Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-26-2010, 04:18 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Congratulations!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Thank you so much!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

How is everyone today? I'm still hanging in there!

I need to get off this box and get going but since I've been unable to post for a day or so, I feel like I've missed so much.

We are expecting tomorrow evening. My kids are SO excited about that. We bought them new saucer sleds so they can't wait to try them out.

My dh wants to go shopping for weekend supplies today so that we will miss the craziness tomorrow.

Last night I had my first bad craving for something sweet. I mixed 2 oz of cream cheese with 2 tsp of natural peanut butter. I ate about 1/2 of it and that was enough to stop the cravings. I love Smuckers natural peanut butter so I stuck it in the back of the frig for those dire moments! Watch the ingredients in the pb if you buy it -- it should be pnuts an oil only, no added sugar!

I've been trying new recipes this week to keep from getting bored with the same old, same old. The recipes are on my blog.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami, congratulations for hanging in there. I wish my live would slow down and stress level was lower or I'd join you now! I am with you in spirit and will be physically joining you once things ever slow down.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Good evening all!!

Tami, congratulations on your weight loss, and start on a new life-style plan.

I have been on the South Beach diet since the beginning of October, and without any meds, have lost 23 lbs. I was just way overweight (still need to drop at least 80 more, maybe more to be my "ideal" self).

I was diagnosed with diabetes, high cholesterol, and hypothyroidism all at the same time. Then there was a time that the insurance company and the endochronologist were more concerned about who was going to blink first (Dr. - I don't fax or e-mail scripts; insur. co. - the scripts are illegible, and then there was the "we refuse to take scripts written by the P.A., only from the dr.").

Anyway, Saturday, I was able to start on the meds for all three new conditions (I already had high blood pressure meds and nexium for acid reflux due to a hiatial hernia). I wanted to start on a weekend in case there were any side-effects, I wouldn't have to deal with them during work. Years ago, I gave up most sodium.

I am not counting the carbs, or being unkind to myself at all. I do make sure I take 2 snacks each day, and eat them at the right times. I eat out once a week with my gf, and other than that, I cook generally. Tonight, was a treat because I made one of the steamfresh meals (high sodium, pasta and peas, and shrimp in alfredo sauce). I will have the rest for lunch tomorrow. I also had a huge salad with blue cheese dressing.

All of my mugs are 2 cups, and I have one mug of hot tea before I go to work, one when I get there, and 2 mugs of cold tea before I leave, and then another 2 cups of sugar-free (crystal light, wylers light, etc.) drink with dinner. And I only get up once in the middle of the night.

I have found those Pepperidge Farm sandwich rounds to be very useful and tasty also. I have had pork roll and cheese with a little mustard, peanut butter and a little butter (I don't like pb and j together), sugar free preserves (Smuckers, peach) and cream cheese; omelets with chopped spinach, sausage, oatmeal with applesauce in it, and baked oatmeal. I got a great loaf of artisan bread from Target (of all places!) and even had grilled cheese with that.

I like the idea that on the Southbeach Diet there is so much that you can switch in and out without compromising the diet itself. I love zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, celery, sweet onions, spinach, peppers, greenbeans, asparagus, and was already eating them.

I have been buying the 14-15 oz. cans of diced tomatoes with garlic and basil in them when they are on sale. For about $.70 I can have a great tomato soup. I can, if I want, put them in the cusinart and almost puree them. But I have been taking them plain, and just heating it in the microwave with a packet of splenda, and viola, a chunky tomato soup. I have added in bits of chopped up roast beef, whatever leftover veggies I might have, or just eaten it by itself. If you get the "no salt" ones, if they are on sale (not often), that is the added bonus. And I am making it a point to do this once a week at lunch.

I also make a lot of other soups. I have found that I can make a great soup using one bag of the mixed veggies. There are not enough corn and lima beans to really harm you, if you add in other veggies along with them (shredded zucchini is a favorite of mine). The zucchini if shredded "melts" into the soup, leaches it's own water and stretches the soup. You therefore get less of the high carb veggies in the soup, and get more servings out of it to also. You can also shred cabbage really fine and it will add bulk without "melting" the way zucchini does.

I found quinoa pasta in the grocery store too. It doesn't have the carbs that regular pasta has. It is just pretty expensive. So, for me, a little here and there (instead of pasta on a weekly basis) is ok.

