Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 02-22-2005, 04:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

debknechtel - I'm not a real big egg fan, but I love cottage cheese, so I always have some along with turkey bacon, turkey sausage or the regular bacon or sausage. I try to alternate to keep the fats down. Good luck!

Carol

PS, I'm down 165 pounds now!

Old 02-22-2005, 05:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Way to go Carol!!! Thanks for the tip I will have to go to the store and get some.

I did okay yesterday but it was harder than I thought. I am sure it will get easier over time just as the weight watchers was.

Tonight I have my martial arts weapons class for 1 hour so will be getting my excersise in. Not as much Cardio in this class but good strength training swinging a 6 ft staff around and my sais weigh about 3 pounds each so good for my arms.

Hope everyone elsse is doing well

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-22-2005, 05:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good morning all. I haven't been on in awhile. Three day week end and when DH is home I can't get near the computer with him doing all his homework.

There are custless quiche recipes that I use, still eggs but different. There are low carb cereals out on the market. And low carb milk. I treat myself every once in awhile. The milk barnd is Hood. Can't recall what brand the cereal is. There are also breakfast bars and those canned drinks like slim fast, now that I think about it slim fast has a low carb breakfast drink. And low carb bread that you can make low carb french toast, and even low carb syrup. If you want some recipes let me know I have tons.

Carol way to go.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Debbie - one of the benifits of eating cottage cheese is your skin looks younger. I can tell the difference in my face especially! My stomach looks much better than I thought it would too.

I've been eating a lot of sugar free jello lately. I love it with spenda sweetened whipped cream, or the light whipped cream in a can. Yum!

I found french vanilla de vince syrup in our Wal*Mart. It's on the coffee aisle. It's just the small bottle, but it's better than nothing.

Carol

Old 02-22-2005, 07:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

You guys are much better off in the states for low carb food.....we just got a brand of sauces that is low carb I think carb right is it's name other than that nothing yet. Canada has much stricter food and health laws and it is usually due to the wording on the package?? My dad used to sell meal replacement bars and it took a while to have them brought to Canada because they could not be considered a meal replacement here just an energy bar.

Cottage cheese will make my skin look better......I am up for that !!! How about looking younger???? LOL

Emmalee I would love the recipe for crustless Quiche. I love Quiche!! No one else does here but I could make them up and freeze them in single portions for me!!

Any other advice I would welcome or recipes that are tried and true.

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Debbie, here are some recipes that I use all the time. I am the only on low carb in my house so I freeze in sinlge portions.

Broc-shroom Quiche
Ingredients: 1/2 cup diced onion
a cup of brocolli flowerets (cut up pretty small)
1 cup minced fresh mushrooms
1 tbsp olive oil
5 eggs
10 oz Half&Half
1 and 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese

How To Prepare: saute left column in olive oil, (place in pie pan or glass oven ware sprayed with non stick spray - a 9x9 pyrex pan works real well and its easy to serve.)
beat eggs and add half and half and the cheese
season to taste, Pour on top of veggies and bake @ 350 40 minutes. Diced ham works well in this too.
Number of Servings: 4 -6
Carbs per serving (including complete nutritional information if known): 22 total

Cheeselover's Quiche
Ingredients: 1 small onion -- chopped
1/2 cup Swiss cheese -- cut in 1/2" cubes
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese -- cut in 1/2" cubes
1 cup cheddar cheese -- cut in 1/2" cubes
4 eggs
1 dash cayenne pepper -- optional
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 cup cooked ham -- cut in 1/2" cubes
How To Prepare: Heat oven to 375 F. Combine swiss, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, ham cubes and onion in a bowl. Add into a pie plate or quiche pan. In small bowl beat eggs, then add cayenne pepper. Pour into pie plate. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 for 23 to 30 minutes or until egg mixture is set in the center. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Carbs per serving (including complete nutritional information if known): 21g total

Crustless Quiche
Ingredients: 4 eggs -- beaten
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
5 green onion -- snipped with scissors
1/4 cup leeks -- thinly sliced
1/2 cup broccoli -- steamed or leftovers
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup cooked chicken -- ham or crabmeat
1 1/2 cups Swiss cheese -- Cheddar, or Monterey
How To Prepare: Preheat oven to 350*

In lg. bowl beat eggs, add cream, mix. Add all other ingredients and mix well. Pour egg mixture into a greased 9" or 10 " pie plate.
Place pie plate into a large baking dish and pour HOT water into the dish around the pie plate to a depth of 1 inch. Bake quiche in the oven for 40 min. or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Let stand for ten minutes.
Number of Servings: 4
Carbs per serving (including complete nutritional information if known): 5.05g

Old 02-22-2005, 08:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Emmalee

thanks so much They look so good....craving that all ready!!! I too am the only one who is doing low carb.......tried to convince hubby but no way he says!!! LOL Thanks again

Hugs Debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Dang hit the wrong button. I make all of those quiches. After awhile you don't miss the crust. Here is also one of my FAVORITES I mean I love this one.

