Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 03-29-2002, 04:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing You might think this is crazy but it works

You might think this is crazy but it works. I work fulltime and i feel like i never have time to do anything but work. Housecleaning is a job in itself so i started paying myself to do it. If i hired a maid to help i would have to pay her right. I love my family do get me wrong and everything i do for them is out of love but sometimes i get tired of cookin and cleaning so my method is that i pay my self no of my chores pay over .50 cents. When i do these thing i have a tin in my kithcen i put the money in and any other FOUND money around the house. And i save for things that i want like a kitchen applicance or a book or something. Today i cleaned the house and washed clothes and i made a whole 2.00 i took this from my wallet and i put it into my tin. So i feel like i am saving money twice, and i really am not charging my family i look at it like this you know when you were little and wanted to earn extra money your mom would give you chores to do for a .25 mine is the same way I am the child and i get to have my new toy pretty soon.
Old 03-29-2002, 06:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I don't think you are crazy. I've thought of doing that myself from time to time. Whatever works for you!
Old 04-03-2002, 01:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I think that idea is really cool!!

I think that idea is really cool!! I wish I could do that but I only work inside the home and my DH is the one who works outside of the home and we are already pressed really tightly for money to pay our bills, buy our groceries and be able to still save a little bit of money on the side!! I do however end up saving money by change and other odds and ends that I end up doing and sometimes just finding some extra change laying around (helps me out)!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 04-06-2003, 05:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Finding this post was great timing! I've been feeling like I am stretched so tight and all I do is work! Inspiring words! I may not be able to "pay" myself with money, but I'm going to start "paying" myself with time and fun! I'm working on the illustrations for 3 kids books I've written, learning to quilt, scrapbook, bead and more about the computer. All are time consuming and I feel guilty doing them, especially when there are other things that need to be done. Now I'll use them to pay myself for all the hard work I do!
Old 04-06-2003, 06:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

"Paying" yourself is a GREAT idea!!! In monetary form or in terms of time or fun for yourself! I learned over recent years that I am a better parent and spouse if I DO allow myself some pleasures in life too!! For many years, I denied myself time, fun, you name it, in the name of being a good mom--and it led to me being to "used up" to be a good parent and/or spouse!

Keep it up! As someone else said.... whatever works!!

rivermom
Old 04-06-2003, 08:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great encouragement! Couldn't help think while I read the replies that we are like our plants. They are beautiful when we get them, but if we skip the nurturing steps, i.e., watering, feeding, dusting, and transplanting, they soon loose their beauty! I'm more than just work. I need to be dusted! Thanks for the break...we deserved it!
Old 04-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Nine Year Member

Paying yourself is a good idea. Makes you feel like you are making money of your own. There are so many ways we save money just cooking things from scratch. Planting a garden and enjoying the savings helps too. Like the old victory garden everyone did it and helped the economy. Cutting coupons and pocketing the savings adds up to quite a bit too. Try it out and see if it works for you. Then go have a day out with the savings,or buy something you always wanted will make you feel great.

Old 04-07-2003, 04:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Victory Garden? Isn't that where during the last World War people planted extra in their gardens and shared it with the families of soldiers? What a wonderful idea to do now! Feed the Children has started collecting for soldiers families here in the states, I can't afford to send money to them but maybe we could all plant a little extra to help our neighbors, no matter who they are! Change can start with me!