FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Low Fat, Diabetic, Low Carb & Gluten Free (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/low-fat-diabetic-low-carb-gluten-free/)
-   -   Progress Reports: Success or Stall updates (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/low-fat-diabetic-low-carb-gluten-free/10018-progress-reports-success-stall-updates.html)

leasmom 03-20-2004 01:24 PM

Progress Reports: Success or Stall updates

Well...I didn't see anything on this subject so thought I'd add it...how's your LCing going? Are you feeling good, are you frustrated with not seeing the pounds shave off like they did in the first few weeks/months?

Let's share our frustrations and our accomplishments!!!:-D

ajrsmom 03-20-2004 01:47 PM

Well, I wasnt seeing the results that I wanted to see on the South Beach diet, so I became discouraged and stopped. I did feel good when I was doing it though!

Im going against everything Ive ever said about the Atkins diet and Im going to start it on Monday. If I can achieve the weightloss that I want with this, I think that I would go back to maintaining with the SB diet because Im still not convinced that you can eat as much fat for a long period of time that the Atkins diet allows.

Must say, you are very inspiring with your posts!! :-D :daisy: Hopefully I will see results like you are!

Tami

leasmom 03-20-2004 02:06 PM

You do stall though

I've been stalling for awhile. I am still losing inches but it does get frustrating when you want to see the major loss of weight that you saw in the beginning but if we remember that originally we weren't losing any and that a few inches a week, a few pounds a month does add up it's worth it. I guess it depends on what you're starting weight is, how fast or how slow it goes and how many carbs you take in per day. The least amount the greater the loss of weight but most people don't want to be on Induction for a long time...what I do is to look on the atkins website at the before and after pictures. That helps me get through those times when I am looking at myself saying...I've lost weight but I haven't lost as much as I previously did for a few weeks now...

But also I am seeing it in other places...like the fact that 2 wks ago I had bought some new bras that were cutting off my circulation when I tried to put them on...since yesterday I've been wearing them...so that helps me to not quit or feel the frustration...plus I'm excersing, something I hadn't done since I was a kid. I don't like the smirks I get from people who think it's funny to see a heavyset person excersing but I'm using that to help me continue.

I walk a few laps every week now and I'm trying to step it up to 2 or 3 times a week. That helps with the weight loss. This is new for me because I wasn't able to even get up and do regular stuff for myself like to bend over or to get up from the couch without a whole bunch of effort...so dd would have to get things for me or take off my shoes and socks for me because I couldn't and I didn't have the strength to do it...so here I am now walking 5 laps yesterday and 3 today!!!

I guess whenever we feel down we've got to look at our positives and looking at other people who did it really helps too. It may take a few months to achieve it...some people it's taken them over a year because of their starting weight, but the whole thing is to enjoy it, each step as we go down, ya know...

Abear 03-20-2004 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by leasmom
But also I am seeing it in other places...like the fact that 2 wks ago I had bought some new bras that were cutting off my circulation when I tried to put them on...since yesterday I've been wearing them...so that helps me to not quit or feel the frustration.
^^ ^^ Way to go!!!

Quote:

plus I'm excersing, something I hadn't done since I was a kid. I don't like the smirks I get from people who think it's funny to see a heavyset person excersing but I'm using that to help me continue.
I can NOT stand people like that!!! That is so mean and uncalled for!! Instead of acting like that, they should offer support..........or keep their actions/opinions to themselves!!

I am trying to eat better now that I may have cardiac issues but it is soooooo hard....especially since I don't actually have "the diagnosis". While I certainly don't want to have any issue with my heart, if I did, maybe I'd lose the 50+ pounds that I need to! Maybe all I need to do is lose weight! However, my will power deserted me when we moved here near all of this rich, delicious Cajun food!! :( :( Sadly, I've gained about 30 pounds since we moved here almost 6 years ago......it was more but early last year I managed to lose some of the weight I gained..but not nearly enough.

I need to investigate the different low cab diets......Atkins, South Beach, etc....

