What to use to clean inside of washing machine?

• I like to clean my washing machine out every few months by running a cycle of water and cleaner through it without any clothes in it. Would you use bleach or just vinegar to clean it or is there something else that you would use?

• I use vinegar I think a half a bottle. (smaller sized bottle)

Hope this helps.

Alice
  • I would use a cup or two of white vinegar. I try to avoid bleach unless your washing machine has a moldy smell.
  • I use one tablespoon (or cap full, which ever is handy) of Simple Green every couple of months... it's environmentally and pet friendly (encase of spills).
  • I use vinegar - it works great!
  • I use vinegar in every load of washing, I have a front loader, but this does not keep the mould on the rubbers/seals at bay, I've tried bleach as well and this didn't work either.
    I leave the door to the machine open when not in use so not quite sure why it goes mouldy, I've tried scrubbing by hand those mouldy areas but even that doesnt' seem to work .... any other ideas?
  • I found a new cleaning product recently at a "Home Depot" that my DH and I were browsing through, in their cleaning supply isle. I unfortunately do not have the pack handy, but it has three individual cleaning packs in one resealable bag. Anyway, you put the tablet in the washer machine, follow directions on package for your type of washing unit, and let in run until done. What I find unique about this package isn't the citric clean smell afterwards, but that it cleans away the grime and yuck that has been forming around the soap/softener/bleach dispenser of our front loader.
  • Quote: I found a new cleaning product recently at a "Home Depot" that my DH and I were browsing through, in their cleaning supply isle. I unfortunately do not have the pack handy, but it has three individual cleaning packs in one resealable bag. Anyway, you put the tablet in the washer machine, follow directions on package for your type of washing unit, and let in run until done. What I find unique about this package isn't the citric clean smell afterwards, but that it cleans away the grime and yuck that has been forming around the soap/softener/bleach dispenser of our front loader.
    Did you happen to see if it will work in top loading machines, too? What price are we talking?
  • I run enough bleach loads through my washing machine (weekly), I never give thought to starting a special cleaning or disinfecting cycle.