Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 12-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Way to go, Norma!! Keep up the good work! It sounds like you have lots of willpower!!!

I will be low carbing once again after the first of the year. I have gained so much after starting my cooking blog. I will have to make lifestyle changes, just have to for my health.

I don't agree that Atkins is bad for your health but that's JMO. I tried the South Beach Diet but it wasn't strict enough for me. I'm happy that it's working for you, Norma!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 12-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Head Moderator

Wow Norma, you are doing wonderful! I don't follow any of the "diets" I just can;t go over 225 carbs perday which works fine for me; lost 60 pounds in one year. More to go, but this way I don't have to totally deprive myself of anything, just change the way I eat and how much I can eat. The only problem I have had is I was told by the doctor to eat lots of protein and I told her that would get me in trouble and .... it did. Now my cholesterol is 199 and it never went over 120 before because we didn't eat meat or forms of it . So just another challenge!lol
I have changed again the way I cook and that has made a big improvement just more to come. Always on the lookout for new recipes!

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 12-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thumbs up I'm a Beacher...

I started with South Beach and then went to visit a nutritionist. The nutritionist meal plan very closely resembled the South Beach suggestions. The big difference was the protein intake. I have one of those slow metabolisms. So the whole goal here is to protect the muscle mass! My oldest son is a huge help with this stuff. Those weight lifting classes make it home and we lift together.

The trick for me is to find the balance. Everything in life is about that, isn't it? Finding the balance makes it all work.

Hang in there!!
Old 06-28-2014, 10:42 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Awesome Norma!

I don't like the word diet..it sets me up for failure.

When I started changing the Carb intakes a couple of years ago - doctor recommended for weight loss, I realized that if I am not walking regularly and drinking lots of free calorie (lots of fluids now label calories on their products) drinks, I certainly could NOT afford 40 + carbohydrates per serving from some of the prepared foods I was eating. The first couple of years I actually lost weight b/c I was a bit more active than I have been of late (other health concerns) and drank more of the free calorie drinks (Water, pre flavored coffees, teas, etc), and I don't drink as much soda or carbonated based drinks. I also do not drink allot of alcohol. I have / had a few frozen drinks in our garage freezer for months on end, and I have several bottles of blush (been storing most since 2008) and 1 bottle of red wine (it is actually alcohol free).

My total weight loss has been 30 pounds in 4 years - not significant for most people, I know, however I also am not on any RX form of digestible medication - other than Allegra -D (which stops me from having to carry an epi-pen). MY DH on the other hand is a walking medicine cabinet, and the weight he lost for the colon resection last year has pretty much come back - although it is not as visible weight as it once was (face and limbs aren't showing fat build-up), and he still can not put his very loose wedding band back on. He is also more active than I am (his health concerns are adjustable - mine require other measures).

The point is, is that what works for one person doesn't always work for another person. Finding the correct change is what is important. A friend and life guard I met a few years ago on the east coast was on a diet through a book she read, I think it was titled 'eating for your blood type. ' She mentioned that certain foods are better for certain other types of blood, and can help a person eat correctly to their bodies needs. She also said she lost about 50 pounds in the first 6 months, and then her body leveled out. Being a life guard means you don't always get allot of exercise - you have to make time before / after work, and sometimes during those hours you can be awake just enough to get to your destination relatively safely.

I still read the labels on the products I buy. For me it is finding a balance of 30 or less carbs, about 3 + grams of protein; 2 % or more Iron, and around 100 calories per serving, sometimes more if that is the only BIG meal I am having for the day (heat really stops my food intake, not the fluids).

Whatever you decide to do, and if you haven't already done so, check with a nutritionist /dietician to see what is best for your body needs. Your General Practitioner / R.N. / Insurance should be able to recommend one - even if all you do is chat for 10 minutes on the phone once a month or two.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 06-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I use a lot of quinoa in diff ways. Try not to use
White Rice but Brown instead. Wheat Bread versus white.
Lots of fruit and veggies