States That Offer Tax Free Week or Tax Free Weekends

• Those who live in or near states that offer a tax free week (or weekend) can save considerably by planning their annual back-to-school shopping and large purchases around those dates. Click the name of your state below to find out when the tax-free shopping days are scheduled, and which items will qualify for the savings.

States That Offer Tax Free Week or Tax Free Weekends:

Alabama
    Connecticut
    Florida
    Georgia
    Iowa
    Maryland
    Missouri
    New Mexico
    New York
    North Carolina
    Oklahoma
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Vermont
    Virginia
    Washington D.C.

printed from About .com. See full article:
    http://singleparents.about.com/od/cu...reeHoliday.htm
  • Pair your tax savings with the tips from these back to school articles on FC, and you should be well on your way to saving money!

Buying School Clothes for Less

10 Ways to Save on School Gear

Dress Your Child for Less

and more....

all back to school articles on FC
  • Cool list! Not in my state, but I'm sure some people here will get to save!
  • I do live in one of the states on the list and the tax-free weekend is this weekend.
    In the past I have taken advantage of the weekend, but it depends on how it fits into my schedule. Since I only live 40 mi. from the MN border (no tax on clothing in MN everyday) and I shop in some MN stores regularly, the tax-free weekend really isn't that big of a deal.
    There are things that do not qualify(at least in the past) as tax-free items such as clothing that is considered as sport equipment(certain types of shoes).
    I really wish school supplies would be included in the tax-free, but they aren't.
  • They are gearing up around here in NC for the big event.

I'm happy to say that I am finished with my son's stuff except for some undies and socks and a few school supplies - which I'm going to try to pick up this weekend.

I have over 1/2 over my DD's shopping done, too. She doesn't have a school supply list yet, just a backpack and we've already bought it.

I've never really bought that much during the tax free weekend.
  • Starts today in many areas!

Good Luck out there... it could be dangerous with all of those crazy shoppers!!
  • NH doesn't have sales tax but Maine does and it wasn't on the list! Glad others will get the savings though.