Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-13-2004, 06:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi Debbie! Welcome!!

I have been cleaning house this morning. Im ready to hop into the shower and take off to run some errands in a bit.

We are thinking of enrolling our son in some type of martial arts program. Ive read that its a good way to help teach self-discipline and respect to others---do you agree?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-13-2004, 06:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami

yes I do agree that it is a great method to help foster self discipline and respect.....that being said make sure you really research the clubs and forms of martial arts that are available to you. We are very fortunate to have an awsome Sensai who is very good with children. It is a very family oriented dojo where whole families do train together. His wife is active as are his 2 children. I can take the childs class if I would like to train with my kids. We have a no contact, as in no blows, at our dojo for sparring and self defense. We do wear protective gear but we are not out to kill each other. I have been to some clubs where it is very physical and I know that I am not ready for my kids to partake in that. My oldest son has been training 4 years and is a junior brown belt, he is 10. He helps teach classes now. It has been a wonderful experience for him to get up and have to teach everyone up front. It has built up his self confidence. My middle son is 8 and is a blue belt. It has done wonders for his self confidence. My daughter is 6 and is an orage belt and for her it has helped her control her bubbly personality, when that personality needs to be toned down!! Our sensai has a strict policy that if they use karate outside the dojo they will be suspended...he has never had to do that yet. They have also learned alot culturally. they can all count to 50 in japanese and say key phrases. They know all about things like tea ceremonies, respect, customs of japan etc..

Hope this helps some Tami!! Make sure your club is affliated too...all forms should have history to trace back to Okinawa to be official.Except i believe Sholin which would be Chinese. The federation we train under is the YKKF~ Yudansha Kobujitsu Karate-Doh Federation.

Hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-13-2004, 07:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ok just got done with my exersize routine. Still not used to it. But plan to stick to it. I need to get a timer. Still haven't got my pedometer. Maybe it will be easier next week.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The reunion was great - better than I expected. The agenda in the back of my mind was 3 hours of driving, followed by 4 hours of eating, and another 3 hours of driving. Well, I got so busy chatting with everyone, and chasing my 3 year old, that I really didn't eat much. After lunch, we had an "amazing race" type scavanger hunt. It's hard to say, but I think we walked between 1 and 2 miles. And -- our team won!

My 2 older boys took TaiKwanDoh (sp?) when they were 6 & 8 years old. They really learned control and discipline. It was so cool to watch them. Now the oldest is a U.S. Marine, and is still uses it in training.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Today went for a walk after supper...just short though as my martial arts class was intense last night ....45 min cardio and 45 min sparring. I'm a little stiff today so taking it easy. At least the weather is still nice though so nice to get out walking.

Have a good one
Hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-14-2004, 08:54 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

30 minutes on the Elliptical, baby! Which is good for me, when I started about a month ago I gave up after 5 minutes! It is hard! I still watch the clock from about a minute and forty seconds, but I did it! My legs are still burning. Then I did 30 minutes on the treadmill on a moderate pace, cause believe me, I was tired!!!

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 09-15-2004, 03:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Way to go Tasha!!!!

I di that at my Martial arts class the other night I was done after 5 minutes....boy how does time go so slow???

Keep it up

Hugs
Debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yep my weight bench is still there...
Dh used the treadmill making me look bad again. I did take the dog for a 45 min walk (or did he walk me?) and power walked through the mall while doing my machines. Candy bag is about 50#, so my arms do get kind of a workout too. At least I wasn't sedentary.

I'm publishing my goal here and now so that maybe I will take it seriously and accomplish it.
Tried to lose a few pounds for my reunion. Oops, its this weekend and the pds are still here.
Sooo now the date has been postponed. I have until Dec. 4 when we have a wedding to go to.
Help me stick to it OK?

**A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands**
Old 09-15-2004, 08:47 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

LJsmom, I feel your pain I have made made goals only to have them come and go... but my mom is getting married in January and my sis and I are co-maid of honor, and I have to wear a bridesmaids dress!!! After shopping just over a year ago when I could fit into exactly NONE of the floor model bridesmaid dresses, I REFUSE to go throught the humiliation again! I want to lose 20 lbs by January, I figure that is a good amount of time to actually have a chance at acheiving it. I have already lost 6 of the pounds, so that gives me a little more hope. Let's motivate each other and totally feel awesome when we are in front of all of those people!!!!!!!!!!

So today I did 30 minutes on the elliptical (on a HARD level!) and 15 on the treadmill. I am beat! I also took my daughter to her swimming lessons which are parent participation, so I swam a little. I need sleep!!! Oh, and the current # of steps on my pedometer? 10,472! Ten thousand puts me into the "very active"chategory! I have to say, I am really proud of myself. I have tried so many times, but I am working SO HARD this time, and I will not back down again! I will be healthy and proud of my body if it kills me (and it might!?

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 09-16-2004, 02:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tasha!!!You go girl!!!! Awsome that you have been doing your eliptical and treadmill almost daily~ 6 pounds gone yahoo!!! That is awsome. I do believe you will lose that 20 pounds by January!!!

Ljsmom a reunion was what motivated me to lose weight and being a bridesmais in a wedding!! I'm sure you can accomplish your goal too!!!Stay positive!!! A 45 min walk with the dog is awsome!!

I di not do much for exercise on Wednesday just up and down the stairs about 50 times!! Today I have martial arts class again and from what our Sensai said it will be a repeat of Monday!!! 45 min cardio and 45 min sparring. I'm still stiff from Monday night ...I may not nbe able to move by tomorrow!!!!

Hope all in Ivans path are okay and safe. thinking about you and praying for your safety

Hugs

Debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson