Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 03:07 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My sister is on Atkins, and thinks everybody else should do what she does. That's why I didn't want to do Atkins (hee hee).

I'm doing SouthBeach (without the book). I've found, by watching some of the SB websites, that the book is a bit confusing. Also, the plan is constantly being revised, and the info in the book becomes outdated. ie: Originally, tomatos, caffine and yogurt were not allowed. But now that's changed. The new SouthBeach recipe book even has some recipes that contain sugar !! They've decided a small amount of sugar isn't so bad?!?

We eat out a lot, and have a lot of family gatherings. SouthBeach gives me more choices when I'm in those situations. There's always something that's OK to eat, so it's easier for me to stick to.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I've totally blown it day after day especially this last week was PMSssss and I've been ROLLING in the carbs I've had waffles with regular syrup for breakfast (did have an egg) home made macaroni and cheese and applesauce for lunch...geez can I just go back to bed and start over??? I HATE that time of the month!!! Ok...I feel a teeny tiny bit better after ranting and raving...I AM going to SB it tomorrow....

Rosan...you've done great...last I saw you were just starting week 2...wow 20lbs! Wish I had enough stick to attitude to get the job done oh well...I guess I can try again

Sandra (the wilting daisy)

Old 07-24-2004, 03:53 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Sandie and Vickilynn

You both are on SB without the book. What are the sites that give the different levels?????

Thanks for your help
Teresa
Old 07-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Wow Sandie!! 20lbs!! Great Job!!

I will say it again....I think that everyone has to find the plan that works for them PLUS one that they can to!!

I started out on the SB diet too but it just didnt work for me because it didnt cut out carbs for me. Atkins, on the other hand, has worked great. I dont overload on the extra fats that are allowed though. (Except when PMSing ).

Sandra, Get up, brush yourself off and jump right back in with both feet!! You can do this!!!

Im planning on doing the same thing that Leasmom is doing........losing with Atkins, maintaining with South Beach.

Im at a plateau right now........this darn thing is so hard to break!! The bad thing is that I will weigh in at Curves on the 28th....I dont think the scale has moved for 5 days!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here's a few sites:

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/index.html

http://www.south-beach-diet-information.com/index.htm

http://www.prevention.com/cda/featur...,,5345,00.html

There are lots more out there.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I DID IT!!

I made it through that Mexican dinner pretty well ~ it was comprised of chili, several Mexican tortilla/meat filled casserole (burritos, enchiladas, etc.), tortilla chips and cheese, and some tacos.

I sampled (and I do mean sampled) just about everything but only a bite or two. The tacos worked because we built them ourselves and I broke one shell in half, then put on the ground beef mix sparingly, then piled on the lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, etc. That and a glass of unsweetened iced tea, and I was all set. Never did dumpster dive into my purse for what I brought "just in case". (Now I have to get down another bottle of water to offset what I did eat ... )

I have broken my arm patting myself on the back all the way home because I went over to the dessert table loaded with cookies, frosted chocolate cake squares and 4 different kinds of homemade ice cream. I groaned out loud, rubbing my tummy (now that I am under 200, I will call my ample stomach area a tummy rather than a belly!), stated that everything looked so good and inviting, but I was too full to hold anything.

The truth is that I walked away from all those sweets without so much as a twinge of longing. I never had any intention of eating anything off the dessert table but I wouldn't have hurt those ladies feelings for anything in the world.

Ok, I am off of here for now and will be back a week from tonight to catch up on everything. You all have a fantastic week and may God bless you!

Smilin' Sandie
Old 07-24-2004, 05:40 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good for you Sandie!!! I'm glad you were pattin yourself on the back because that is a hard situation to walk away from (at least for me )

ajrsmom...thanks for kicking me in the behind! I was feeling sorry for myself today and need to just get back to basics. I feel so much better when eating right so for that reason alone I've gotta give it another run.

Have a great week girls..

Sandra (the wilting )

topped 104 today

Old 07-25-2004, 05:17 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks so much for all the info and links on SB. That is interesting that some of you are using Atkins to lose and SB to maintain. I might do it that way too, since I have had success losing on Atkins. I just can't get it through my thick head that after I have lost the weight, I just can't go back to eating anything and everything I want!
Diane
Old 07-25-2004, 07:48 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

After you do it awhile, you get used to it and don't want to return to

eating that way again, plus low carb products do help, if used sparingly. Eating low carb ice cream, having a sandwich with low carb bread, a taco with low carb tortillas...all of that makes the diet so much more do-able. I can sit and have low carb cereal with low carb milk now!!! So, in that way I don't feel deprived at all. When I first started with Atkins I started slowly because I would eat a tablespoon of this and that because I couldn't give up those foods completely and then eventually I didn't want it anymore. Now, I prefer mock mashed potatoes-(Cauliflower)-to potatoes because afterwards it doesn't make me feel sluggish but energized and I can still eat it with gravy and butter. This WOL makes me feel good and I like that.

It does take time for you to 'mourn' the loss of old foods and to realize that you won't be able to eat that way again, but after awhile you don't want to go back to it. Now, if I want something I will buy myself a low carb candy bar or eat some sliced zucchini slices with ranch dressing...instead of grabbing foods that made me hungrier a half an hour later and would add to my waistline...

Also, with Atkins you can cook lean meats if you prefer. I cook alot of turkey...turkey bacon, turkey sausages, ground turkey...because I have high blood pressure-(which is getting better with Atkins...pre-Atkins I had to have meds). There is room to modify the diet if you like.

My sister is doing her own version of South Beach and has lost alot of weight but everyone is different and I need the structure of Atkins, in the beginning I could not be trusted to self regulate.

I think the major differences with Atkins and South Beach is in the beginning of the diets and the emphasizes on low fat products/meats vs. higher fats. We do need fats for our body to maintain itself, there's good fats and bad fats and I do think both Atkins and South Beach stress that just in different ways.

Do what works for you that you know you can stick with for life.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Any diet will work, if you stick to it. The secret is selecting a diet that fits your lifestyle so that it's not so hard to stick to. ;-) Can you believe we've got 50 pages on this thread already?!?

Closed Thread