Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
It's Yard Sale Time Again!

We had a moving sale last weekend and sold a lot of stuff! We are going through the house tonight to collect whatever else we can get rid of and adding it to what was leftover from last week to have another sale tomorrow.

I cannot believe how much "stuff" and JUNK that I have in this house! I pricing everything to go!!

Anyone else planning a yard sale soon?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 05-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Here's a great article from the FamilyCorner.com Frugality Newsletter:

Garage Sale Survival Tips
by Deborah Shelton

Spring cleaning fever has hit, and you know what that means: garage sale time! Don't let those boxes stacked in the corner overwhelm you. Garage sales don't have to be a hassle. Before you decide to display your wares in the driveway however, ask yourself why you're having the sale. Do you just want to get rid of the clutter? If so, donating to the Salvation Army or a local church is probably best. If your goal is to make some extra cash while finally getting a chance to meet the neighbors that you've lived next door to for five years, then maybe a garage sale is your best bet. Here are 10 simple ways to make your garage sale a hassle-free success.

ADVERTISE & THEY WILL COME
Most small community newspapers offer free garage sale notices, so take advantage of that. If possible, organize a multi-family sale and list a few of the items that will be available. If deed restrictions in your neighborhood allow it, handwritten "bandit" signs posted in the area will attract more people. Please remember to keep the neighborhood beautiful by removing the signs when your sale is over!

THE MORE, THE MERRIER
People are more likely to shop at your sale if there is a crowd gathered. This is another reason multi-family sales work so well. If you're hosting your own sale, ask friends and family to stop by and help out. Their presence will spark interest for the passers-by and their help will come in handy when the "real" crowd shows up.

CHA CHING!
Be reasonable about pricing. As proud as you and your mother are of the still-life bowl of fruit you painted in the eighth grade, no one will give you $200 for it. If you can't bear to see it sold for less, then keep it in the house.

LEAVE PENNIES IN THE PIGGY BANK
Don't give items small price amounts such as a nickel or quarter because it's too much change to deal with. Instead, group low-priced items together such as paperback books 4 for $1, or silverware 4 for $1.

LABELING
Instead of pricing each and every marble and knickknack, groups same-priced objects together and use a general price sign.

PILES AND AISLES
A table display that is too neat and organized will make people feel uncomfortable about rifling through your goods. You don't want the display to be too disorganized either. Potential customers may think it's just a pile of junk and keep driving to the next sale. Find a happy medium.

THE EARLY BIRDS
Even if your sale officially opens at 9 in the morning, make sure to at least have the higher-priced items such as appliances, baby strollers, carriers, etc,. out at around seven. That's when the professional garage sale shoppers claim their booty. You don't want to miss out.

YES, IT WORKS!
Always have at least one extension chord available for testing appliances. Veteran garage salers won't take your word that a 10-year-old vacuum works as good as the day you bought it.

SEEING IS BELIEVING
If at all possible, hang clothes on a rack or fence so they can be easily viewed from the street. Avoid crumpled piles. If you have really nice clothes (no stains or holes), take them to a consignment shop to get back a little what you paid for them.

YOUR TRASH WILL NOT BE YOUR TREASURE
If you still have leftovers near the end of the sale, put everything into a "FREE" box. Nothing goes back into the house!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 05-12-2006, 12:49 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

No yard sale for me this year!

My neighbor brought over 2 boxes of fat sidewalk chalk for the kids today that he found at a garage sale!

Tammi, Are you guys moving back to Pittsburg or just a different house?

Leighann
Old 05-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We are moving closer to Charlotte, NC. My husband got a bid to go back to the airline that he used to work for!

For now, it will be an apartment for us but once we are settled and have a chance to get to know the area, we are going to look for a house (probably to rent because I dont think that we will live in Charlotte for years--if we have a choice).

My kids would've loved the chalk too.

I am showing a lot of self-control by not going to any sales this year so far. I miss it. lol!! Im hoping for another good day tomorrow and then we can pack up to get ready to go. We are leaving on my BD, the 26th. Funny things is, we moved and my DH started working here on his BD.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 05-12-2006, 02:21 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good luck with the move! Do you think you guys will stay in the south at all? Hoping to return home?

Have a great Birthday!

Keep up the will power, I like going but unless they are pretty close to home, I dont!

Leighann
Old 05-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Nine Year Member

I'm planning a sale this summer wont be until school is out as it will take me that long to sort through the toys and get them organized. I'm in the process of repainting the playroom/guest room.

Clothes are already boxed up for the sale will do prices easy 2-3T clothes $1 each, junior clothes $2 for tops & shorts and $3 for the jeans & pants the junior clothes are like new.

Roberta
Old 05-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Good luck with the move! Do you think you guys will stay in the south at all? Hoping to return home?

Have a great Birthday!

Keep up the will power, I like going but unless they are pretty close to home, I dont!

Leighann
Right now, the airline jobs like he has, are in the south. I would love to move back up north but where I came from, there arent any good paying jobs left. We gotta go where the airports are and that would mean Boston, Wash. DC or Philly....and thats not going to happen! Time will tell but there is a chance that we might be moving west next.....

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 05-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami,
Good luck with your move! Congrats to your husband on his new job! Hope your garage sale goes well, too!

hugs, train
Old 05-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainlady
Tami,
Good luck with your move! Congrats to your husband on his new job! Hope your garage sale goes well, too!

hugs, train

Thanks Donna!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 05-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Your welcome, sweetie!

I have moved a lot in my life and know how it is!

hugs, train