When I was grocery shopping while ago, I saw some Lo Carb spaghetti sauce (5 "net carbs" per serving). I almost got some but decided against it as I am not sure what "net carb" means. :confused: :confused:

Patrice - I am certainly not suggesting removing this thread or anything like that. But have you thought about asking Amanda to "open" a weight loss journal for you??? I am seriously considering it for myself after I see the cardiologist.

ajrsmom 03-20-2004 03:37 PM

The weight loss journals are great !! I used mine daily when I was losing weight before I had my daughter. You can use it to post anything that you want to about your weight loss or other aspects about yourself.

I plan on starting mine again on Monday when I give the Atkins plan a try.

:-D

Abear, Net carbs= carbs minus any fiber content of a product. Ex---Spag. sauce might have 7 carbs but have 2 grams of fiber. That would give you 5 net carbs.

Leasmom, Am I explaining this right? Im pretty sure that I am.

Tami :daisy:

leasmom 03-20-2004 05:35 PM

Abear, that's exactly right!!!

It took me a while to figure out what net carbs were-LOL! I think I was avoiding alot of foods I could actually have...

Abear, I had this one guy and his wife laugh right in my face...it made me feel bad but I then walked 5 laps, one being a really long lap around the riverwalk. Those comments used to stop me and make me not want to be out and doing things but now I'm proud of myself, so I don't let that hurt me.

If you don't think you can stick to a strict diet, the South Beach would be good for you. My sister is losing weight on it. She does a variation on it because she never read the book and she doesn't count the calories or carbs, she just sticks to the foods they said including the lowfat foods and she's losing. I think if you're insulin resistant than you have a harder time trying to lose weight, but she isn't insulin resistant so this worked for her. Her husband didn't even know who she was when he was at the Army base after returning from Iraq. He hugged his kids, hugged their family friends and then asked, "Where's Mila?" She was standing right next to him!-LOL!

But like for me, I need the strictness of atkins or else I would cheat too easily. There's alot of different low carb diets. Just find one you can stick too for the rest of your life.

VickiLynn 03-28-2004 02:14 PM

My first 2 weeks on SB phase 1, I lost 10#. Then 2 weeks on Ph. 2, didn't lose anything (but my jeans do feel looser). Starting tomorrow I'm going back on Ph. 1 until Easter.

Has anyone seen this month's Family Circle Magazine? They have some low carb recipes that look really good.

Abear 03-28-2004 03:13 PM

Quote:

Abear, I had this one guy and his wife laugh right in my face...it made me feel bad but I then walked 5 laps, one being a really long lap around the riverwalk. Those comments used to stop me and make me not want to be out and doing things but now I'm proud of myself, so I don't let that hurt me.
I absolutely H A T E people like that! :mad: :mad: Like they are in ANY way perfect! Wish they could get a dose of their own stupidity!! :mad:

Quote:

Originally posted by VickiLynn
Has anyone seen this month's Family Circle Magazine? They have some low carb recipes that look really good.

Would that be the March or April issue??
:confused:

VickiLynn 03-28-2004 04:55 PM

It says the April 20 issue. I never understood how those magazine dates work. It has a floral wreath on the cover.

leasmom 03-28-2004 08:17 PM

I just had a whoosh!!!

The person I was when I went to bed was NOT the same person I woke up too!!!^^ ^^ ^^

For nearly a month now I've been losing inches, but last night I had a whoosh and I dropped a lb or 2. I can see the difference mainly in my face and chest and in my pants. These were pants I could not fit just 3 months ago, that I could squeeze into a few weeks ago and now there VERY comfortable with room in them...

