Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

anyone low carbing?

I have read and done the Atkins before. Lost over 30 pounds. I haven't read The Zone. I have read Suzanne Sommers, more of food combining.

Does anyone have a favorite?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I started reading Atkins for Life last night.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I like the cleansing diets, they help you lose weight and get all the bad stuff out of you. My personal favorite is the master cleanse. the book i read was by Peter Glickman.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Of the ones you mentioned, I think Suzanne Somers' books are the best. The book that has the best diet and proper food combining is Fit for Life, written by a couple by the name of Diamond.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 03-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I think I have that book too. I will reread it. I liked thier website about five years ago, better than what they have now.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have done Atkins in the past and lost over 30 lbs.

I also have done the Fit for Life diet too.
They are both good.

I keep trying to get back to the Atkins diet, but seem to keep falling off the wagon.

I know I feel better when I'm eating right. But you know they say that the Atkins diet was bad for your health. But I happen to think it's the sugar and bread that's really bad for you.
I get stressed out too easy and then I reach for sugar.

Going to give it a good try again, starting today. Got to get healthy.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have heard the same thing. How can a diet of non starchy veggies, chicken, meat be bad? I agree with you it is the overeating of bread and sugar that is bad for us.

I am going to find some time today to read more of the book, then plan menus for the week. I will post them.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I did sugarbusters a few years ago and lost 35 lbs. I just started back on it Friday..hoping to lose soon!
Nancy
Old 12-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Head Moderator

anyone doing any type of low carb right now? I have been for about 1 year now and lost 60 pounds so far. Had to do it because doc said if I didn't change eating habits I would be a diabetic in 20 years. Been a real struggle at first because carbs is what we ate because of the no fat diet DH has to have. So I am still struggling at times between, no fat, no carbs, and low sodium! Always looking for new recipes!

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 12-13-2009, 04:39 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Goo mornign all!!

Cat Lover - I am doing the South Beach diet, because the dr. has just diagnosed me with diabetes, hypo-thyroid and high cholesterol. I have lost 18 lbs. so far, and seem to be at a holding pattern for the last couple of weeks.

I am not too concerned as it is the holidays, and I am not a real up-tight person. I have had one 1X1" cookie though, the whole season. I like cheesecake, just those 3 bites as directed, but I do include the crust.

I like baked/roasted chicken and turkey and they are my go-to foods. I also like most veggies, so the 30 that are listed on the low glycemic chart are fine by me. I am just not a fan of cauliflower, so I am skipping the mashed version also.

I also like the ability to have the flexibility that this diet gives. As your situation changes (dinner at home or at a friend's house or a restaurant) you eat according to the foods you like and those presented. I do stay away from Italian restaurants because they push the pasta dishes and charge extensively for the non-pasta ones.

Swapping quinoa pasta for regular has been a great help. I can make mac and cheese, pasta with sauce and sausage, even pasta salad that way. I no longer would use the pasta salad as the whole lunch as I used to - flesh it out with with a cucumber salad on the side.

These days we have so many more choices than when my grandmother was a diabetic in the 50's and 60's. Her diet was: 2 poached eggs and toast for breakfast, a scoop of cottage cheese and 1/2 a canned peach or pear for lunch, and a regular dinner.

Taking advantage of the choices and variety makes it easier than ever to manage the medical conditions, lose the weight and stick with it.

Take care all!! Norma