Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 03:23 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

PCOS, is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Symptoms of this condition can range from baldness, adult acne, skin tags-(darkening of the skin esp. around the neck area), weight gain-esp. around the middle section, hair growth in unusual places or on the face such as a little hair on the chin to a beard to a mustache, adominal pain or pain in the uterus, hormonal mood swings, cysts on the ovaries, irregular periods and infertility...there's more symptoms but I can't remember them-lol.

For me, I didn't know I had PCOS, but I had darkening of the neck along time ago...but so did my mother and sister so I didn't think much about it. But then I wasn't able to have more children and no doctor could tell me why...I went 6 months at a time without a period...and it wasn't until I got tired of the skin tags did I go to the doctor who told me that I had PCOS...it's been about 1 yr since I understood that I could control it-LOL! I just had the small little hairs on my chin that is annoying-(it's slowed down since LCing) and I had the irregular periods and infertility...I even went as far as having an ultrasound to find out if I had cysts or any problems because I had pain in my uterus...but they said I was normal so my problems with my periods were PCOS related. I'm now having regular periods since I started LCing and my skin tags are getting lighter.

If you'd like to find out more information check out the website listed above. The majority of the PCOS women are overweight...PCOS causes weight gain which suppresses the female hormone, estrogen...which causes testerone to increase which in turn interfers with periods and fertility.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

For Easter dinner -

I know we'll have ham, my family loves it. Usually I make scalloped potatoes, but since I'm the only one that really loves them, I might try something else. I know we'll have lots of veggies and angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream, and I can have the strawberries and cream.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Songberries...I keep hearing that Cauliflower is a great

way to substitute potatoes...I also read about Jicama that spanish veggie/fruit which can be used like potatoes...

also I've heard of a mock mac-n-cheese using tofu... I see Jicama at my grocery store everyday. I haven't use any of these ideals yet but I'm hoping too soon.

Here's a recipe for Scalloped Cauliflower found on Dylans Low carb website.

SCALLOPED CAULIFLOWER

1 bag frozen cauliflower
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
4 oz heavy cream
salt and pepper
1/4 cup butter
crumbled cooked bacon (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Run cool water over frozen cauliflower in collander to separate pieces. Spray large casserole dish with pam and layer 1/2 cauliflower on bottom. Season with salt and pepper, then layer with 1/2 onions and thinly sliced pats of butter. Add 1/2 cheese. Repeat layers. Pour cream over and bake 45 min. (Can add crumbled bacon 10 min before completion).

Serves 4 @ 6 carbs, 3 fiber (3 NET carbs), 456 Calories, 41 fat, 17 protein (bacon NOT included in counts)

I halved the recipe and only made one layer. I also precooked the cauliflower in the microwave 3 minutes before putting in casserole dish. This is wonderful.

Last edited by leasmom; 03-21-2004 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

SNL, stall and HUNGRY!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ajrsmom

Crowmommy, Have you found that SNL has stalled your weightloss at all? I am so bummed that we cant use Equal or its generic form).

Tami
I don't think SNL has anything to do w/ my stall .... The 1st week on Atkins I used Splenda; then in my 2nd week, I started using both SNL and Splenda. I lost lbs both weeks. It was beginning w/ my 3rd week that I stalled. I am now in the middle of my 5th week and I've not lost any more weight, but I'm still losing a few inches at a time. I haven't increased my carbs to more than 20G - but I've added back foods. Maybe I need to just take away those foods and go back to Induction foods also ....

I have been SOO hungry the last several days, but not early am. I can wait and have breakfast late, but after that, I just want to munch! I don't know if it's because Aunt Flo is due any day now or what!

Tonight we ended up going out to Chinese buffet with friends (sigh!). I tried to be strong, but I had a crab & cream cheese wonton and I also had chicken with a really sweet sauce . But, I kept away from the rice & noodles and I had snow crab legs.

Dh and I are going to the gym tomorrow. I'm going to try to use the eliptical machine thing - but I feel like such a dork on it!

Lisa
Old 03-21-2004, 06:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I just read that you can take turnips, slice them real thin and fry them in oil like potatoes and you wont know the difference. HHMMM....might give them a try!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-22-2004, 06:48 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

crowemommy, I hope you don't mind me saying...

That losing inches after induction happens...you go to maintenance so you start losing inches instead of pounds but you're fine as long as you're dropping inches. It gets hard to realize that the pounds aren't gonna drop off like they did in induction, but the reason you slow down the rate of weightloss is because your body needs to adjust itself. By losing slowly we stay healthy and give our bodies time to adjust to the new us..so you'll lose and then stall for awhile as your body regroups, and then you'll lose again etc.

Inches each day, each week equal pounds. I can be frustrating, I know...I keep looking at my stomach like...god I wish I could take a magic wand a whisk it away but it is getting smaller, though slowly and I am having progress in other areas...like around my middle with my new bras...the fact that shoes I had to wear 1 size bigger because my feet were SO FAT now are too big for me...the fact that I went upstairs, back down, and then up again last night without breathing heavily makes me feel great.

After induction it's inches and then you have ...what they call on Active Low Carber...a whoosh-(when it seems like you're not losing and suddenly you wake up having lost weight)... I am waiting for my second whoosh...and I'm gonna cut back on my carb intake...in phase II we're supposed to regulate our carbs ourselves and set a number in which we can still lose weight. I think I've surpassed my number and have self-stalled myself but I have lost inches so I'm happy-WOOHOO!!!

Also...if you're hungry you should eat. I have that same problem that I eat dinner and later go to bed and I wake up STARVING. What ya do is eat a late snack...something with protein like peanuts, hard boiled eggs, etc. and when you get up in the morning you won't be so hungry.

If you're hungry at other times throughout the day, that's a single to your body that you need to eat. You should have snacks in between your meals...have a salad, a hamburger, some tuna, a piece of cheese...

I wouldn't feel guilty about having eaten the sweet sauce and crab wonton...I think occasionally having a non-carb item isn't a problem...eventually we will add in more carbs...plus in my opinion if it helps you not to feel your missing out I would say eat a small piece of one but add those carbs in to your daily planner. Plus...you did good because the crab and cream cheese are low carb...the wonton wrapper is the one thats the problem. If dd has something I really want but want to stick to LCing, I ask her for a tineey itty bitty taste of it and then I leave it alone and stay satisfied with having a taste of it. That's kept me from eating a whole cupcake or something else I can't have!!!

Oh...and congrats on the excerise!!! I think excerising is a great way for us to feel like we're empowering ourselves, ya know...
Old 03-22-2004, 08:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Patrice - hmm, thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to try it! I did try the chicken stroganoff. Oh, my gosh, it was so good! I had it plain and the family ate it with noodles. I did add sliced mushrooms, because you always put mushrooms in stroganoff.

I'm down another 5 lbs! That makes 45 lbs in 2 weeks! Wow, now this is the way to start a diet!

Carol

Old 03-22-2004, 09:41 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Mushrooms!!!

Wow...great ideal...I'll do that the next time too.

And congrats on the weightloss!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Songberries

I'm down another 5 lbs! That makes 45 lbs in 2 weeks! Wow, now this is the way to start a diet!

Carol

Carol, Am I reading this right? Youve lost 45lbs in 2 weeks??

Tami

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 03-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I think that Ive seen the recipe for chicken stoganoff somewhere on here....will someone please point me to the right direction. Thats sounds like it would go over good with my family!!

Is salsa allowed on the induction phase?

Does anyone know of a good taco spice packet (or cheap to make homemade) that I can use?

Thanks!!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Closed Thread