Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Healthy Living > Health & Fitness > Healthy Eating > Low-Carb Living

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
chuckle Living a Low-Carb Lifestyle---Welcome to our New Home!!

Hi Everyone

Hope to see all of you here real soon!!

Leasmom, The good thing is that you know that you dont want to continue on eating like that. Put it behind you and move forward.

You can do it!! You have been a terrific leader to all of us through this!!

If I lose 5 more lbs, Ill be half-way toward my ultimate goal. Although Im starting to like the way I look, this isnt fun anymore!!

I want so badly to throw in the towel but I cant....I wont!! It sounds so easy to hear people say "It only takes giving up one year of your life to get back to where you want to be then you can mellow out. " but this seems like the absolute longest year of my life!!

The dreary weather that we have been having doesnt help much either! BLAH!!

I havent been feeling too good the last 3 days--not sure if its a stomach virus or just sinus problems--so I havent gone to Curves. I have been doing my new walking tapes though!

We can do this!!!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Just stopping by to subscribe.

Hope you feel better Tami.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks

I made myself do my walking video now Im sitting here sweating so bad!! Im headed for the shower.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 08-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

QUOTE FROM AJRSMOM:
"Living a Low-Carb Lifestyle---Welcome to our New Home!!
Hi Everyone
Hope to see all of you here real soon!! "

OK, I found the new home.

Love with you've done with the place! I guess we were getting a little off the subject of Dinner Ideas, huh? I really like that you're calling it a lifestyle instead of a diet.

So, we've got a new thread, and a new commitment!

Let's go, girls!!
Old 08-19-2004, 12:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by VickiLynn

Love with you've done with the place! I guess we were getting a little off the subject of Dinner Ideas, huh? I really like that you're calling it a lifestyle instead of a diet.

Let's go, girls!! [/B]

Thought we could use a little re-decorating since everyone has made this a great place to visit! This way, we can add other threads on low-carb subjects too.

We started off in the recipes forum because we werent sure if the thread would even get any response---but look at us now!!

I left the LC dinner thread in case anyone wanted to add a dnner story there too!

Quote:
So, we've got a new thread, and a new commitment!

Yes we do!! Are you for meeting one of your goals by Christmas?

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 08-20-2004, 05:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Low Carb

I am reading "Low Carb Living for Dummies" - there seems to be a lot of good, basic information....anyone following this plan?
Old 08-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Gloria, I never heard of that plan. Can you give me some details?

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 08-20-2004, 06:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Low Carb Diet

Small Purple Hello, Friends~With the talk of low-carb dieting, I was reluctant to add my two cents worth, but, really feel it necessary....In the 70's I felt I needed to lose 30 lbs and since the Atkins diet was in vogue, that's what I did! The first few days I was checking my ketones constantly. When I began burning those ketones, I was elated. It didn't bother me that I smelled like a bottle of rubbing alcohol either. I was losing weight. YEAH!!!
Yeah, my foot. I didn't have the energy to walk, stand or get my breath. When I fixed breakfast I had to sit on a stool at my range because I didn't have the energy to stand. After a month of this insanity I had lost 25#, was sick at my stomach all the time and usually unable to crawl out of the bed. My life had come to a terrible standstill. But, I had lost the weight and looked half dead. Upon seeing my doctor I was diagnosed with a thyroid problem and hypertention. In 1980 my cancerous thyroid was removed. In the 90's other medical problems began then in 1999 I had a stroke that left my right side paralyzed.
My medical problems have been traced back to my low carb strenous dieting of the 70's....My advice to anyone.....see your primary care physician, exercise and eat sensibly AND leave low carb diets ALONE.
I think I'm still overweight and would like to lose down to a size 8. I am a size 12. But, I am happy and content with who I am now. If I lose weight--great! If not--it is ok. The important thing I try to eat healthy. Girls, please be careful with your dieting. You have so much at stake healthwise. Be sensible with what you eat and forget about your weight. With exercise and healthy eating, your pounds will disappear and your will still remain healthy.

