Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 11-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Nine Year Member

Restarting Eating Primal

I have made a decision tonight that I need to restart eating the primal way as when I followed this way of eating I felt much better in myself, slimmer and best of all a lot less aches and pains.

So this evening I weighed myself and at 12 stones 5 lbs (173lbs) I am 3 - 4 stones oveweight (42 - 56lbs). Far too much for my frame.

So, I have dusted off my primal books and am ready to get back on track.

I thought I would start off a thread to help keep me accountable, if anyone wishes to join me that will be great.

Butterfly x
Old 11-23-2013, 04:59 AM
Nine Year Member

What is the primal way of eating? I assume meat, veggies, fruits no processed food or sugar.

I need to lose at least 30 lbs myself.

Roberta
Old 11-24-2013, 02:09 AM
Nine Year Member

Hello Roberta,

That's more or less it. The main thing for me is to exclude gluten grains from my diet as I have many bad effects when I eat such products. I usually eat meat, eggs, lower carb vegetables, nuts, mainly berries and a small clementine, together with a few nuts and seeds. I do also have full fat Greek yoghurt three times a week as I can eat this with no side effects.

I cleared this way of eating with my doctor first to ensure that this way of eating was appropriate for me personally. I believe that we are all different and need different types of food in different quantities. My husband requires more starch from sweet potatoes than I do, I feel fine from eating green vegetables.

I usually go with if I feel well and have good blood work figures from my 6 monthly doctor checks then I am on the right path.

I first heard of the primal way of eating from Mark Sisson's book 'the primal blueprint.' I have not had opportunity to finish reading the book yet.

Butterfly
Old 11-24-2013, 02:17 AM
Nine Year Member

Well, yesterday was fairly good eating wise although I automatically put Demerara sugar in my tea once without thinking. I have noticed that my muscles don't ache as much and I feel more positive in myself, wanting to put on perfume and make the effort to put my face on, as I call it!

So, today hubby is treating us to a cafe cooked English breakfast. A cooked English breakfast is an easy meal to have out as it is predominantly meat and egg. It can be harder to eat out at some places as everything is so bread or potato heavy.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Nine Year Member

Had a bad fibro flare yesterday, now I remember why I chose to eat primal. Anyway, have been doing ok eating wise as the thought of grains doesn't appeal when my joints ache so much and all my muscles feel inflamed. Even my eyeballs hurt!

So today, I had a banana blended in milk as a drink, cooked English breakfast for lunch, sausages with veggies for dinner.

Tomorrow, hopefully I will feel strong enough to cook healthier dinner of stew.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Butterfly, good luck! I definitely need to change my eating habits. I feel sluggish and tired all of the time. Unfortunately, I don't handle change well so I have to make changes slowly. I am starting out by giving up diet soda and switching from bagels to oatmeal for breakfast.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Nine Year Member

Hello Kathy

Lovely to see you, it's nice to have company.

Ugh, to feeling tired and sluggish all the time; it's a rotten feeling.

Slow changes sound a good idea as you can then more accurately pinpoint what is affecting you. I know for myself I need to write in a food journal so that I can see what are my trigger foods to body discomfort.

I used to like my porridge for breakfast but it no longer likes me.

I hope that you feel better very quickly.

For myself, the primal way of eating is right. I have not had stomach ache since Sunday, and my fibro symptoms are getting less severe. Lost 7lbs thus far which helps.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:08 AM
Nine Year Member

Realised that I recorded my weight incorrectly at the beginning! Started off at 175lbs and I am now 166lbs.

This morning I have had a small banana blended with soya milk and a teaspoon of cocoa, very nice!

Not too sure about drinking soya milk now. I need to carry out some research. I may return to drinking full fat organic cows milk instead?? Although not in my tea!

Will probably make myself a two egg omelette with onion and some mature english cheddar for lunch.

Dinner is currently undecided.

Made myself some chocolate walnut cake/biscuits yesterday evening which are interesting, shall we say. Definitely not a sweet biscuit but they do suffice.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Butterfly, congratulations on your weight loss! That is wonderful! I need to lose about 80 lbs which just sounds so overwhelming. I am not going to focus on losing weight as much as just getting healthier. The weight will come off eventually, probably not all 80 lbs, but any amount is better than where I am now. My feet, knees, hips and back always hurt and I know it's from all of the excess weight I'm carrying. Slow and steady will get me there!

Today is not going to be a good day eating-wise. DD1 and her husband are coming for dinner since they went to his family's for Thanksgiving. We'll be having a 2nd Thanksgiving dinner. I will definitely be conscious of portion sizes.

I'm going to try to get out and take a walk. The weather is lovely today.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:36 AM
Nine Year Member

Thanks Kathy.

I am with you on your idea of concentrating on getting healthier, everything else will naturally fall into place. I think a multi faceted approach is the best way, concentrating on eating the healthy way for your own body's requirements, coupled with fresh air, activities that you enjoy and a daily form of relaxation.

My newish doctor is so nice, and we love to discuss my eating plan, and it is my doctor who recommended I meditate. This is one area I still need to work on!

Your plans for today sound lovely. Seeing your family for fun & love, nature and exercise good for soul and spirit and good healthy home cooked food.

I empathise with you on your hurting joints.

If you're willing, perhaps we can motivate each other on the path ahead of us. If you would like this, but prefer to do this via the privacy of pm that is fine.

Take care,

Butterfly x