Scalloped Cauliflower
Ingredients: 2 bags frozen cauliflower
1/2 small onion -- white, finely chopped
12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded -- finely shredded
1 cup heavy cream
salt and white pepper
1/4 cup butter
crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
How To Prepare: Preheat oven to 350?F.
Open frozen cauliflower bags one at a time into a collander and run cool water over each to separate the pieces and
slightly thaw, but don't use warm water.
Spray large casserole dish with Pam (or butter it well) and layer 1/2 (1 bag's contents) of cauliflower across bottom of dish.
Season with salt and pepper; then layer with bits of onion, thinly sliced "pats" of butter, and 1/2 of cheddar cheese. Repeat.
Pour cream over top and place dish in oven. If dish is very full, put a cookie sheet under it to prevent bubble-over in oven.
Bake 45 minutes. 10 min before completion, add crumbled bacon if you opt to. Bubbly and delicious - this will cure your
craving for scalloped potatoes!

Makes 10 Servings. 4 carbs per serving.

Julianna notes that she usually adds fresh, sliced mushrooms as well.
Number of Servings: 10
Carbs per serving (including complete nutritional information if known): 4

Blueberry Cheesecake
Ingredients: 32 ounces cream cheese
1 cup Splenda
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 teaspoon Fresh lemon juice

4 Eggs, plus 1 Egg yolk
3 tablespoons Sour cream
1 1/2 cups blueberries (see note)
? teaspoon nutmeg

How To Prepare: With an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and splenda at slow to medium speed, scraping sides often. Add all other ingredients except eggs. When completely mixed (with no lumps), add the eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating very slowly. When eggs are incorporated, stir in the blueberries by hand. Do not mix (with an electric mixer) any more. Over-mixing the eggs is a contributing cause of cracked cheesecakes. (The leading cause of cracking is over-cooking, so donⴠbelieve any one who tells you it is normal for a cheesecake to be cracked; it isn⴮) Always treat the batter gently.

Pour the mixture into the springform pan. Place the pan on a very large piece of aluminum foil, and fold the foil up around the pan to create a watertight barrier around the cheesecake. Then place the barrier pan in an even larger pan and fill the larger pan halfway with water. This is called a water bath. It is a gentler way to cook the cheesecake.

Place the entire water bath containing the cheesecake in a 300-degree preheated oven. Cook for 1 hour and reduce heat to 200 degrees for 1 more hour. Turn oven off and leave cheesecake in until the oven is completely cool. The cheesecake can even be left overnight at this point. Cracks can also occur when a cheesecake cools too quickly.

It may be beneficial to run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake, separating it from the sides of the pan. If your goal is to serve the cheesecake on a different dish without the bottom of the spring form pan, then the pan can be lined with parchment paper before the batter is poured in. Make sure to grease both sides of the paper. This will make for easy removal of the cheesecake later. It works best if the cheesecake has been refrigerated fully before trying to remove it from the bottom pan.

NOTE: If using frozen blueberries (which I did and they work fine), pat them dry with paper towels to remove the excess moisture.

Number of Servings: 12
Carbs per serving (including complete nutritional information if known): 7
YES YOU CAN EAT CHEESECAKE AND SOME FRUITS.

Basic Cheesecake
Ingredients: 32 ounces cream cheese
1 cup splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons sour cream
How To Prepare: With an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and splenda at slow to medium speed, scraping sides often. Add all other ingredients except eggs. When completely mixed (with no lumps), add the eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating very slowly. When eggs are incorporated, do not mix any more. Over-mixing the eggs is a contributing cause of cracked cheesecakes. (The leading cause of cracking is over-cooking, so donⴠbelieve any one who tells you it is normal for a cheesecake to be cracked; it isn⴮) Always treat the batter gently.

Pour the mixture into the springform pan. Place the pan on a very large piece of aluminum foil, and fold the foil up around the pan to create a watertight barrier around the cheesecake. Then place the barrier pan in an even larger pan and fill the larger pan halfway with water. This is called a water bath. It is a gentler way to cook the cheesecake.

Place the entire water bath containing the cheesecake in a 300-degree preheated oven. Cook for 1 hour and reduce heat to 200 degrees for 1 more hour. Turn oven off and leave cheesecake in until the oven is completely cool. The cheesecake can even be left overnight at this point. Cracks can also occur when a cheesecake cools too quickly.

It may be beneficial to run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake, separating it from the sides of the pan. If your goal is to serve the cheesecake on a different dish without the bottom of the spring form pan, then the pan can be lined with parchment paper before the batter is poured in. Make sure to grease both sides of the paper. This will make for easy removal of the cheesecake later. It works best if the cheesecake has been refrigerated fully before trying to remove it from the bottom pan.

Number of Servings: 12
Carbs per serving (including complete nutritional information if known): 5g
There is a start for you. If you tell me what you like I will look to see if i have more for you.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Emmjean - your scalloped cauliflower reminds me of one I came up with. I love funeral potatoes (that's what we call them in Utah) they are just like the potatoe dish they have at Cracker Barrel resturants. I make it and subsitute cauliflower. Mmm, yum, it's so good!

Cauliflower Casserole

2 heads cooked cauliflower (I steam it)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Spray a 9x13 pan with Pam. Spread cauliflower in pan. In a bowl mix soup, and sour cream, spread over caulifower. Sprinkle with cheese. Spray a piece of aluminum foil with Pam and cover pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

This is good with broccoli too.

Carol

Old 02-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Carol that sounds yummy. Do you know the carb count on it?