: Your coin jar - are you losing money?
The article was an eye opener! 6 16.67%
The article made me rethink my coin jar 9 25.00%
I already knew everything in the article 9 25.00%
I don't collect change 7 19.44%
I do something different - what? 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I had a container of change before we moved and it sure came in handy going through all the toll booths in Illinois on our trips back and forth.

Liz
Old 07-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Nine Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyCorner
Yep! We've used it for this too We've also dipped into the change jar for the ice cream truck
I've dipped into hubby's change jar for lunch money, ice cream truck, laundromat...and I don't always tell him either
Old 07-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Same here.Nice concept except for me the money always finds a way to be spent.
Mish
Old 07-23-2008, 09:52 AM

Dh has had a large can for saving change for years. Plus he has change in a small jar that he keeps track of. Counts it and puts a piece of paper with the amount on it in the jar. Makes sure I don't sneak any out.
I have a smaller can that I keep my change in and I put it someplace nobody else knows about. My way of getting even for that counted change in his jar.

We use the credit union and they don't charge for taking our change. Their machine sorts and counts.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Our bank doesn't charge either. Usually we roll the coins after they build up, then the remaining ones are put in the counter at the bank. The last change was used to buy Chad his new skate board accessories-HE bought them!

Unknown
Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My bank doesn't charge me for taking my change or for counting it. In the past I have saved my change in an old cookie jar and then on New Years Eve I sit down and roll all of it. (Yeah I know, I need to get a life.) I have saved up to almost $300 in one year. I have used my yearly savings to buy things for my computer, bought a couch, had work done on my car, etc.

However, since I retired my monthly check is direct deposited so I very rarely have cash anymore. I really don't like it. There's something about actually having cash to hand to someone. It reminds me of that feeling when I was a kid and went to the salvage store to buy candy. LOL

Tonya

America's Military - Get Behind Them or Feel Free to Get in Front of Them
Old 12-27-2008, 07:06 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Our credit union doesn't charge but DH says that maybe if you aren't a member they would.He said if we were to cash our checks at a different bank there would be a fee paid.
I like the idea of adding the $1 bills to the jar but would do it along with the change.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Nine Year Member

I have to say, during these hard financial times of 2008 my family has faced, having that coin jug has really come in handy. It paid for my kids to go to the county fair, movie and popcorn bargain nite and right now, we are going to save towards our family vacation in July09. Sure it might not be a lot, but it is $30+ more towards having a fun vacation and staying on budget.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:45 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

My bank doesn't charge for counting change. Besides change. Dh and I save all the 1$ bills with the Letter H on them. If you look at the 1$ bill they have letters on them. They are the only one. We have an envelope and we put all the ones with H on them. Then in June on our anniversary we use that money to do something special for just the 2 of us.

We use the letter H because our last name starts with the letter H.

I know my husband took his can of quarters to the bank a few weeks ago and bought me my christmas present. He won't tell me how much he had in the can. I did get a nice digital camera for Christmas.

Charlotte
Old 12-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I've worked as a waitress for many years and have saved my change in tins to put into savings at the end of the month verses going every week...a full eight in in diameter is usually $200 or so with a mixture of coins.Quarters add up quickly, 40 = $10 and doesn't take up much space My lil guy is getting a big kick out of all the cool smiles on here LOL