My stomach is still sticking out, but around the sides are smaller-(my stomach is ALOT smaller than it originally was but if I could zap it with a wand I would-LOL!:-D ), so I'm alot happier today!!!^^ :-D :-P:: ^^

LJsmom 03-29-2004 01:05 PM

Leasmom you are an inspiration to us all.:heart:
Somersizing is another LC program, but you don't see much hype about it. Its not as strict as Atkins but along the same lines; for me thats better.
I think dh is losing faster than me, now thats just NOT fair.

and to all those ignorant people, they will get theirs. what comes around goes around !!!

leasmom 03-29-2004 01:11 PM

I read somewhere that men take off the weight faster than us gals

It is unfair but they don't hold water like we do...jeez!!!

I just got through walking...I think I'm gonna start walking 3 X's a week, I've got the time, why not!!! I feel so much better after walking...I must've activated some long lost muscle or something cause after walking my arm feels tighter-hmmm... I kept telling myself...I;m gonna be a power-walker oneday...that's when this elderly lady started walking and to my 1 lap she passed me up twice-LOL!...maybe that'll be me oneday and active at an elderly age!!!

VickiLynn 03-29-2004 02:01 PM

Patrice, glad to hear you got your "whoosh". I know you've been waiting for it. Before you know it, that stomach will be gone! Keep up the good work.:)

I just got home from the store. I picked up some Phase 1 staples: lots of green stuff (celery, zucchini, spinich.....), and some duct tape (for my mouth). That should get me through 2 more weeks of ph. 1.;)

leasmom 03-29-2004 03:59 PM

Duct Tape-LOL!

Good for you too!!! My favorite green thing is spinach, as long as it's not cooked!!! I had cooked greens-(from the can)-for breakfast yesterday. I just needed a good change. Keep up the good work, we're gonna make it!!!

ajrsmom 03-29-2004 04:10 PM

Good for You, Leasmom!!! ^^ ^^

You have been working really hard and deserve to see some great results!! :-D

LJsmom, Ive heard about Somersizing but I havent read a lot about it. There were some others here doing that plan at one time too. What is the overview of it?

There are so many different lc plans out there, its so hard to make a choice!!

VickiLynn, Just a word about the duct tape....it hurts to pull it off!! ROFLMAO ;-) I think that Ive tried everything to keep me from cheating at one time or another.

I want to go to the big flea market/farmers market in Ohio next this Friday but they are predicting rain and its not a place that you want to go walk around in the in. Hopefully the weather will change by then.

Im out of everything again. This is pretty expensive but Im sticking to it.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK EVERYONE!!

leasmom 03-29-2004 08:35 PM

I spend about $15 extra a week

Of course I don't buy that many LC products too, but just the basic's can cost. But, it makes you feel so good to eat better that I don't mind the cost. Next week I go grocery shopping but I will probably have to buy more before then.

I check the sales every week...because where I live food is VERY expensive. I'm hoping it'll be cheaper when I move.

LJsmom 03-29-2004 09:59 PM

Ajrs,
Somersizing is basically LC but with food combining. Sounds complicated but not really. Certain types of foods digest quicker or hamper the digestion of others when combined together. For inst. fruits should never be eaten with other things. The acidity (or something) slows down absorbtion and can cause bloating.

Sounds weird I know, but pay attention the next time you eat fruit with or w/o other foods.

Shes also pushing low sugar and whole grains (not whole wheat-there is a difference). Found it easier because you don't have to count carbs, just watch what you eat them with.

check out some books in the library just for grins. If you can get past the 3's company image in your head, she's very upbeat and has tons of great recipes that are good for any LC'er if nothing else.

I lost 15# really quick, then ooopsed on ice cream as a stress reliever. Now I'm back on track.

leasmom 04-05-2004 04:22 PM

I'm now in a size 26/28!!!

Which is wonderful since I started out at a size 36 shirt, which was very tight...or a 5X when it should've been a 6X...

So I bought a $6.38 shirt at Walmart and was gonna take it back in exchange for some undies...I had bought them a size too small at first but now they fit so I decided to not buy them and instead put on the shirt. It fit and has room but not falling off, but it's not tight- and dd says that I have room, I should get a smaller shirt-LOL! I told her no I need it to be nearly falling off before I get another one...

