Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-27-2002, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

shocking burning smell in dryer

I dried a load of clothes recently and when they came out the clothes had a kind of burnt smell. I checked everything in there and eveything was ok, no burnt clothes or dryer. I then checked to see if the line going outside was clogged and when I removed it, a bunch of yucky water came out. I dried another load and it was ok. I know there are dangers of fire if the lines or lint trap are clogged with lint, but is there supposed to be water in there?? I've never had this problem before, does anyone know what might have caused the smell?
Old 07-27-2002, 12:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Water could have been caused by condensation. Make sure all the vent lines are cleaned and clear. YOu may want to change the one tha is connected to the dryer now. Make sure it is metal and not plastic. Also, make sure the lint trap is also cleaned.

If all else fails, have someone take a look at it.
Old 07-27-2002, 03:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks Shawn! I checked out the lint trap and the line and everything seems ok for now. I do have to get a new steel line since the one we have is plastic and I've heard that's not good to have due to fires. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-27-2002, 05:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

check the outside part of the vent rain may be getting in from there also....and of course will settle at the bottom of the dryer tube and with the lint that gets in there that could be smelly..a new one and check outside...even after that i wouldnt leave the house while its running for a while.......
Old 07-27-2002, 06:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm not sure if my problem is the same as yours, but it's always good to pass on information that could be helpful....especially when I never even realized that my dryer was made this way, and it potentially was a horrible fire hazard. On the inside of my dryer, on the back of the drum, there are holes that pull out the lint, however, for some reason, it wasn't all going into my lint trap. I'm not even sure how long this had accumulated on there, but it scares me to think what would have happened had my dryer not dried a load of clothing one day, and I started investigating with a flashlight. It took me hours, but with a cooking fork, a vacuum cleaner, and an attached piece of garden hose, I was able to remove all of the lint that was clogging the holes, and I check it every week now so that it doesn't clog up again....... I hope you will all check your dryers now.......
Old 07-28-2002, 05:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Burning Dryer Smell

YUK!, I actually ended up with a "fire" in my dryer. The fireman said that the drum is lined with an insulation, which breaks down as it ages. It overheats and as it cracks and falls away onto the heating elements. Poof. You didn't say how old your dryer is, but it would be worth checking out. Virginia.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

whoa..! my hubby is an electronics tech and he said that's a hard one to figure....there are lots of possibilities..have a professional look at it....and certainly do not run the dryer and leave the house....or go to sleep. Fire is a distinct possibility.....

Jeannie
Old 07-28-2002, 12:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Our dryer was new when we bought it (2000), but we've only used it for a total of a year (we moved to a few different places and had to store it for a while). I think I'll get out the manual and see if there are any places that may be clogged that I'm missing. Thanks everyone for your help. I would hate to have a fire, so I'm looking into every possibility. I will say that it is doing ok now, I ran it after I emptied the water and emptied the lint trap. (I made sure to stand by it while it ran in case of any burning.) I think I'll have my uncle come check it out just in case. Wouldn't want to take any chances!!
Old 07-28-2002, 11:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

burn smell in dryer

I had this same problem with my dryer. Not only was there a faint burnt smell, the clothes were not drying properly. I too, looked in the line to the outside and found water, along with a lot of lint. I called the repairman who said the problem was having the dryer too close to the wall. The hose was apparently crimped and so the air, etc couldn't vent properly. After he cleaned out the hose and reattached it, the dryer has worked wonderfully.

Hope this helps...
Muriel Taylor
Old 07-29-2002, 10:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks Muriel! Mine is pretty close to the wall, I'll move it out a little bit. I never thought of that!