Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-21-2002, 03:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

House Cleaning Schedule

I am too old to be asking this, but can anyone give me an idea of how often you clean? Like how often do you vaccuum, empty cabinets out and wash them, how often do you mop the floor, do the windows, that kind of thing? I have never really had a schedule. I've tried the flylady, but she is evasive about how often you actually do things like washing down the cabinets (by the way, what do you use to wash them with?). Wash the windows, sweep, vaccuum the furniture, stuff like that. My house never looks great. It's OK, but not great. Will someone share their schedule? Thanks. Also, how often do you repaint?
Old 08-22-2002, 01:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Housecleaning

I definitely do not vaccuum once a day. Wow. I take the vaccuum out every two weeks. I also only sweep in the kitchen once a week. You can see I am houswwork challenged. I have never washed the outside windows (there's screens over them, so I just figured I would hose them every now and again (?). I do the inside ones -oooh only maybe 2 or 3 times a year.
OK - my kitchen cabinets are starting to wear around the knobs. Do you have a hint for making them look new again? I tried that orange polish, it looks good until it dries and then the cabinets look the same. I'd like to keep using these cabinets for a few more years, so I need something that will fix the finish and make them reshine. Is that possible?
Also, my fake marble around the tub is really dirty. I have tried everything, even scouring powder. Does anyone know of any product that really will clean it? (believe me I have tried just about everything - so it will have be be as strong as dynamite).
All this housework got away from me when I was working, attending grad school and sick. Then as it got worse, I did less.
How often do you wash down the kitchen counters really well? I do that once a week. I dust only every other week, and I wash mirrors, etc. every two weeks.
It sounds really bad doesn't it? How many hours a day do you spend cleaning?
How often do you paint the walls?
The only thing I have in my defense is that I live alone and seldom use the living room, diningroom and two of the bedrooms.
One bathroom I have kept up for company, although it looks like the wallpaper needs to be redone. So, have any of you stripped wallpaper and then painted? Do you think I can do this by myself (10 foot ceilings)?
Thanks I will take any hints and help. I am really embarrassed to think that you vaccuum everyday Shawn. You are my hero.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I found this the other day, maybe it can give you an idea.

NOTE: This is not my personal view but something to go by

~~~~~~~~~

Everyone has his or her own idea of what clean is. If you take a look in a number of different homes around the country, you will probably see different degrees of clean. A personís house that does not seem to be as clean to you, may seem to be spotless to them or to someone else. Different people tolerate dirt and mess differently.

Once you have an idea of how clean you actually want your home to be, you can determine just how often each task will need to be done. Set realistic goals. If you work forty hours a week and take care of a family, you may not be able to wash your floors two or three times a week. Although, the more family members that can contribute to the household chores, the better your chances of having the clean home you desire. But, having more family members also means having more cleaning to do.

To decide how often you will need to clean, you need to decide how clean you want your home. Do you want it to be tidy, clean or absolutely spotless?

