Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Tami,ajrsmom

Any insight on how to keep from slipping with the sugar thing. I am debating on which lifestyle change I can handle with a quick result so I don't give up hope. I really crave chocolate before period. I am 46 with neck injury so exercise is real limited without alot of pain.

I also have a friend that did the low carb(Atkins) and she looks horrible on how much weight she has lost. And no we are not jealous!, but her friends and I want to have her looking healthier. I think she was doing her carb intake at either 20 or 50 grams. I am not sure on which.

Alice
Old 08-21-2004, 06:39 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

ajrsmom, you've described low-carb-ing beautifully. Today's low carb plans mainly restrict bad carbs (those with empty calories, like sugar and starches), which everyone should be avoiding anyway.

Hello, dallasalice, I'm the same age as you, and on Southbeach. With my 40-something metabolism, I lost 12# the first 2 weeks. Since then, I've only been losing about 5-6# per month. It's slow going, but I feel great! Lots of energy!

It's not the end of the world if you slip occasionally, since, as Tami said, this is a lifetime commitment. I've decided to allow myself to have some real chocolate once a month. (It keeps me from killing my husband).
Old 08-21-2004, 06:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally posted by VickiLynn
I've decided to allow myself to have some real chocolate once a month. (It keeps me from killing my husband).

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-21-2004, 07:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi dallasalice!

Even if you dont want to use the Atkins plan in its entirety, I would recommend that you do the 2 weeks induction. I wont lie, this is usually very hard on people! It was so hard for me!! It really does help to rid your body of sugar and caffeine dependency. I held out for the first 2 months with no chocolate at all!!
Then I used unsweetened cocoa powder sweetened with Splenda after that..... I still dont eat regular chocolate----Im not saying that I will never eat it again though!! I love chocolate and once I reach my goal weight, I plan on having a piece now and then.

I must add that I take vitamins, an Iron pill (dr prescribed because I have a problem with low iron levels since the birth of my DD) and a calcium pill too. I also have to force myself to drink a lot of water!!

While I am on the Atkins plan due to my slow metabolism, you can try a more flexible approach to low-carbing to see if it works for you.

When all else fails and I really want chocolate.....there's always Blue Bunny Chocolate Almond LC icecream, LOL!!

Im sure others here can give you tips for sugar cravings too. Cant wait to hear them too!

Keep in touch!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 08-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

attn arjsmom

hi - it is called "Low Carb Dieting for Dummies" - basically it is low carb living - but not "no carb" - seems more balanced than Atkins for sure. It is about eating healthier foods - I am not done of the book but there is a lot of information about why, how, etc. etc. It seems like it will be a great resource as I am more interested in a good eating plan/lifestyle rather than a quick fix that will last for who knows how long. It explains the cons of low carb etc.
and how a balanced approach over the long haul is a better way to go. (I think the author reccommends around 100 carbs per day - from veggies, whole grain breads, fruits, nuts, seeds and the like)
I want to be healthy (I have about 25# to lose) and maintain a good weight for more than just "looks". Normally, I would get a book from the library and use it - but this one is a keeper as it has a lot of information that I know I will refer to again and again. When I finish the book (with lots of highlighting! - I will start the plan.) HOpe this is a help to you.

Last edited by Goria; 08-21-2004 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Everyone I know who is following a low-carb lifestyle is very satisfied with it - they feel healthier than ever and most have lost a noticeable amount of weight. My husband and I looked into it though and for people with kidney problems (my husband had a transplant last year) it can be dangerous. There was also something about lack of calcium in a low-carb lifestyle so it recommended taking calcium supplements. Most people I know are taking multivitamins and / or supplements of somekind. So before deciding to start this type of lifestyle I will be consulting my doctor.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

The Pretzel Blues

Wondering if you'll ever be able to eat pretzels again? While it's true that pretzels are made from unhealthy, refined flours, there's no reason why you can't enjoy them as a rare treat.

For many years, pretzels were an extremely popular low-fat snack. Many people saw the low-fat label as a license to eat as many pretzels as they wanted.

The problem is, pretzels are made from refined flours, which encourage cravings. Cravings lead to overeating and eventual weight gain. So, as with other refined flour foods, you're better off avoiding pretzels as much as possible.

I hate food cravings don't you?
Old 08-25-2004, 05:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I used to love pretzels. I tried one the other day and it was awful. It was just a little stick pretzel. But still I felt sick after eating it. I love eating vegetables now. My favorite recipe right now is scalloped cauliflower. It is just so good. Very hard to eat just one serving of it.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:24 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I was wondering why I hadn't gotten any notices

from ya'll, it was moved!!!

Oh well...I'm subscribing!
Old 08-26-2004, 09:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Leasmom!! Glad you found us here!

Im glad to see all of the new names here too!!

WELCOME!!!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Closed Thread