Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-20-2002, 06:32 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Has everyone given up on this challenge already !!!!!!!!

I know its hard but everyone must have some good ideas to share.

I'm having meatless spagehetti tonite with a salad from leftovers from our taco dinner last night. I have some hamburger rolls in the freezer that I had gotten on sale which I will make garlic rolls.

I have $40 until Monday. I'm running out of milk so I'm sure to go to the store with a list I will stick to.
Old 04-20-2002, 07:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

NOT ME I HAVN'T GIVEN UP.I STILL HAVE BILLS TO PAY OFF.YESTERDAY I WENT TO ONE OF THOSE BAKERY OUTLETS.NEVER WENT BEFORE.I GOT FRENCH BREAD FOR .50 A LOAF.I USUALLY PAY .99 AT THE STORE.AND BREAD LOAVES FOR .39 THE SAME BRAND I PAYED .79 AT THE STUPID STORE.I BOUGHT 4 WHITE AND 4 WHEAT.THEN WENT HOME AND USED MY LITTLE DAISY VACUUM SEALER AND PUT THE IN MY FREEZER.SO NOW I DON'T HAVE TO BUY BREAD FOR AWHILE.I HAVEN'T FIGURED UP HOW MUCH I SAVED BUT I KNOW IT WAS ALOT CHEAPER THEN THE STORE.
Old 04-20-2002, 10:21 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Okay, I'll jump in with my two cents. The easiest way I have to not overspend at the store is to just take enough CASH (no atm card or checkbook) for the things I need. I shop at the same stores consistently, so I know how much things are. If I just need milk, I take $4 (3.69 a gallon.) That's my problem area--impulse buying, even if it won't go to waste.

It's already been mentioned about not going out to eat, but if you must because your job requires it or something like that, try ordering just an appetizer and a drink, instead of a "full" meal.

Bulk cooking is a lifesaver! You can usually just microwave a meal while you do other stuff, so you always "have time to cook" (speaking from experience)instead of grabbing fast food.

I make meatless meals three or four times a week, and a lot of times the other meals use meat as a filler, not the main course. Crockpot stew, stirfries, spaghetti, veggie pizza, grilled cheese and fries, hot dog casserole, turkey hash, rice, bean, and cheese burritos, and fried rice are all cheap to make and as yet have gone over well with my family.

I hunted around until I found cheap diapers that work for my son(Dri-bottoms at Walmart), but I had him in cloth diapers for a while--I washed them in the evening and hanged them in the basement to dry overnight so I didn't have to run the dryer.

It is possible to live on $100 a week, but it takes a bit of planning and a good deal of self-control. For instance, I am a Windex person--but I now use vinegar to clean my windows because I ran out of Windex and refused to buy more, even though it would've been so easy to just run up to the store and grab some(as well as more paper towels, some pledge, etc. Impulse buying!!) Now I don't usually bother with windex because the vinegar works just as well, plus I don't worry about my toddler drinking it!

Just my two cents...
Old 04-20-2002, 10:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question

This is a great challenge and something I need to do as well, esp. as our income has dropped quite a bit due to my unexpected retirement. My question is: what exactly are you including in the $100--you specify somethings, groceries, eating out, etx. than say and everything else. That covers a lot--does that mean a week's worth of mortgage, utilities, phone, car payment, etc.--I doubt it. Unless things are a lot cheaper in NJ! LOL! My big expenses during the week are eating out, gas, craft supplies and a few groceries. Craft supplies eat up a lot of my budget and is an area I have to cut. Good luck and please let us know how it goes. I will be rethinking my spending habits, too. One thing I know, though, is don't make the sacrifice too big, or you'll do it for a short time and resort back to former habits--kind of like dieting. Mona
Old 04-21-2002, 08:44 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

That's what I wanted to ask, too. What is included? Because, if bills aren't included, I spend wayyyyy less than $100 a week.

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-21-2002, 09:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Sorry I should have specified

Ok, the hundred dollars, are for
food, gas, diapers, clean supplies, eating out, personal care items, shoes, medical co pays, clothes, garage sales, anything. The electric, water, taxes mortage, gas, phone and cable are paid by my husband.
I know to some people this sounds like not much of a challenge at all, but for others it is a struggle. Hopefully, after getting all the help for you, I will be able to do it, easily as well.
By the way, thanks to everyone for the warm wishes. My foot is getting better.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:27 AM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We seem to walking through these posts hand-in-hand Bellasmom. hehe Everytime I go back to read another thread, you've posted where I just posted.

I will start keeping track then, now that I know what this includes. I must say, though, there are weeks where I spend nothing at all except school lunch money if they don't pack. I can usually get through the week on $5 gas.....love, love, love my Geo. We grocery shop about every two weeks and spend maybe $75 dollars. I buy toiletries and cleaners at the dollar store, but that's probably once a month and is, I don't know, maybe $10 or less...and as soon as I'm all out, I'm going to start using these home remedies. My first one was using vinegar to mop the floor. Who woulda thought? I splurged yesterday and spent almost $20 dollars on clothes and craft stuff. We go in cycles....never eating out.....but then eating lunch out quite often...so I will start keeping tabs on that. I spend alot less when dh is away but he spends more when he is away, sooooo actually....who in the world knows how much I spend a week in reality???? LOL This may be impossible. If I don't have to account for DH, I will keep count, ok? I'm almost afraid now...I may be in for a surprise.

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-21-2002, 10:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

wow,i surpised myself this week i only spent 45.00.i can't believe it.but i just added up the reciepts.$5.00 less then my budget.i'm not bragging just amazed and had to share it with someone how cares and understands.thank everyone.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:49 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Wow!!! Way to go!!!

I guess I've already blown it for this week. I just went to the grocery store and spent $96. It will probably do me for 2-3 weeks, though. I was stocking up.....lots of toilet paper (found some called "prefer" that was pretty cheap)...stuff for the biscuit mix...lots of baking products and some stuff I never buy, like a bottle of burgundy wine for a recipe I saw here. I bought two cans of every vegetable they had on sale. So, I don't feel too bad but thank goodness this is theoretical.....if I really had only $100 for the week, I'd just have to stay home and eat and nothing else. lol

Old 04-21-2002, 03:21 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I did great this week. In fact I have about $15 left over.

But I know what you mean about some weeks are good and others you stock up. I was able to keep to my budget because of previous sales I have bought. Next week won't be so easy. I'm still going to try.

Does anyone have great weekly menus to keep the week budget on target.?

I had tacos one night because everything was on sale. Then I made spagehetti with leftover taco meat and a Salad with leftover lettuce and tomatoes. We made homemade pizza tonight with leftover spagehetti sauce. 3 meals for the price of one practically.

Sometimes I make chili with leftover spaghetti sauce. Then chilidogs the next night.

Also cheap cleaning ideas would help too,