Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Local & Regional Forums Looking for people in your neck of the woods? Or maybe you are going to visit another area and need some help from the locals? Check it out!

Old 06-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sunshine

They were there for 3 weeks and the only way I'll be able to go would be if we could afford tickets for a boat. My Dr. won't give her OK for me to take a plane. The New Zealand connection started back when I was in the 8th grade, I started writing to a pen pal (Phil), when he got married his lovely wife (Mary), took up the pen and became an even better pen pal. We've been corresponding for over 40 years now. Their son, Kelly, has been over twice to visit us and plans on coming back over sometime next year. Anyway, their oldest daughter was having her second wedding back in February and she wanted us to come. Since I couldn't go, my dh and dd went in my place. It wasn't the same as me being there but with the pictures and videos it really helped. And yes, there were a lot of mixed emotions when they boarded the plane, I was happy and envious and the same time. They brought me back many pictures a few souviners, and lots of hugs.
Old 06-17-2002, 04:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Dear Ladyinmaille,

What a lovely story about how your acquaintance began as penpals and developed into such a wonderful friendship over the years! I'm sure everyone felt badly that you couldn't go to New Zealand for their daughter's wedding. At least you have the photos and videos as you say.

Maureen
Old 06-17-2002, 03:48 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sunshine

Yes, happy emotions and sad emotions but it just brought us closer having dh and dd there. And the videos really helped. I love photos, taking pictures is one of my hobbies, but the videos where I could hear them talking. What a treat......
Old 06-18-2002, 01:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The U.S.A.

Hi ladyinmaille,

Yes, those photos and videos will always be treasured by you.

So, how long have you lived in Indiana? You mentioned you have lived in a few different states. Which ones?

The only state I've lived in is Minnesota. I've visited a lot of different ones though, like most of the New England states and I've been to Wisconsin and Michigan so I was close to Indiana but didn't actually visit your state. I've also been to N.Dakota, S.Dakaota, Iowa and Nebraska, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. Three yeas ago , we took a trip to Disney World in Florida.

Now that I mentioned Colorado, aren't those fires terrible? Yes, they are in the news here too.

Bye for now.
Maureen
Old 06-18-2002, 03:59 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sunshine

Was born and raised in Indiana but when dh was in the service, I also lived in New Jersey, Kansas, and North Carolina. My dh and I have visited a lot of states. Have been to South Dakota a couple of times. DH likes to go out there and attend the Varmint Hunters Association in July of every year. We don't go every year. Don't want him to have too much fun. I've been to Wyoming a couple of times, once with my folks and once with my dh on the aspencade. For our 25th wedding anniversary we took 3 weeks vacation and went to the Rockies and other places and drove the motorcycle. We've had the cycle over the Blue Ridge Parkway, been through the Smokies and to the Ozarks. I love the mountains on the back of the cycle. I went to Nebraska in High School for a convention and went to New York City and Washington, D.C. in high school. I would like to see the Grand Canyon and the big trees in California before I call it quits. I've been to Florida, Georgia, North and South Carolina, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Montana, Nebraska, been up in Canada 2 or 3 times, been to Niagra Falls. Been to Kentucky, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, I know I'm missing states. Been North, South and East. Need to concentrate on West now. Oh, yes, Colorado, loved the state in spite of the fact I had a headache because of the altitude the whole time we were there We took the train to Colorado, because I'd never been on a train, then rented a car and toured the state, then rode the train back. I loved riding the train. And I really loved Colorado except for the headache.
Gosh, been rattling on too long. The fires are very bad in Colorado and we had an earthquake in Southern Indiana today. Very scary. Next time I'll tell you good things about Indiana ifn I don't get started up about the wonders of all the other states first.
Old 06-18-2002, 04:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The news about the fires is incredible and so tragic.
I've lived in Tulsa all my life but I've been lucky enough to have visited 12 states and hope to go visit Indiana with my hubby. He had lived in Valporaso and Gary before moving here

Old 06-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

BLTN_Mom

Cool, I've been to Valporaso. Its a quaint little town we go through on our way to the Ren Festival in Bristol, WI. I'm pretty sure I've been to Gary, too, just don't remember it like I do Valpo. I always loved that name, Valporaso.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

ladyinmaille,

Wow! You've seen just about the whole country it seems like!

How bad was the earthquake? It must have been very frightening. I've never experienced an earthquake and I hope I never will.

The worst thing we get here in Britain are floods and even then we don't live in the areas that are always hit the worst. It's nice not to have to worry about blizzards or tornados. (or mosquitoes!)
Old 06-19-2002, 03:09 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sunshine

The earthquake was 5.1. No damage or death that I know of. No earthquakes over there, no tornados, no blizzards and no mosquitos? What do you do for excitement. LOL Keep it up and I'll be packing my bags and heading over there.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

LOL. It does sound good here, doesn't it? The drawback is all the rain. Sometimes, we go for weeks without sunshine. Also, with all that rain, we get an abundance of slugs and snails in the garden. Yuck! Mind you, the grass is green all year round, and there is always something blooming in the garden.