Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 01-20-2003, 07:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

needed leg of lamb recipe

Hi I was wondering if anyone can give me a leg of lamb recipe. I bought one and don't know how to cook it. It can be diabetic or a regular recipe. It can also be low fat or a regular recipe.

Thank you

Millie
Old 01-25-2003, 07:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

mmm.....leg of lamb....a rather decadent meal, depending on how you wish to treat it. if i roast it, bone in....then i trim the outer fat and rub the outside with a mixture of crushed garlic and rosemary seeds and a bit of oil to give it the right consistency....roast, uncovered in a pan and rack for about 30 minutes per pound....depending on how you like your meat. lamb is best if slightly rare.

or if the bone is removed and it is butterflied you can use the same method or get creative with cajun, blackened lamb....but that has to be cooked outside or with good ventilation as it smokes.

cut up pieces of lamb lend themself to curry, stew, souvlaki etc.

traditionally lamb is cooked with garlic and rosemary or curry....but i have let my imagination run wild at times.

as you might notice..i love lamb and often buy a side when on special, even though dh grumbles the whole time he cleans off the plate.

if you want more details, let me know.

enjoy.

carol
Old 01-25-2003, 07:10 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

LEG OF LAMB RECIPE

I have a lowboy 5qt crockpot. I plan on making an Irish Stew. I do use a leg of lamb for this. Its just a simple recipe, potatoes, carrots and sliced onion with some water and a few boullion cubes. I can post my recipe if need be. But other then that, my crockpot cooks meat to the point where they meat falls off the bone and I just skim off the fat.
If using lamb chops, I grill that and use a minty apple jelly, served with rice, rolls and either green beans or broccoli.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:21 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

LEG OF LAMB RECIPE NEEDED

;-) hI JSN131,

CAN YOU PLEASE POST YOUR RECIPE I WOULD APPRIECIATE IT. I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT 131 STANDS FOR BECAUSE THAT IS MY DATE OF BIRTH. I WAS WONDERING IF WE SHARE THE SAME BIRTHDAY. THANK YOU MILLIE
Old 01-25-2003, 08:59 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

Irish Stew

The recipe says lamb cubes. If I don't have a lamb shank, I'll fry up some of the cubes and place that in crockpot. I now have a lowboy 5qt that now fits the bone. Otherwise, made for cramped quarters. Put the shank in the pot.
Add the following:
4 cups chicken, beef or vegetable broth
(I may use a combo of sherry and chicken broth I find beef is too strong in some cases)
1/4 teaspoon, pepper, celery seed, marjoram and thyme
3 medium cubed potatoes
1 medium chopped onion
2 chopped carrots (optional)
my husband is the only one that likes cooked carrots
Cover and cook on low, until the meat is done. My new crock cooks within 6 to 8 hours.
Combine 1/2 cup water to 6 tablespoons flour, mix into a paste and then add after 6 or 8 hours to the lamb stew mixture.
Add 1 cup defrosted peas.
Cook about half hour more. Serve. I make dumplings and top that or biscuits. Enjoy.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:01 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

I forgot, in reference to 131? Yes, that is my birthdate.
I'll be 40 next Friday. The years have gone quickly. IMO
Old 01-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Roasted succulent leg of lamb is absolutely wonderful....

I make it one of two ways....

With a pointed knife, make deep indents in the meat and put in
slivers of garlic. sprinkle roast with pepper and parsley....and roast..... This is a very simple but very delicious way to make it..

Or.. insert the garlic cloves, then in a large plastic bag, put in the roast....juice of one lemon, 1/4 cup oil, 1 teaspoon oregano. 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt... marinate, rotating the bag a few times, over night...... then roast at 350 degrees about 30 min a lb... to internal temperature of 150 degrees... let sit 7 min before thinly slicing..

I serve with with either buttered rice or rice pilaf..... and peas.
The aroma of this roast will make you salivate.. *smiles*

Please do not overcook lamb...

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 01-25-2003, 09:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Millie.. Bring it to my house..I'll cook it for you, and help you eat it! ;-) No one else in my house likes it.

I rub it with olive oil, then a good ammount of either crushed garlic, or garlic powder and salt. Then I crush up a palm-full of rosemary and rub that on too. ( I love rosemary on lamb.) Thyme is good too.

Then into a roasting pan with about 3/4 cup of dry red wine and 1 freshed squeezed lemon. I roast it at 375 degrees for about 28 minutes per pound. (It comes out medium rare.) If you like it better done, increase the cooking time.

I love garlic and rosemary with lamb. You can make that cucumber/yogurt/ garlic sauce to go with it... or a mint sauce ... or just eat it in it's own juices.

I like it with roasted potatoes, but rice pilaf, or couscous is nice too.

Let me know when you're making it.. I'd love to help!

Val
Old 01-27-2003, 03:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Needed leg of lamb recipe

Hi Ladies, I want to thank all of you for your recipes. I really appreicate it. Carol it seems we share the same birthday only I will be 39. I hope you have a wonderful birthday and many more to come. Millie
Old 01-27-2003, 03:55 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Needed leg of lamb recipe

I just want to say sorry to jsn131 that birthday wish was for you.
Millie