Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Used my slow cooker for the 1st time!!!!

I can't say it was a massive success but it was OK and at least I now know where I went wrong with this dish and how to tweak it next time!

I made Pasta with lemon, bacon and peas (photo below)... It looked kind of lonely on the plate despite making garlic bread to go with it so I think next time I will also include a green leaf salad and some dressing as well.

If anyone wants to try it I can dig out the exact measurements but basically I used spiralli pasta, put it in the slow cooker with chicken stock, water, double cream, a sprig or two of thyme, some lemon zest and left it for 2 1/2 hours. Then added bacon, parmesan, 2 eggs and peas for the last 15-20 minutes. And then seasoned to taste.

The down points of it where that despite the liquid being almost all gone, the pasta was overcooked and soggy. It was also very light on taste (a bit bland) and there was TONS of the stuff left over.

Next time I make this dish I am going to try cooking it for less time, adding more parmesan and some cheddar and some extra cream. I may also forego the lemon zest as I don't feel it really added anything other than a slightly sickly sweet taste to a slightly bland dish.

I think next time I make it, it will be really good... And considering I rarely (ie. never!) cook and have NEVER used a slow cooker in my life it was edible (the kids and DH cleaned their plates, but I haven't been feeling too well the last couple of days so mushy pasta wasn't good for me!)... I'm pretty confident that next time it will be lovely!

Anyway, here's a photo of it as it finished cooking in the slow cooker, and looking rather lonely on the dinner plate!

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...311_350903.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...12_1678178.jpg
Raistlin - 6
Ashton - 4
Lacey-Rose - 3
Liberty-Hope - 1
Robin - 6 months
Old 06-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ah I just realised the [ img ] stuff is all switched off... I don't know how to post pics properly so you can see them..???
Raistlin - 6
Ashton - 4
Lacey-Rose - 3
Liberty-Hope - 1
Robin - 6 months
Old 06-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Assistant Moderator

I saw your pics in their links.

Was tihs a designated crockpot recipe? Just curious?
It took me a while to use mine when I got it my first dish was a chinesey chicken and pineapple dish using drumsticks, those drumsticks were so tender.
My fault is lifting the lid all the time to stir and check, I'm told that's a no no.
Now you've started you can't stop!! LOL

Old 06-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hiya,

I got the original recipe out of a slow cooker recipe book... I can dig out the title if you want?! But to be honest, I followed instructions in the book to the letter and as I said - it was really bland tasting so I am definately raring to tweak next time around! LOL

And you're right... I've been bitten by the slow cooking bug now!

Tomorrow I'm going to make italian meatballs in it and I'm already dying to get going and have a taste!!! LOL
Raistlin - 6
Ashton - 4
Lacey-Rose - 3
Liberty-Hope - 1
Robin - 6 months
Old 06-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have used a crockpot since 1979. I couldn't live without one. I have never cooked pasta in mine as it will become over cooked and soggy. Roast, beans, stews, and so on are the best to cook in a crockpot. There is a wonderful chicken cacciatore recipes on FC somewhere that is made entirely in the crockpot. Of course, you will have to make the pasta in a separate pan to pour the lucious juices and chicken over. The best thing I like about the crockpot is that I start dinner and leave for work. When I come home, it's done!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I thought it look pretty good,but I've never try cooking pasta in the crockpot.I've use a crockpot for years in fact I'm on my third one.I've cook a whole chicken in it before that was so tender it fell apart & we had to pick the bones out LoL.But really it was so good.I also like cooking swiss steak in the crockpot & serve over rice.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Assistant Moderator

Well for us winter is on the way so my crockpot will be coming out in the very near future. I like that you can make double and freeze the other portion.
I've made creamed rice (I think you call it rice pudding?) that was good and I know that somewhere here there are other dessert recipes for the crock .... now that you've started me thinking will have to go search I think!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I've found that the hardest thing to cook in a crockpot is pasta.

Don't give up on crockpot cooking! Next time try a roast, chicken or soup. If you want to add pasta to a dish, you will have better luck cooking it seperately and adding it to the rest of the dish at the end.

Good luck!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-03-2009, 03:33 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for all the words of wisdom girls!!! It was OK, but a bit bland - even the fact it was a bit overcooked didn't really bother me as I quite like soggy pasta! LOL :P Just the lack of taste really, so next time I make it I'm going to bump up the flavourings I think!

Tonight I am attempting Italian Meatballs! Eep!

I'm really, REALLY into my slow cooker now! It's the one kitchen gadget I've bought that I've really enjoyed using so far... I think it's just a question of getting used to cooking and getting used to using it and how it works really.
Raistlin - 6
Ashton - 4
Lacey-Rose - 3
Liberty-Hope - 1
Robin - 6 months
Old 06-03-2009, 04:04 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Cooking with a slow cooker is really great once you get the hang of it.I'll be depending on my slow cooker & eletric skillet alot this summer as we've move into a trailer that doesn't have central air but we do have three a.c. so will be hotter than what we're used too, also I'm starting a job so will be short on time.The optains for both of these ways of cooking are wonderful.Good luck with your meatballs today.