Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I don't have an exact grand total for last week. I was up to $81.09 on Friday. We bought a shower head for about $8 on Sat. DH bought milk and bread once last week. He also got fancy envelopes and matching paper because he is job hunting. We probably cut it close!

Time to start over.
Old 08-02-2002, 05:44 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'd like to give this a try

Aug 1st was the first day for the NEW budget!

I have alloted $400/mo for groceries, I'm hoping to use up some of the canned goods in the house (since I keep stock piling it but not using it!).

I'm going grocery shopping Sat, I will post what the damage was on Monday, and will try to keep to the $100/wk challenge!

I will try the menu and grocery list planning too before I go, this should help... not sure why I hadn't thought of this before (duh)

I need to get out of debt! And these kids (dd 11, dd 4, ds3) are not helping me!

Back to school clothes shopping has been included in my household budget. What are you all doing to keep that spending under control?

Good luck to y'all!
Old 08-02-2002, 07:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Good Luck on your challenge! When I tried the $100.00 a week challenge for everything...I flopped!!!

Meals weren't the hard part, but the extras, unexpected DR. bills, dentist bills, vet bills, car bills...ugh!

Now it seems if I can make it thru a week with no unexpected things! I feel like I am a winner!!! lol

Let us know how you are doing with the challenge!

janet
Old 08-04-2002, 03:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lvega28, I don't really shop for back to school clothes with the exception of shoes. I shop all year at yard sales and clearance sales and just keep my kids stocked in clothes. When summer clothes go on clearance I buy summer clothes when winter clothes go on clearance I buy them. I do make sure the kids have new shoes to start the school year out! I do the same with school supplies. I keep an "under the bed storage box" under my bed and all year I buy pens, pencils, paper, folders, etc and keep my box stocked. Then when they need something they go shopping in moms room! This seems to help me avoid that "Shock" at the beginning of the school year. By the way my kids start school tomorrow!
Old 08-04-2002, 03:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

School starts tomarrow??
Old 08-04-2002, 04:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

So hard to plan for back to school expenses..I am lucky I have a son and he doesn't require much..new shoes, new pair of pants and a few t-shirts...I think the expensive stuff is backpacks, lunch packs, binders, notebooks and such...then when they get to school you start getting hit for everything! lol On top of all that school taxes are due in Sept....free education yeah, right! lol

Our kids go back to school the end of August. When did you kids get out of school? Ours are out the 6 th of June.

Good Luck with the back to school blues!!
It will be starting here soon!

janet
Old 08-05-2002, 02:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing $100 a week challenge... is tough!

Ok so I didn't quite make it! I spent $80 on groceries (YAY!) for the week. $20 gas, I commute so I will need $20 gas again on Thursday. And $55 on back to school stuff, it was all clearance items, I got 5 shirts, 2 pair of pants and a back-pack (not on clearance) at Sears. I thought I got a good deal... but it made me go over. The back-pack is an early birthday present for my 4 year old (she'll be 5 next week) she loves Barbie.

80+20=100

plus
40 (back to school stuff)
15 (backpack)
20 (thurs for gas)

School in my area starts 9/4.

I'm new to this frugal save money kind of mentality. I grew up in a one income family... and my parents are both very frugal... not so much that they squeek when they walk but they are pros at stretching a dollar. (that's what we used to say when we were using their money to survive!)

As a result I am a recovering spend until there is no more money to spend... and until the next paycheck! I have quite a bit of debt ($18k credit cards) and a newer car (owe $19k)... OUCH!

I did start buying things on clearance (end of winter) and on ebay for the kids so I have some stuff put away for the kids to grow into... but not quite enough for back to school.

Maybe I should rethink the one new outfit for school plus new shoes... to an outfit for each day of the week (using up their summer clothes that may not fit them next year)! Hmm... I will take inventory when I get home!

Thanks, I will get their!

My goal for the week is to not spend more then the $20 for gas I've already alloted.

Next week I will do it! $100 a week!
Old 08-05-2002, 05:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My kids got out of school the 3rd week in May. We are not on all year school but they are trying to lean toward that. We started school today and we go 9 weeks and then we are out 1 week for fall break (2nd week in Oct). Then we go 9 weeks and out 2 weeks for Winter break. Then we go 9 weeks and out 1 week for Spring break. Then 9 weeks and out for summer. It makes the teaching process easier because the kids aren't in the middle of a grading period when we break for the holidays. We like it...but I hate that they go back to school in this heat!

Lvega28....hang in there you are doing great!
Old 08-06-2002, 07:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

HI Kimmyo!

Interesting school schedule your children have...that would work for us here eventhough mine would fuss at being back in school already. lol

In pre-school we had that because the pre school was run at an university. I liked it because you can get away at different times instead of waiting for Xmas break or Easter break.

janet
Old 08-06-2002, 06:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I keep having excuses for not being able to make it on $100.00 a week! My daughter starts Kindergarten in 2 weeks. So, this is my first experience with school supplies, uniforms, etc. and I have definitely blown the budget!! Hopefully, things will get back to "normal" (whatever that is!) and I'll be able to try again!

Angela