And I noticed that my stomach is smaller...stomach A is still hanging down but stomach B now doesn't stick out like I'm pregnant so I'm happy about that- While you can still see Stomach A hanging down low...or as someone calls it their apron-LOL, it's alot better than before...it'll be there awhile but it's still nice to know it's going away...

I'm not sure if I can fit into all sized 26/28 but I know the size 30 shirts are too big and look too big now and so I'll have to replace them in a minute...I also need to buy some new pants...one pair is nearly falling off and so I found the same pair at Walmart for $14, but I don't know if I should buy the clothes now or wait...I only have about 4 pair of pants now...and one is hanging off...what should I do???

Decisions, decisions!!!

VickiLynn 04-05-2004 04:28 PM

I'M SOOOO PROUD OF YOU !!!!!!!

Go buy yourself some new pants. You deserve a reward for all your hard work.

ajrsmom 04-05-2004 06:06 PM

YAY!!!!! WOW !!!!! YIPPEE!!!! ^^ :daisy:

Just think of it this way too......... WalMart's clothes are smaller in size compared to Lane Bryant and places like that .....just think of what size you would be in there!! I do that for motivation too!!

I have been putting off buying any summer clothes in hopes of dropping a size. How about Goodwill or Salvation Army or someplace like that? That way you wouldnt have to pay an arm and a leg for something that you wont get a lot of wear out of.
Hit the clearance racks too.....I found a great pair of ST Johns dressier sweat pants on a clearance rack when I was looking for maternity clothes for $6.00 marked down from $35 !!! They were only a 2x but they fit!!! They are my favorite pants even though they are getting worn out. Cant hurt to check it out!!

Good Luck on your search.

Be very proud of what youve accomplished!!!!!

Tami

leasmom 04-05-2004 06:24 PM

Thanks everyone!

ajrsmom, Good ideal. I'll check the other Goodwill on Wednesday when I head over to Save-A-Lot across town. I'll check it out then.

VickiLynn 04-22-2004 06:24 PM

My sides are smaller. You know how when you're walking and swinging your arms, your elbows are always rubbing against your sides?? Well, There's a little less "rubbing" going on these days.l

VickiLynn 04-22-2004 06:28 PM

Also, the almost-daily heartburn I used to get is totally gone. And I'm sleeping much better, and I do have more energy!! ^^

leasmom 04-22-2004 09:03 PM

Hey, did you go to reach for a part of your body that is no

longer there, it's smaller. That happened to me a couple of times, it was strange to have to readjust to what I thought my arm, neck etc. was like. I can now take my hand and wrap it around my wrist, it's but a dime away from touching fingers. I haven't been able to do that in years!! My arms aren't hanging down so much either, I think once I move to Tennessee I'm gonna buy some bar-bells though the ideal of using them doesn't appeal to me-LOL!

ajrsmom 04-22-2004 10:07 PM

My flabby arms are the part that I want to disappear badly!!!!

My sides are getting smaller too!! ^^

My legs seem to be getting a little firmer ( I hope!!)

As of this morning, I down another pound!! 4 lbs to go for 20lbs lost!! ::-)::

leasmom 04-23-2004 06:52 AM

My stomach is the main problem for me

I think I could deal with my behind a little longer if the stomach would just disappear but both are big problems. They are gettting smaller just not fast enough. Another one that is getting smaller but is still a problem is the fat in the inside of your legs...ugh. But, I can't complain, it's going...better than it returning-LOL!

VickiLynn 04-23-2004 11:14 AM

Be patient. You're both doing great! Remember:

BABY STEPS :daisy:

According to my Jorje Cruze book, for arms, you stand a couple feet out from a wall, with your hands on the wall. Then push in and out slowly. Kind-of like pushups, only standing up. As you get stronger, you can do it off something lower, like a coffee table.

leasmom 04-23-2004 11:35 AM

Guess what, I bought a size 3X!

