Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

i keep my menus on my computer and a printed list is in my coupon note book.so i will never say i don't know what to have for dinner.it just takes planning,but you can do it.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

rhiannon65

could you post some of your meals. Sometimes I run out of ideas and just don't know what to cook. Then I spend too much money trying to figure out what to eat. I usually have a plan for the week, but this week was busy and I didn't get it done. I haven't really shopped yet, and have spent way too much.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:43 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I would love to meet this challenge.

I have a family of 6. My daughter is in college so she is taken care of but I have 3 teenage boys that are eating me out of house and home.

I use the crockpot so I can buy cheaper cuts of meats because they turn out very tender. Spaghetti is always a good meal to save on and then I use the leftover spaghetti sauce to make chili the next day or so.

I could use some other meals and planning ideas to get me going. If any one can help I'm all ears.

My family already calls me the coupon queen.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi there....
Teenage boys seem to have this endless pit when it comes to food! *laughing* ....
Some economical and really easy things to make...

MeatLoaf....make two....freeze one...and give yourself a night off from cooking....
This is a good deal when you find ground beef on sale......

Turkey....On sale it's cheap....if fresh....cut in half and do one half and freeze the rest......If the turkeys on sale are small..buy one to cook and one to freeze....
You can make turkey one night...probably a sunday..then a casserole with left over stuffing and mashed potatoes and gravy for Tuesday....( one more night not to cook) *g*

You can freeze cooked turkey....so there is a bonus there...Turkey tetrazzini is a very yummy dish that can feed boys very well...*s*

Hams go on sale too.....smoked ham left overs will freeze for about 3-4 weeks.....

Left over ham added to baked macaroni and cheese, add a salad and you have a meal......

Pizza! home made is cheap!.....you can have a pizza night...I do not think the boys will object....

Home made fries and hamburgers are always acceptable.....add corn on the cob...and there's another quickie and cheap meal.....

Chickens go on sale...buy buy buy.......When they go on sale here I buy 6 ......cut 3 in half.....and freeze....freeze 2 whole....and make a baked chicken with all the trimmings with the other...

MeatBalls stretch a budget.....what teenager doesn't like meatball heros on french bread with melted mozzarella?

Watch for specials on chicken leg quarters, ground beef, Pork roasts......chuck roasts...let your crockpot help you....it's just sitting there waiting...

Once a month have a hot dog, and hamburger supper......french fries, salad and home made apple pie with ice cream will not be refused...

In the winter, chicken and dumplings go a long way! *s*

If you need some recipes....send me a note....I'll gladly send them to you....

Jeannie in Tx
Old 04-17-2002, 07:29 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi,
Instead of going out to eat, how about making up a picnic, The weather up here in New England is getting warmer. With a picnic you can controll the cost, yet still get out of the house.
We try and eat at least one non-meat meal a week and sometimes have things like bacon and eggs for supper.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:39 AM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

I am going thru my freezer to use up what I have there.

I didn't have to spend a penny today.
I pulled porkchops out of the freezer yesterday and they are in the crockpot today (its warm here) and will serve with applesauce , rice, and canned vegetables which I already had on hand.

My boys have had sports practice today to keep them busy so I didn't have to entertain $$$$ them.

Nice weather has alot of free things to do.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

There are some great idea there. Thanks! By the way, on Monday I fell down and broke my foot. It is really easy to not spend money when you can't drive. Six Weeks!!
Unfortunatly this means that my hubby has to do all my shopping.
But we will manage. thank God, I have a pantry and freezer to help out.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:34 PM
A Member of the Family

FamilyCorner Admirer

Had Tacos tonight because all the stuff was on sale. It was the featured dinner at our store.

I had to spend $25 today at the grocery store. I have $50 left until Monday. I don't know if I can do it.

I have spaghetti fixings for the weekend which will be turned into a chili meal later. I also have venison in the freezer. Maybe I can do it.

I guess I will look in my cupboards. Hum! I see a cake mix and I have some chocolate chips I can melt for frosting. My 3 teenage boys will be so happy.

How is everyone else doing????????
Old 04-19-2002, 07:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

bellasmom,i'm so sorry you broke your foot.i can't let my husband do the shopping we would go broke.he's one of those that says if it doesn't have a name brand on it he doesn't buy it.well what he doesn't know doesn't hurt him.hope you feel better real soon.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:55 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

BellasMom sorry to hear about your foot. Like EMMJEAN said, no way could I afford for hubby to shop.

Scooby

http://<br /> http://www.grassfire....sp?PID=2193974

The ACLU recently filed a federal lawsuit to force Roy Moore to
remove the Ten Commandments from the Alabama Supreme Court
building -- the latest effort to strip the Ten Commandments
from public life.
http://<br /> http://www.grassfire....sp?PID=2197287