Deifine what clean is

Tidy: things are picked up and look neat

Clean: everything is clean and ready for unexpected guests

Spotless: you could eat off of the floor

TO HAVE A TIDY HOME:

BASIC CLEANING

Straightening up- 2x every week

Garbage- 2x every week

Dusting- 1x every other week

Dusting out of reach- 1x every month

Spot-cleaning walls etc.- 1x every other week

Washing walls- 1x every year

Vacuuming- 2-3x every month

Carpet spots- 1x every week

Shampooing carpets- 1-3x every year

Dusting blinds- quarterly

Washing blinds- 1x every year

CLEANING THE BATHROOM

Sinks- every day

Mirrors- 1x every week

Toilet- 1x every week

Wipe shower- 2x every week

Clean shower- 1x every week

KITCHEN CLEANING

Sink- 1x every week

Sweep floors- 1x every week

Mop floors- 1x every week

Wax floors- 1x every month

Clean stove/oven- as needed

TO HAVE A CLEAN HOME:

Straightening up- 4x every week

Garbage- 3x every week

Dusting- 1x every week

Dusting out of reach- 2x every month

Spot-cleaning walls etc.- 1x every week

Washing walls- 1x every year

Vacuuming- 1x every week

Carpet spots- 2x every week

Shampooing carpets- 2-4x every year

Dusting blinds- 6x every year

Washing blinds- 1x every year

CLEANING THE BATHROOM

Sinks- every day

Mirrors- 2x every week

Toilet- 1x every week

Wipe shower- 4x every week

Clean shower- 1x every week

KITCHEN CLEANING

Sink- 3x every week

Sweep floors- 2x every week

Mop floors- 1x every week

TO HAVE A SPOTLESS HOME:

Straightening up- 7x every week

Garbage- 3x every week

Dusting- 3x every week

Dusting out of reach- 1x every week

Spot-cleaning walls etc.- 3x every week

Washing walls- 2x every year

Vacuuming- 4x every week

Carpet spots- 7x every week

Shampooing carpets- 1x every month

Dusting blinds- 1x every month

Washing blinds- 2x every year

CLEANING THE BATHROOM

Sinks- every day

Mirrors- every day

Toilet- 2x every week

Wipe shower- every day

Clean shower- 2x every week

KITCHEN CLEANING

Sink- every day

Sweep floors- 5x every week

Mop floors- 2x every week

Written by Lorraine C Gallagher

Last edited by Shawn; 08-29-2002 at 02:58 AM.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Fascinating Shawn. I am a flybaby and am getting my control journal together. This will be helpful. [email protected]
Old 08-23-2002, 02:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Housecleaning Schedule

Well, I am somewhere between not tidy and tidy, and I've gotten better, so before I must have been just plain dirty. I don't shampoo the rugs unless they really look like they need it. I always thought it wore them out faster????? I haven't shampooed them in several years. I love the list and this weekend I am going to try to make cards for each day of the week and separate the chores on each card. I really do appreciate you taking the time to type out and print this list. Now I'll have something to strive for. There's no way I will ever reach the super clean section. I noticed baseboards were not mentioned. I have a friend that does them EVERY day. That is just overwhelming to even think about. I scrub them when I see that they look dirty or lightly vaccuum occasionaly - daily? no way!
By the way in my defense I also have to do all the yardwork. It seems like I am always a little behind everywhere. I also have painted the house myself (brick house mostly trim but the carport is all wood as is an entryway. I feel really lazy after looking at the list. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You're never too old to be asking this!

I had the same problem. I basically knew how to vacuum and mop and all that, but I couldn't seem to get my brain around it.

I've been following Flylady for about a year, and while I still have a way to go, I don't feel as stressed about it anymore. I had a difficult pregnancy (with a healthy baby boy last month, 10 lbs 5 oz...no wonder I was exhausted! *lol*) and so my house pretty much went back to its old ways, but is rapidly coming back out of the dark ages again

organizedhome.com also has some really helpful stuff. I'm using the 16 week plan to get ready for the holidays. I'm NEVER ready, and I want to be able to enjoy the season with my kids, enjoy travelling to Canada to visit my inlaws, etc...without the stress. I think the plan will help.

Good luck!

Jenny
wah/sah mommy...can't beat that!
Old 08-23-2002, 07:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have to vacuum and dust daily as my two DS have asthma.

The DS bathroom gets scrubbed from top to bottom at least every other day....sometimes daily if time allows.

Wouldn't know about DD's bathroom as she cleans it herself!

My bathroom gets cleaned about every 3-4 days. DH is hardly ever home so I usually clean his when he leaves to go on a job and a day or so after he is home......if he is home that long!

Everything else gets done as it needs or as I have time.

With DH gone so much, I have three children and a FIL that I am responsible for and takes up my time!

