Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:53 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

I spent $26 today at grocery store. Everything I bought was buy one get one free, so I actually bought $52 of food.

I'm trying to buy just sale items to stock up.

Good luck this week everybody
Old 06-24-2002, 07:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

well i didn't get to go shopping friday like i usually do.so i went today.and i'm glad i did.i got 11 packages of seasoned chicken breasts for .50 a piece.and 4 packages of ground turkey for .60 a piece.got real lucky there.all of it went into the freezer.i'm getting real stocked up on chicken.family might get tired of chicken but you can't beat the prices.oh,and a pork loin for $3.50.marked down from $9.95.that thing is going on the grill soon.so grand total of $50.79 for the week.good luck every one.

emmalee
Old 06-24-2002, 07:45 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

RTNRJK and Emmjean--there's no green-eyed monster smilie, so I'll give all ya'll party hats instead . Way to go!!

Here's the recipe, Angie:

ZUchinni, Potato and Onion Bake:

Butter for the dish
2 medium white onions
2 medium potatoes
3 medium zuchinni
thinly sliced cheese

Preheat oven to 425F. Lightly butter an 8-inch square baking pan. In as little water as possible, boil the veggies together in a saucepan. Remove the zuchinni as soon as they are cooked. Reserve about 3 tbs. of the cooking liquid. Slice the veggies while still hot and layer in the dish(zuchinni, onions, potatoes). Add the reserved liquid. Cover the potatoes with the cheese slices, bake for 10 minutes or ubtil the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Note: I have changed the vegetables in this dish and have been successful. I use American cheese, but just about anything would work! I peel the onions but leave the skins on the potatoes and squash--just to save time.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:27 AM
A Friend of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oh Thank You Mrs. Maniac, this sounds so good...can't wait to try it...
we had chicken fried rice last night (homemade). It was just me and my dh so we just ate it .....
Old 07-04-2002, 08:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hello! Just wondered if anyone out there is still doing this??

Angela
Old 07-04-2002, 08:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes My Family and I are still doing this challenge for $100.00 a week!!

Yes My Family and I are still doing this challenge for $100.00 a week!! Even though my DH has gotten a new job with better pay we are still going to do this challenge because we can save extra money this way to use on better things that we may need or want!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 07-04-2002, 09:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

GEO!!

I have had 2 Geos - a 1995 Geo MEtro - 4 door and a 1994 Geo Prizm 4 door. I totaled my Metro in 1996, then bought the Prizm after that.
I didn't have one problem with either car. I'm very good at having the oil changed and the air filter too. Mileage is excellent. I can fill the Prizm about (11 gallons) and go 284 miles. That is city driving - stop and go, short distances. I drove to Pennsylvania from Maryland approx. 320 miles before I had to fill up. I would highly recommend either car. I'm still driving the Prizm with 74k miles on it and will drive it until it just won't go anymore. I love the car! Plus, I am getting more and more frugal as I get older and just don't care about having a new car. I don't want the "new" car payment. Suzi Orman (spelling?) says that to save your way to richness, have no credit card debt (we are also trying to pay this off!), and to buy a new car and keep it for 10-13 years. Some people pay it off and then go right out and buy a new one! Some don't even wait until it's paid off. How does that work?? Who pays the car off?
We have put ourselves on a credit diet and have not charged in over 4 years. It has taught us to live within our means. We save for what we want to purchase or use our tax refund. I know this isnt' the topic but I got off on a tangent, sorry.
THE BOTTOM LINE IS - GEOS ARE GOOD CARS. When I am ready to buy again, I will probably get another.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I plan to do the challenge in two more weeks. We moved into our new place last weekend and we keep having to get this and that for the house. Last night was better locks, the night before that was a dryer vent. Little things that have added up. We are going on vacation the week after next, so I will start after that. I am making things (food) to take on vaction so that spending doesn't get out of hand there.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:17 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Renee, congrats on getting moved in! When we moved here last summer, the first things I bought were a new toilet seat, a shower curtain, and cleaning supplies! That was as soon as the last box was brought in--didn't even unpack lol!

We spun a bearing on our car and are putting a fence up across the driveway(to keep kids and dogs contained lol). I also went to Meijer's and spent $140 on groceries--between today's bbq, and dh's b-day party next week, and the get-together at the end of the month, and starting to purchase for next month's oamc---I didn't do too badly! Though I will admit, the cheapskate in me is howling her dismay!!
Old 07-04-2002, 02:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Regretfully I have fallen off the wagon, big time I felt, our son did graduate and go off to the air force and I went back to work after having a hip replacement. I had 2 grocery store receipts still on my desk for the month of June and my totals were approximately $450, which was pretty good, not great considering I had to stock up on tons of stuff and this was for 2 people, I can do better, just trying to get my act together all around!! But I can say proudly that I didn't buy a bunch of junk food or "stuff" when I went in there either AND I used my coupons, which are doubled and tripled.