Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I failed already

I realized last night that I was running low on a lot of meats. So I went to the supermarket today. I got what I needed and stocked up on ground turkey $1.49 lb, and boneless chicken breast $1.99. I usually do better on the chicken breast, ($1.69, but I let lt get to low) Anyway, $107.00 later... there is always next week.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have spent no money this week because all of the money we have goes to pay bills ..

I have spent no money this week because all of the money we have goes to pay bills and there is barely any money left over to pay for groceries so there is no money to put into savings but as soon as we pay off DH's Medical Doctor's Bill that the insurance will not cover because the insurance had not kicked in yet and then an ER Visit Last Sunday for Breathing Treatment for DH !!
We have already paid off the X-Ray for the First time !!
Now I am just waiting on all these bills to be paid off and then we can start to save again !!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 05-03-2002, 05:45 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

bad girl

I have blown $36.38 this week.

Sunday morning I had to have a paper...don't know why, but I bought one...and some cakes (4/1.00) and my son some boxed cereal!!! I never pay that kind of money for boxed cereal.

Monday, I spent nothing.

Tuesday- I took the boys for ice cream. That was almost $5.00 but was a real surprise and treat for them. I never do that kind of thing on a school/weekday.

Wednesday-Wednesdays I go to a bible study and it's near the boys' school. It's too far to drive back home and get back in time but I still have about an hour to kill between taking the boys to school and the class, so I have been dropping by the coffee shop where I used to work....so that was about $1.70 (for three cups of coffee). Later that night...... ....this is bad....I went to a little convenience store and bought 2 giant candy bars, a bag of chips and a bottle of Pepsi (had a cap for a free one with it, so got two for one). The guy told me to have a nice evening. I said "i'm going home to get fat". lol He laughed. I ate it ALL...ALL!!!!
Ok, so that was about $4.00.

Thursday--Took the guys to Wal-Mart for shoes. DS2 picked out some very inexpensive sandals (I was so proud) and some nice shoes that will double as athletic shoes for school and dress shoes for church, very nice and I was proud of him for reallly thinking. DS1 got a pair of hiking boots. I picked up a $5.00 pair of sneakers which will be my summer shoes. DS1 also needed some Iron transfer paper and some t-shirts for a school project. (it turned out so nice, his teacher is sending home a t-shirt so he can make her one.....she's been giving him a hard time at school, so this was particularly nice for him). I only count $20 of this toward my $100.00 for the week, if that's ok, because I used the $50 that was left of my birthday money from my mom to pay for their shoes and that covered all but $20 of the bill.

It's still Friday. So far, I've spent nothing and I don't really plan to. Chocolate cravings gave me fits last night, but I was strong...drank hot chocolate instead of buying more candy bars. Woke up this morning and had started (guess that explains that) so now the cravings are gone!!! Thank GOODness.

Tomorrow I'll probably spend some more if it's pretty and there are yardsales.

Next time I won't be so detailed, but I've tried so hard to keep track all this week and knowing I'd have to tell you guys helped keep me on track (except for the chip and candy bar episode)

So, anyway, I came in under budget but I would like to do better next week.

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 05-03-2002, 05:55 AM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

blushing

.....OOPS..I almost forgot (big, heavy, guilty sigh)........I also ordered a "handitote". It's a plastic handle for carrying those plastic grocery bags. I got it for DH as he is out of town with no transportation, so he has to carry groceries on a bus or trolley. I thought this would be helpful to him. It was $9.95 and then you could get another for half, so I did. That was $14.95 altogether.

I have been looking for a book forever called "pilgrim's regress" by C.S. Lewis. When I went to used book stores, the owners argued with me that it couldn't be C.S. Lewis or they would know... ...so I finally called my pastor and asked who wrote it......"that would be C.S. Lewis". grrrrr Anyway, I let my son read Pilgrim's Progress for a book report and believe it or not, he LOVED it.....so I figured he would like Pilgrim's Regress. The pastor suggested I look at Amazon (or he would give me his, but I didn't want to take his...he has given me a ton of books. He cleaned out his office once and gave me everything he had two of...but he only has one of this so I don't want to take it). Anyway.....I found it at Amazon for 3.95 and had it on my card before I saw that the shipping cost more than the book itself, so that ended up being $9.95. Still worth it. It's a wonderful book.

So, that brings my grand total for the week so far....$61.28

Oh well. Thanks for letting me be a motor-mouth (or motorfingers). I better give it a rest a while.

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 05-03-2002, 08:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

i get a craving for chocolate just befaore that time of the month too.wow.well today is payday so that means shopping day.so wish me luck.oh,mom2twoboyz try half.com thier shipping is not as bad and thier book are really super cheap.my husband his a ancient history freak,and the history books there are way cheaper then at used book stores,where they want 20.00 for some of the books he wants.used.i was shocked.well off to the stores.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Okay ladies I am going to give it a try. Today is pay day. I usually budget $110 a week for household and groceries. I am going to try and do it on $100 this week and if I do I am going to give that extra $10 to ME!
I have a famiily of 6 me dh, dd8,dd5, ds2 1/2, dd16 weeks. The diapers and pullups will be the biggest challange.
I always make out a menu and shop from that. If Ican cut out that $10 this whole month maybe I will try $95 a week next month. And just see how "low I can go"
Good luck to you all (and to me)
Smiles
Denise
Old 05-03-2002, 11:16 AM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Good idea on the $10....and you will have earned it!! A penny saved really is a penny earned because it's hard work.

Thanks EmmJean. I will definitely give half.com a look. I don't order that many books...this is my second, although dh orders them some. This is just a special one and I was running out of places to look. Half.com sounds great, though and I will look there first next time.

Good luck for the week!!

Old 05-03-2002, 11:26 AM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I checked out half.com. It's a great site. Frankly, I'm a little relieved, though, because the copy they had cost a little more than the one I ordered, so even though the shipping was less...in the end I would have paid about the same. I hated thinking I spent all that money when I didn't have to, so I'm tickled pink. They do have great prices, though. I'll definitely start looking there before anywhere else. Thanks so much!!

Old 05-03-2002, 04:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

your welcome.i'm glad it will work for you.
o.k. now here are my totals for the week
3.95 at the bakery outlet-but i only need to go there every other week.
21.04-at walmart
17.62-at winco,thats a chain here in idaho.real great prices there.
for a grand total of 42.61 yeah.under budget again!!!!gosh i really love this place.all i have to do is say if you buy that you are going to have to tell all the girls about it.and that is all it takes to stop me.so thanks for keeping me in line.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi, I am new to this board joined today. I want in on this too, I have a S.O. 1 ds 19 living w/ us and 2 dogs/2 cats. I will haul out the coupon box and start clipping and plotting. The only thing I really don't want to compromise on is that I buy good dog/cat food for my pets (IAMS), but they seem to have coupons in the bags and I will be more judicious in watching for them. I will start on Monday since I have to go grocery shopping then anyway. I read all the threads just now and will use everybody's tips and go to check out the $ saving tips threads next.