I figure that I am only one person who can only do so much in a 24 hour day and if anyone comes to my home and complains, then they can help me clean!!!
Old 08-24-2002, 03:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

House cleaning schedule

Ok... house cleaning... not everyone's favorite but it can be rewarding. When it was just my dh and 2 ds I kept a schedule. Every Monday I would do laundry, ironing, dust, vacuum and scrub floors, every Tuesday.................. But now, three foster sons later! -You get the picture.

I don't "spring clean". I do stuff when it needs it. I live by the motto, "Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today". I'm so affraid if I get behind, whith 7 of us, that I'll never get caught up. I'm trying to freezer cook as much as possible, which frees my time and clean up. I get my kids involved too. They have three chores a month that they get allowance for. We also have a chore day every other Saturday. It takes them about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. They do stuff like, wash down the fronts of the kitchen cupboards, doorways and light switches, Windex all appliances and glass/mirrors, vacuum, scrub tub and sink, weed, sweep porches (even scrub them down). I make them pitch in because they're part of this family and if we don't work together, it just won't "fly".

How often I do things? I vacuum daily downstairs, every other day up stairs, total bathroom cleaning is every other day, counters are daily, I scrub/mop the kitchen and bath 1x a week unless it needs it more often, I look for cobwebs regularly when I'm vacuuming and get them, our steps are wooden and they get vacuumed and scrubed 2x week, I dust thoroughly 2x week... and the list goes on. I used to be SO picky. Even to where it was not healthy. With the extra people in the house I'm getting better because there is no way it can be perfect.

Good luck with your housekeeping. I hope you get things sparkling.
Old 08-24-2002, 04:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Housecleaning

JenniferInSeattle - you have an excellent excuse for not being caught up with your housework. Wow! A ten + pound baby - you are truly blessed. I remember not having any energy for several months after my child was born. So if you are doing any cleaning at all, I admire you.
ABear - you must spend as much time as I do on these boards. I think it's addicting. You do have a busy schedule. How can you stand vacuuming and dusting every day? I guess God gave you the child who had a mother that could keep up that pace. I don't know what I would do. I just hate housework. Luckily, Amy managed to grow up in my constantly messy - not really dirty - home.Man! I would hate to vacuum everyday. Do you have a special vacuum? I have tried almost every brand. I go through them fairly quickly, even though they don't get that much use.
Let me know what kind you have - OK? If you have the bagless kind, do you have to replace the filter? Everytime I wear out a belt it seems like I end up either having to take the thing to the vacuum store to get them to replace the belt, or buy a new vacuum. Isn't that awful? And I am cheap in other ways, but mechanical things and I don't get along.
Chris, just the thought of cooking for 7 people is amazing. That would be like Thanksgiving cooking every day for me. How many loads of laundry do you do a day? Do you work too? See if you can do it, why can't I?
I am a little angry at the Flylady. Why couldn't she just publish a list like Shaun did and then continue her weekly hints? Well, she did help me a lot during the summer, but in some ways I find she is kind of funny in a sweet way. Like tucking us in at night is a little funny. Some of her testimonials are very real though. I can relate to many of them. I had to skip the gym one day this week to clean for the a.c. man (as if he would really care). Now I need to find all those things I hid.
Well, I am off to the gym. Thanks everyone. Have a great and clean weekend. This is my day for yardwork so I hope it doesn't get too hot or rain. BYE!
Old 08-24-2002, 04:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

cabinet cleaner

Mulberry--I purchase a product called Cabinet Magic and one called Panel Magic at Lowe's. I have used both of these with good rusults. You might find them elsewhere but that is where I buy mine. I also have a bottle of stain stratch cover that I use on mine. I can't remembr where I purchased this , because I've had it a long time, but I'm sure they make similar products. I also have seen a scratch cover in a stick that you can use. I clean my cabinets with the cabinet or panel magic and then cover up wear areas with the stain stratch cover.
Hope this helps
Lauraleah in Missouri