You have to understand that I was nearly in a size 6X!!! I didn't realize until today how big I really was! I was wearing 5X's but they were too tight, today I had to go buy a sweater because I had given away all my larger sized clothes/coats just to have a freak snow storm today so I looked and looked and didn't believe that I could fit into the size 3x's which was the only plus sizes I found at the thrift store.

So, I went to the men's section like I used to do and couldn't find anything there. They had a men's jacket and pants but it was like $18.99 and I'm not paying that in a thrift store, so I went back to the women's section and found a sweater and a few shirts. It was half off day so I decided to try the clothes on in the changing room. Well, wouldn't ya know it but the 3X fit. I got one shirt too that will fit better in a few days. The other two shirts, one would fit in a few days but my stomach and butt are still preventing me from being able to fit it completely so I put that back and the other shirt fit but it was too light so I put it back. When I looked at that size though I did not think I could fit a 3X, I just knew it would be extemely tight on me, but it fit!!!

I also looked at pants but had no ideal what size to buy, they had some 26/28 but I wasn't sure if I could fit it just yet. The stretchier pants were like size 5X and I looked at it shockingly, I could not believe that I used to fit into that and it was tight!!! It was HUGE!!!

I also noticed that the pants I have on now are looking really loose on me and makes me look untidy. But, I'm getting smaller and that's great.

I also noticed that in the mirror, I looked short...that's probably because I'm 5'6 and my body is starting to shift the way I was supposed to look, which is a short person with a small body, instead of a big body on a shorter frame. All I noticed before was my body and now I actually noticed my height.

Can I say, yay!!! I will never, ever let myself get back to being like that again!!!

ajrsmom 04-23-2004 11:48 AM

Way to Go!!!!! ^^ ^^ Im so happy for you!! :-D I can hear it in your word just how happy you are!

I know what you mean about pants making you look sloppy. I have on a pair of stretch pants that I have been wearing to exercise in. They dont do a thing for my big butt but they are so comfortable.

I have a big chest and a big butt ---they prevent me from wearing a lot of shirts....the chest not so much now but the butt , YES! :o

We are going to some yard sales tomorrow (cant wait!!!!). I would love to find some stuff for me. :) I hardly ever buy things for me anymore---isnt that the way it is when you have kids and a DH? But since I had an awful morning ( will explain later, not enough time now), Im going out tomorrow for me!!!

Great luck with finding the clothes!! I hardly have any luck at Salvation Army or GoodWill.

VickiLynn, For the wall push-ups, Do your hands face sp toward the ceiling? Im going to try doing these. Does it recommend a certain number of sets to do?

Thanks for telling us about them!! Ill try just about anything to get rid of these wings. ;-)

Im off to Curves......talk to ya all later on tonight. :daisy:

VickiLynn 04-23-2004 01:45 PM

Leasmom, I'm so HAPPY for you!!!
You're going to be sooo skinny walking down those University halls in a couple months! Good job.

The wall pushups are done with hands facing up. The farther away you stand, the better the workout. He says do 4 sets of 12.

VickiLynn 04-24-2004 12:16 PM

I just got back from my walk. It's good when I do it early in the day. Because after doing all that work, I don't want to screw it up by eating the wrong stuff.

Leasmom I'm 5'6, too. Any idea what our ideal weight is supposed to be?

ajrsmom 04-24-2004 12:44 PM

Hi Ladies!!

Lifestar posted this site on another forum. It is a site that has exercises along with pictures on how to do the exercises the right way. http://www.fatlosstips.com/tone.html

I havent had a chance to really look at it yet but I thought that I would share it here too since we were talking about exercises.

Didnt do Curves today....did yard sales instead ROFLMAO

So I really havent done any exercising. Im going to start doing those wall push-ups tonight along with some leg lifts.

My Dh said that you can tell Ive lost a lot of weight in my face....HHHMMM......of all places, I didnt think that I had a fat head!! ::-)::

ajrsmom 04-24-2004 01:01 PM

VickiLynn, Here is a site that will give you an idea about your weight. http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

I just did it and it gave almost the exact number for my body fat as Curves did.

I set my goal at 150 but have said that I will be happy with 175. Looks like I have a long way to go.

leasmom 04-24-2004 01:04 PM

I'm still resting up from walking Friday

I have a choice, I can either go walking tomorrow or I can count that I did two laps instead of one-(we're talking on the long side of the riverwalk which is like walking the 6 laps I usually do on the smaller end) and then say that I walked 3 X's a week or I could go out and do it. I don't know...I feel like crud today because I caught a dry cough from walking on Friday with no coat, so I don't feel too good, maybe I'll feel better tomorrow but if not, I'll go walking on Monday.

VickiLynn 04-24-2004 01:50 PM

Thanks for the ideal weight site! It says 167 for me. I LIKE THAT. I remember in the past, seeing charts that said 135 (haven't weighed that since I was 16). I was shooting for 165 as my ultimate goal (I'll see that about 100 pounds from now), but I thought I would still be considered overweight. This makes me feel better.

Leasmom, so you graduated to the long side of the walk::-)::
Didn't you say 6 laps on the short end was a mile? So, with 2 laps on the long end, you did 2 miles! WOW!

leasmom 04-24-2004 03:04 PM

It says I should be 155 lbs

I would be satisfied with anywhere from 165 to 200 because I didn't look heavy when I was 200 lbs. 165 would make me look really skinny like I did when I was in middle school. That's too skinny but hey, why not!!!

ajrsmom 05-10-2004 09:17 PM

You guys wont believe how happy I am today!!! I got weighed today and measured too......here are the results!!

Weight loss: 18.5 lbs

Inches lost: 18.25 inches

Body fat lbs: 11.47 lbs

^^ ^^

My total weight loss is now 30lbs!! Now, Im must add this..... On my scale at home, I weighed 3 lbs more this morning but on thier scale the last time, I weighed one more lb than I did at home. Either way, Im really happy this is working!!!

Im praying that I dont wake up like before and have it reappear again!!

I didnt lose a thing in my hips and butt so that means more walking is a must now!! So I will be joining you in reporting in on my walking progress. PLEASE keep on me to do it to!!!!!

Almost forgot, In the middle of all of this, I lost my voice!!:-P:: the last couple of years, If I get a chest cold, I lose my voice. My doc. said it had to do with my thyroid so as soon as I can talk again, I will be making an appt. for all tests that I have to have done along with my cholesteral.

I had some low carb ice cream to celebrate! I have to stop that though.......I love that stuff!!!

VickiLynn 05-11-2004 06:49 AM

Ajrsmom! Great Job! ^^ How long did it take you to lose 30#? How do they measure body fat?

I know what you mean about the ice cream. That's my downfall, too. Now that the weather is warming up, it's even harder to resist.

The other day I was thinking it would be cool if we all lived close together so we could walk together.

ajrsmom 05-11-2004 08:00 AM

Thanks VickiLynn!!

They measure body fat with this hand-held device. You grab on to it with both hands and hold it out in front of you and it supposedly reads it from your body. One thing that I dont understand is that the reading on this machine only went down 1% but yet it says that the body fat lbs lost is 11. Does this mean that 1% = 10lbs? I have to find that out today and Ill let you know.

I really, really wish that we all could walk together!! I used to walk with a girlfriend everyother night years ago and I lost 80lbs that way!!

I started Atkins on March 22 and Curves one week later. :)

leasmom 05-11-2004 08:06 AM

Woohoo, congrats on your weight loss!!!

Now get to walking-LOL! Congrats on losing and just keep going. Make sure you only eat the half cup of icecream...get some Atkins syrups-(they're expensive)-but use can pour them on your icecream with some nuts or you can make a rootbeer float...just savor the amount y ou can have and don't over do it. I think I'm more in control when I have the half gallon than I am with the sandwich bars and icecream bars; I tend to eat two of them.

When I get back to my college I'm gonna go to the gym there, I can go for free-(now that's frugal). I never used it before but now I will. We're gonna make it!!!