Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

A rubber glove, the kind you use for washing dishes. Also if you take your cutie for a ride in the car, you can keep one in the glove box.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:46 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

They sell a special "sponge" for getting cat/pet hair off, it works good I also use the lint brush w/ the sticky paper and sometimes I just use packing tape wraped around my hand. I keep the couch and love seat and chair covered w/ throws. this save them from not only from hair but from my 21 y'o son and the cats claws. I wash the throws about every 3 months. or sooner if needed. My brother uses sheets, he has dogs. If I am having company I take them off and fold them and place them in a nice pile next to the couch. It works. Good Luck.
Ruth
Old 08-26-2002, 06:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't have animals but saw this hint somewhere and the person who sent it said it worked great.....get a NEW toilet brush and keep it just for your pet hair removal..dampen it and run along furniture...she said you would be surprised how much you collect. Can get them in the dollar store.......
Old 08-26-2002, 07:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

SLB427, Never heard about the toilet brush, but I think I will invest a $1.00 to find out. I'll let you know how it works for me.
Lots of dog hair at my house.

janet
Old 08-27-2002, 05:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

pet hair

I too have used the damp wash cloth. It works great. My parents had adopted my sisters cat. A story in itself. Anyway, mom was getting very upset with all the cat hair. Long haired cat. I showed her what I do to clean the hair off my furniture. She to this day thanks me every chance she gets for the tip. Mind you my mother isn't exactly the biggest cat lover out there, but she deals to keep dad and cat happy. Good luck-
Old 08-28-2002, 09:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hair everywhere!

I know the song of dust bunnies taking over the house. Mine seem to be as big as my one year old daughter! I have two cats and two dogs. We have been battling the hair for a while. Part of the problem is that when the animals are inside, they shed based on the time of year (indicated by daylight hours), which is skewed by our house lights. So, you will be battling the hair as long as you have pets. We ended up getting leather couches. Between keeping hair off and just wiping off the baby gook, it works good. If you have fabric couches, we used to put blankets or sheets over them and keep trading them out. We would take them off when somebody came over. For the carpet, the rubber broom is a good idea (ours is called a "sweepa"). I have pulled up the carpet in my house and we had hardwood under it. I just vacuum, and it gets most of the hair out of the cracks and corners. You might even think about having the pets go to get baths and be brushed by a professional (drop them off in the early AM and pick them up as late as possible) while you do the bulk of your sweeping/ moping/ vacuuming. Check to see if your veterinarian has any more ideas. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pet Hair

I had heard about using a wet sponge to remove pet hair, but I waited so long for good livingroom furniture, that I am afraid to dampen it at all (plus I live in s.w. Louisiana, where humidity is already a problem). I bought one of the small Shark vacuums (less that $30.00). It has several attachments, and is less than 2-1/2 pounds. It is good for the couches and removes pet hair very well. It also comes with a shoulder strap so it is good for ceiling fans, and all that kind of stuff. I wonder why my dog likes to rub along the front of the couch? She does every chance she gets. (spoiled dog). Any hints to stop this behavior?
Old 08-30-2002, 07:16 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Get to the root of the problem to reduce the amount of shedding!! Switch to a better quality pet food. I recommend the brands Nutro Max, Precise , Wysong, or a raw diet.

It will really work!!!
Old 08-30-2002, 08:49 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

After wiping the furniture with a damp sponge, I've found that wiping it with a fabric softener sheet helps keep the hair from sticking in the first place. Of course, then it ends up all over the carpet...
Old 08-30-2002, 10:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have several cats who love our furniture. I have tried most of the things posted previously and the what works best for me and my three long haired beauties, is the dish washing glove dampened. We also keep one in the car. I would also recommend the dish gloves that have the "non slip" surface as the rough part helps lift off more hair. We brush all of them every single day and even that doesn't help all that much, so don't feel bad about only getting to the job every three day or so. Next time we buy a sofa we will match the colour to the animals so it is less noticeable.