GOD bless all of you and your loved ones.
GOD bless our Troops,
GOD bless America.

HelenGloria

Doulas MacArthur
Old 08-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have been on low carb since January and have never had so much energy in my life. When I was eating all those carbs I was always tired and I mean always. Playing with my kids wore me out. Now I have energy to spare. I have lost more weight then I ever had on low-cal, low-fat diets. I usually quit those after the first 2 or 3 weeks anyway. This is the longest I have ever gone. My doctor says so long as I don't cut out the carbs all together I am in better health then he has seen. I usually have 20 to 35 carbs a day. azny more then that and I can really feel the drain on my energy level. Thank you for your insight.

Goria to funny I just saw that book at the book store two days ago. But since I already have the Atkins book I didn't bother even to look at it.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi HelenGloria! Welcome to FamilyCorner

I feel that I must reply to your statement about living a low-carb lifestyle. Correct me if Im wrong but you were on the Atkins plan back when it was still new and not thoroughly researched. Not much was known about it.

Today, Low-carb diet plans are more thoroughly researched. A person's metabolism plays a big part in whether they can or cannot lose weight. In my case, I have a slow metabolism. Im also hypothyroid and have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). For almost my entire life, I have struggled with being overweight--most of my adult life I have been very overweight.

I am in full agreeance with you in saying that you should see a doctor to rule out any other health problems before starting a diet plan of any kind. I am seeing an endocrinologist. He is very supportive of me and firmly believes that they only way I will lose weight and keep it off is to cut WAY back on carbohydrates.

In the past, I have been on low-fat diets ---with success I might add but have never been able to keep the weight off and I still struggled with feeling sluggish and "just not right" all of the time.
It had nothing to do with not eating healthy or not exercising---I was walking 7 miles every other day and did aerobics on the off days.

I considered this my last ditch effort to lose weight. I started out on the South Beach Diet because it made the most sense to me. I shortly found out that this diet didnt restrict carbs enough for my body to notice. This is a perfectly safe diet plan--and yes, you still consume some carbs.

You will find that almost everything you eat contains a little bit of carbs. Its eating the "good" carbs that is important to maintaining a healthy body.

I went from the South Beach diet to the Atkins plan. If you read the book and look at the website, you will understand that you should never be hungry---this plan isnt about restricting food, its about restricting the wrong foods. A big misconception of many is that you can eat as much fat as you want on this plan. This is simply not true....and it is not healthy! Again, if you stay within the acceptable foods, you will be fine. No, you cannot eat a pound of bacon for breakfast, 3 hot dogs for lunch and a steak for dinner and think that you are doing the right thing. I takes common sense to make this work the right way. I get really upset when people give the Atkins plan a bad rap when they arent well-versed on what it is really all about.

All diet plans do not work for all people. You must do your research before starting any one plan. Im am living proof that the Atkins plan works. I started this the second week of March, 2004 and to date, I have lost 55 lbs and 34.75 inches ---Im also a member of Curves. I did strugle through the first 2 weeks of induction. I went through caffiene and sugar withdrawls. I lost 12 lbs during this time. Since then I have leveled off to approx. 2 lbs a week. I also have more energy than I can ever remember having since my childhood days.

The Atkins plan isnt only about lowering the carbs that you eat. It is also removing processed white flour, sugars and other additives that bog down the body.

One more thing that most people dont realize...... When you start living a low-carb lifestyle, you must remain and maintain on it on it for life OR you will find yourself back in the same boat with others who were let down when they "dieted" for a little while but failed to keep the weight off when they returned to their regular lifestyle.

How did they trace your medical problems back to your low-carb dieting? When you say this, are you referring to your thyroid? My medical conditions have done nothing but improve since starting this. I have my thyroid check every six months, along with other tests, including my cholesteral--which is 164--down from 190 before I started low-carbing.

I hope that I didnt offend you with my opinion but I wanted to add another outlook to this way of life.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Closed Thread