Low Carb Breads

• Originally posted by jdd in Aug 2003 WFD

World-Famous Low Carb Bread

Ingredients:
    1 pkg dry yeast (Rapid Rise/Highly Active)
    1/2 teaspoon sugar *
    1 1/8 cup "baby bottle warm" water (90-100°F)
    3 Tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 Tablespoon Splenda
    1 cup Wheat Gluten Flour ***
    1/4 cup oat flour
    3/4 cup soy flour
    1/4 cup flax seed meal
    1/4 cup coarse unprocessed wheat bran

Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add warm water, oil and sugar to bread machine pan. Then add mixed dry ingredients. Sprinkle yeast over the top. Set your machine to the basic cycle (3-4 hours) or rapid basic cycle and bake. Cool on a rack, refrigerate and enjoy. *

The sugar is totally consumed by the yeast and does not contribute to the carb count. I keep a few packets of restaurant sugar on-hand for this purpose so I never have to have a supply of actual sugar in the house.

** I remove my paddle after the initial kneading and before the rising cycle so I don't get a big hole in the bottom of the loaf.

*** "I've had best results using "Bob's Red Mill: Vital Wheat Gluten Flour". Whatever brand you use should be 6 grams (no fiber) per 1/4 cup on label and approx. 75% - 80% protein. It works great, keeps the taste and texture just like bakery bread, and keeps the carb count very low."

Makes 16+ slices.

Net carbs: 2.99g per slice. Other variations: You can make this a

High Protein Egg Bread by adding two eggs lightly beat to your liquid ingredients -Net Carbs: 3.6g. Swap the oat flour with 1/4 cup dark rye flour and added caraway seeds for rye bread-

Net Carbs: 5.7g. Add herbs de provence to make an herbal bread.

Just spread sliced bread with butter and garlic. Pop into the oven to brown. Makes a great garlic bread substitute.

Add cinnamon for Low Carb Cinnamon Bread. Makes for tasty French Toast. Omit the flax meal and double the wheat bran for a more "whole wheat" bread.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^* *

I always found it difficult to bake whole wheat bread without over or under cooking it until I learned that the correct internal temperature for a baked loaf is 198-200 degrees F. It really works! No more dry or doughy loaves :^)
  • bump