Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Welcome, razorback49.! There are different low-carb plans, so that makes it confusing. But all tell you to stay away from sugars and refined carbs (white bread, rice, pasta, potatos). Beyond that, they differ as to what is and is not allowed.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

That's what I was going to tell you. If you choose to be very strict with your low carbing I highly recommend choosing a style, then reading up on it and following it precisely, mainly because it is easy to get confused about what works and what doesn't, and both South Beach and Atkins plans really give you a lot of information on how they work health wise and how they will affect your body (constipation, plateaus, bad breath, they cover it all) and I think that is the best way to keep it as healthy as possible if you are drastically dropping carbs.
If you choose to just be carb sensible and do it yourself try this:
1. Only eat "Whole" Whole wheat, whole grain rice...you get the gist. Like VickiLynn said, no refined sugars and carbs, thses are really not good for anyone.
2. Eat plenty of veggies! You can find veggie carb values online, and not all veggies are created equal, but no low carb diet can be healthy without a foundation of veggies! Do your homework! Salad greens (the greener and leafier the better) are usually free and contribute to your all too crucial FIBER which you need tons of on a low carb diet.
3. If you are going to eat sweet, make it Splenda. Sugar is a no no and aspartame and other artificial sweeteners are super bad for you! Splenda tastes better anyway, and is better for you.
4. Water, water, and more water! Trust me on this one!
Think creatively. Making "crepes" from just eggs and cream got me through so much. You can pretend they are tortillas, pizza crusts...wraps and much much more.

Sorry, I was trying to do simple and instead skipped right over to babbling on! If you ever have questions you can PM me, I am not doing the strict low carb thing right now but I read everything I can get my hands on, so I can probably help you out some.

Good luck!

~*It's okay to fall down...it's just not okay to lie there!*~

Old 10-21-2004, 05:28 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hey that was good information, tashablueyes!

And I've been low carbing since January-LOL! Do you have that crepe recipe? I made crepes as a teen and haven't done it since but would love to try it again. Thanks!!!
Old 10-21-2004, 06:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

www.atkins.com has a lot of information on it. tashablueyes is right eat a lot of vegetalbes. They are really the key. I eat at least 2 salads a day. And don't believe the myth that all you can eat is meat and cheese. That simple is not true. I have found so many recipes online that use low carb vegetables that are as good or better then the recipes that are stuffed with carbs. I have been lowcarbing since January and I have never felt better. More energy and just generally feel better about myself.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:18 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for the website - I'm anxious to look and try to get these ideas written down so i will know better how to shop. Razorback49
Old 10-21-2004, 06:44 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I try to lead a fairly low carb lifestyle, but I don't ever really know if what I'm doing is effective. Glad to have some of these resources so I can hopefully incease my knowledge of what's going on.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Welcome WGDad, I have found that a lot of the recipes I use can be changed to low carb.
razorback49, your welcome. to be fair there is www.southbeach.com. I personaly follow Atkins. My body just doesn't like more then 40 carbs a day.
About the only thing I miss on Atkins is french fries. On Atkins if you canget through the first two weeks you can do the whole thing.

Old 10-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh gosh I had to share this with you all.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipe...p?product=3635

I made this tonight and you can not tell the difference. It was so yummy.

Old 10-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi Everyone!!

Boy, Ive missed talking to all of you! Hi to all of the new comers too!

I have been dealing with some pretty heavy issues at my house for the past couple of weeks. In return, I havent stayed on this plan. I miss having all of the energy that I used to have. I've been feeling so miserable and been complaining to my husband that I need to get back to talking with all of you every day. You really dont know how much all of your support means to me!!

I've put it back into my head that Im going to reach my goal weight---Im hoping by March. I have to start somewhere so Im back at the beginning taking baby steps.

I would like to join in on losing 3 lbs by Halloween!! How is everyone doing with this challenge? I hopped on the scale today and it said 229--I've been up and down so much lately!

Many thanks to everyone for posting all of the great tips! There is some really great advice in the previous posts!!

Water, Water, Water......Im back to that again......

WE CAN DO THIS!!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

WOW, where is that DREAMFIELD PRODUCT AT???

That looks so good!!! I think I saw that in Colorado but not since moving back to Tennessee.

I did buy some Russell Stover's Low carb candy today because at work they pass out candy to us all. I have eaten just a few of the candies that I thought wouldn't effect me too badly like the hard candies and saved the rest for dd. So, I got my low carb candy so I wouldn't feel left out. A co-worker of mine was tired of me talking about wanting Low carb candy so she went and bought me those low-calorie snacks, the ones that are portioned controlled. They are like 18 carbs per pack, I appreciated the thought and even ate some. I will pay for it later I'm sure but that was nice of her. I went and got me some Low carb cookies, low carb doritoes and yogurt etc. I also got low carb milk and chocolate milk. Its all junk but I just need to limit myself to one a day or something, but it's gonna be hard esp. since everyone else is eating JUNK and they're passing out junk to us all.

I did have pork rinds-(they weren't very good). I also got some stuff to pack my lunches and got some Sara Lee bread as well. I don't have time to cook now. I have to do low carb on the go...

Tomorrow I'm treating the same co-worker to lunch because she took me and I got a low carb burger and so I'm taking her and we're going to Hardees and I'm getting their low carb burger.

Closed Thread