Cabbage is another favorite of mine. I have a recipe that combines bacon, onions, cabbage and apples. I use 3 granny smith apples chopped to one head of cabbage (no matter how big that head is). The amounts are up to you. I just cook the bacon, then add in the chopped onions until they are translucent, then add in the chopped cabbage (doesn't matter how you cut it up), until it wilts and then add in the chopped apples until they are cooked through but not applesauce. This is good hot or at room temps, as a side or as the main course for lunch. This gets better the next day!!

Ladies, I better go for now. I have a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich waiting for me for my dessert this evening.

Take care all!! Norma

I was just at a funeral Monday, and was served cabbage that had been cooked with carrots (a fairly big no-no as far as carbs go, but a couple of chunks wasn't going to kill me) and sweet peppers (these were green). It was interesting.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Tami, congratulations on your weight loss, and start on a new life-style plan.
Thank you!

Quote:
I have been on the South Beach diet since the beginning of October, and without any meds, have lost 23 lbs. I was just way overweight (still need to drop at least 80 more, maybe more to be my "ideal" self).
That's awesome! When I decided to try low carbing to begin with, I started with the SB diet. It wasn't low enough on the carbs per day for me to lose weight. I needed something more strict. Some of their recipes are great.

Quote:
I was diagnosed with diabetes, high cholesterol, and hypothyroidism all at the same time. Then there was a time that the insurance company and the endochronologist were more concerned about who was going to blink first (Dr. - I don't fax or e-mail scripts; insur. co. - the scripts are illegible, and then there was the "we refuse to take scripts written by the P.A., only from the dr.").

Anyway, Saturday, I was able to start on the meds for all three new conditions (I already had high blood pressure meds and nexium for acid reflux due to a hiatial hernia). I wanted to start on a weekend in case there were any side-effects, I wouldn't have to deal with them during work. Years ago, I gave up most sodium.
I've dealt with the same problems with my docs and insurance company. It's so aggravating! I'm hypo thyroid, too. Are you taking Synthroid to control it? Having this problem really does affect ones ability to lose weight. Don't forget to get your bloodwork done every three to 6 months if you lose a lot of weight -- it could affect the dosage of your meds.

I'm forunate that I've never had high blood pressure problems to where I've needed meds. I did find out that I have to deal with low iron problems. I was borderline anemic right after I had my son. I was put on iron pills to regulate it. I've gone on and off of them for the last 12 yrs.

Quote:
I am not counting the carbs, or being unkind to myself at all. I do make sure I take 2 snacks each day, and eat them at the right times. I eat out once a week with my gf, and other than that, I cook generally. Tonight, was a treat because I made one of the steamfresh meals (high sodium, pasta and peas, and shrimp in alfredo sauce). I will have the rest for lunch tomorrow. I also had a huge salad with blue cheese dressing.

All of my mugs are 2 cups, and I have one mug of hot tea before I go to work, one when I get there, and 2 mugs of cold tea before I leave, and then another 2 cups of sugar-free (crystal light, wylers light, etc.) drink with dinner. And I only get up once in the middle of the night.

I have found those Pepperidge Farm sandwich rounds to be very useful and tasty also. I have had pork roll and cheese with a little mustard, peanut butter and a little butter (I don't like pb and j together), sugar free preserves (Smuckers, peach) and cream cheese; omelets with chopped spinach, sausage, oatmeal with applesauce in it, and baked oatmeal. I got a great loaf of artisan bread from Target (of all places!) and even had grilled cheese with that.

I like the idea that on the Southbeach Diet there is so much that you can switch in and out without compromising the diet itself. I love zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, celery, sweet onions, spinach, peppers, greenbeans, asparagus, and was already eating them.
It sounds like you have found a plan and created a way of cooking that works for you! That is the key to being successful when low carbing. Once you're on the plan long enough, you know what items will work, if you can get away with eating some foods (like carrots and tomatoes that are higher in carbs) and it won't make you stall. I can get away with eating tomatoes and some carrots without it bothering me. Some people can't because of the natural sugars in them. Onions are another problem for some people but they don't seem to bother me. I also love all of the veggies that you name. I cooked rutabagas and turnips for the first time the last time I was low carbing. I love them now! I just tried kale for the first time this week. I cooked it in a version of low carb wedding soup (recipe on my blog). It was delicious. I'm not afraid to buy a veggie and then look for ideas on how to cook it.

I went to the library to check out a couple of low carb cookbooks. I've been trying some new recipes this week. So far, I've loved the recipes that I've tried.

