Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-11-2010, 03:16 AM
Head Moderator

Sugar Free and Low Carb Snacks

I am on a maintaining level at the momemt, no by choice, it is just there. I have really been reading a lot about sugar free and low carb snack foods. The one thing that really seems to get me is that those products cost so much more than "regular" foods, but lots of times only cut your carb intake slightly. Do you find that your sugar level doesn't stay within your limits or you carb intake too high with these type of foods? I am looking for some ideas of snack foods that could be carried for the summer in the heat, any ideas?

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life

Last edited by cat lover; 05-11-2010 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:34 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

For my nephew who is type 1 diabetic we would carry one of the following -
a juice box
Lance peanut butter or cheese filled crackers
goldfish crackers or pretzels
100 Calorie pack cookies
granola bars or cereal bars

The best thing to do is find out how may carbs you are to have at snack time and go from there. Elijah is to have 15 - 20, most granola bars are between 15 - 27 carbs.

The juice box is always carried in case of a low blood glucose.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:41 AM

Sugar Free Jello (or generic)

I like Krogers brand Sugar Free Jello.. just bought boxes yesterday for 39 cents each.

Anna
Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Watch "sugar free" junk foods like candy if you are watching your carbs. A lot of times the substitute sugars will hurt your weight loss. Do you know if Sweet n Low or Equal makes you plateau with weight loss? If either do, avoid those "sugar free" items altogether.

You can often find things sweetened with Splenda- things like hard candies, soda (Diet Rite), ice cream...etc. Rootbeer floats!! Diet rootbeer and low carb ice cream!! Great with Diet Rite Orange, too! YUM!!!!

Try some real fruit, especially berries. Flavored frozen water (think popsicles) are great.

Even sugar free popsicles, sweetened with Splenda are good.

One good tip is to ask yourself what you are really craving....is it something salty or sweet? Something chocolate? Go right to the craving instead of just grabbing something that will still leave you wanting more.

Try a handful of nuts, a spoonful of natural peanut butter (one of my favs!!) - I love low carb vanilla ice cream with a spoonful of natural peanut butter stirred into it.

Cheese is another good choice. Grab a cheese stick with some nuts.

Sliced cucumbers and low carb dip.

To me, though, nothing beats fresh fruit if you are in the maintenance plan.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

Another thing to watch is artificial sweetners such as sorbitol, maltitol, any that end with tol. They can cause diarrhea.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I think some of the sugar free cookies have that in it and it might explain why after my dh brought them home and I would steal a couple I would end up in the bathroom...the other problem I find is that some of this stuff has a really wierd after taste...You cn always check out the I believe American Diabetic Assoc...they list soom snackes...and other recipes...My dh is right now doing the wheat crackers with Peanut butter, but his sugar is no where close to being under control...and he is a type1 after lot of years being told he was a type2
Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Deb and coll,

I've set up a new thread about Dealing with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes. I moved your last few posts from this thread to the new one.

The info. is very helpful. Please continue the conversation if you would. Thanks!!

Here's the new link: http://www.familycorner.com/forums/w...-diabetes.html

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:22 AM
FamilyCorner Addict

Thanks Tami. Don't know why I didn't think of it.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Coll:

About 3 years ago his foot started to swell up...he came home early one day and said he had to go to the emergancy room, when I asked why he took his shoe off( apparently it did not help when I told him to soak his foot with a little clorox, he used about a 3rd of the bottle)...it had basically turned into a bloody mess...so he and my dd went to a min emergancy room...next thing I know is they are taking him to the regular hospital...he was there a week trying to get his sugar regulated...then a year later he foot started to crack and a hole started...by this time he was going to a clinic...so he was scheduled to go in that day...he went and looked at it, cleaned it and wrapped it, told him to put saline solution on it then an antibiotic, then a gauze pad soaked in saline and then I made a bootie out of the bed protector pads...he did not wear a shoe for at least a month...he had to go back every week but it worked...that was when they decided that he had to be a type 1...no problems with his feet since...
Old 03-22-2011, 12:10 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

Hmmm, makes me wonder about it though, saying he might be a type 1. I would really question it.
After my dads surgery he had to have something called a wound vac attached to his foot. That was one of the main reasons he stayed in the rehab for so long.
If he has any other health problems, keep a close eye on his bg levels. If they start to go up and stay up, get him back to the doctor immediately.