I need to work on drinking more water. I have a 3 C. glass that I drink water out of. I can get through the first glass no problem and sometimes the second glass...it's the 3rd glass and on that I have problems with. I love to drink hot decaf tea but I do find that I am always thirsty afterwards. Strange....
I have been buying the 14-15 oz. cans of diced tomatoes with garlic and basil in them when they are on sale. For about $.70 I can have a great tomato soup. I can, if I want, put them in the cusinart and almost puree them. But I have been taking them plain, and just heating it in the microwave with a packet of splenda, and viola, a chunky tomato soup. I have added in bits of chopped up roast beef, whatever leftover veggies I might have, or just eaten it by itself. If you get the "no salt" ones, if they are on sale (not often), that is the added bonus. And I am making it a point to do this once a week at lunch.

Quote:
Cabbage is another favorite of mine. I have a recipe that combines bacon, onions, cabbage and apples. I use 3 granny smith apples chopped to one head of cabbage (no matter how big that head is). The amounts are up to you. I just cook the bacon, then add in the chopped onions until they are translucent, then add in the chopped cabbage (doesn't matter how you cut it up), until it wilts and then add in the chopped apples until they are cooked through but not applesauce. This is good hot or at room temps, as a side or as the main course for lunch. This gets better the next day!!
I love cabbage! either steamed or in LC coleslaw or even sauerkraut. I can't think of adding apples to it -- I'm not one to mix fruits with other foods. The cabbage and carrots sound interesting.

Quote:
Ladies, I better go for now. I have a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich waiting for me for my dessert this evening.
Enjoy it!!

I hope that you will stay active here with us!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBora4BobbyL View Post
Tami, congratulations for hanging in there. I wish my live would slow down and stress level was lower or I'd join you now! I am with you in spirit and will be physically joining you once things ever slow down.
I'm hoping to be in it for the long run. I love that you come here and post with us! You are incredible that after all you are going through, you still have time to stop and post here.

I'll be here waiting for you when you are ready!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-29-2010, 03:42 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Good morning all!!

Tami, yes, you really have to work out what works best for you. About the tea, maybe you could have the hot tea and then drink a little water after it if you still feel thirsty.

On the onions, I have only met one onion recipe that didn't agree with me - BE creamed onions. I have an onion casserole that I love dearly too.

Yes, synthroid is one of the three new meds I have. I also have januvia (diabetes) and vytorin for the cholesterol.

I was told though that if I give up the dairy, the cholesterol will go down. I am not ready to do that yet. I gave up white rice, white potatoes and even most pasta. I have switched to brown rice, only sweet potatoes and pastas made with whole grains. Some low-fat cheeses are rubbery and don't melt properly, or have the right "mouth feel" to me.

I have a quite a way to go yet, before I have this down to a science. I am struggling just like everyone else. Some days are better than others. I had a handful of french fries with dinner the other night when I was out. But my burger was on rye instead of a roll, and I only had 1/2 of it. The rest was taken to work for lunch the next day.

Ladies, better go, and get lunch together, my snacks and get out the door.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 01-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I had to use all of my willpower today when I discovered the Milky Way has a new Caramel Milky Way out now. I bought one for my family to try. My husband and daughter said that it was great. OMG, I know that I would've loved it. None the less, I held strong and didn't give in.

<<< This is my kids' moods tonight. It's snowing here! We have about 1 1/2 inches right now but we are expecting sleet and ice tonight. Then tomorrow, more snow! I'm not thrilled but the kids are. Right now, there are college girls riding sleds and snow boards down the hill in our back yard. lol! Needless to say, they are a little drunk but it's pretty funny to watch.

I stocked up on food and things for the weekend in case the stores don't open. There was no one out. We went to Target and it was empty - only about 5 shoppers + us. I know that we will go out driving around tomorrow, if possible. I guess it's that Yankee thrill seeker in us.

Stay warm everyone! Check in and let me know how you're all doing!!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 01-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Head Moderator

Hello! I'm trying to hang in there with this 3 way diet! LOL

Doing pretty good, but at one of those stuck moments! I've been looking through my cookbooks for something to fix differnet. Fixed a baked apple french toast casserole for supper tonight. I can have one piece, because I subbed everywhere I could like splenda brown sugar, egg whites for the whole eggs (for my cholestreol), and I cut in half the topping ingredients as well as the sugar subs. I sure wish there was a way to accurately count the carbs, cholesterol, and all after all the subbing I do! lol Will freeze what DH doesn't eat as I am thinking this would be a nice quickie to pull out of the freezer one day.

I almost forgot! I found sugar free bread and butter chips and spears the other day! And they are yummy! The spears each only have 1 g carbs per spear! They are a Kroger brand, but I also saw somewhere the Mt. Olive brand and now I can't find them!

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life

Last edited by cat lover; 01-30-2010 at 10:01 AM.