Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Local & Regional Forums Looking for people in your neck of the woods? Or maybe you are going to visit another area and need some help from the locals? Check it out!

Old 07-22-2003, 06:42 AM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Locks of Love

How wonderful to donate hair for the Locks of Love. My daughter's hair is over 12 inches long and she is going to donate her hair to that organization. She hasn't permed or colored it or anything so it will be in good shape to donate.

Glad to hear that you are well. I am puttering along. Take care. Hugs, Linda
Old 08-18-2003, 10:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello,
Anybody still here, This is August almost September!
Hello,
Anybody here?????
It seemed to quit in July.
Anyone from Midwest still on here? Thanks!
God Bless you all
Carol
Old 10-07-2003, 12:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

You'll find my dear we are here and there but it may take a little time for us to get back here. Thank you for strolling by our garden gate; leave a note for a later confab . . .

Old 11-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Cheryl, I'll leave this note on your gate, beings how it has been much later. Come back and confab......
Old 11-28-2004, 02:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

*Comes back and sees note*

I'm here! I've missed this place but I've been as busy as a cat covering you-know-what on a marble floor!

Old 11-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

yeah, it is starting again..... so besides being a midwesterner or not, what else can we ("notice").

Do you notice......that every time a space shuttle goes up, that the weather turns bad?
Old 12-05-2004, 01:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The weather only goes bad during a two week period during January/February and that is when we lose shuttles. Since no shuttles have gone up since 2-1-2003 we can't blame the weather on them . . .

Old 12-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well, I am a newbie here. I you have been gone for a while. Do you notice anything different than when you were here before?
Old 03-02-2015, 08:50 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
Well, I waved goodbye to Gavin this morning and he was so excited that he wasn't even looking when the coach (bus) pulled away! All of us moms (and a few dads) were standing there looking miserable and very sad as our precious sons or daughters went away. I know it's only four days but I'm going to miss him so much!! I'm sure he will have fun though and I'm looking forward to hearing him tell me every little detail.

I thought you ladies might need the translation when I shared the list of items they needed to bring. It's amazing how many differences there are in American/English and English/English!! I still get confused sometimes! LOL The "jumper" one always makes me smile even after all these years. Like all Americans, I picture a sleeveless dress with a blouse and so it still makes me smile when Gavin or Stuart talk about putting on a jumper!

There are many different confusing words here like that. For instance on the subject of clothes, there are a lot of differences. A vest here is an undershirt whereas what we Americans call a vest is a waistcoat to the British. Here, pants are called trousers and underwear are called pants (for boys). The girls wear knickers. Tennis shoes or sneakers are called trainers. Oh and what Americans call a jumper, the English call a pinafore dress! A scarf is also called a muffler. (the muffler on the car is a silencer) oh and baby stuff had me perplexed for quite a while let me tell you. A diaper is a nappy, a pacifier is a dummy, a nipple on a bottle is a teat (!), a buggy is a pram, a stroller is a pushchair unless it's an umbrella fold up one and then that's called a buggy!

Even simple things can cause confusion. I used to help in the school when the boys were younger and I was corrected by the teacher when I told a child to remember to put a period on the end of a sentence. Wrong! They say "full-stop" here for a period! And they call substitute teachers, supply teachers. The principal is called the headteacher, the vice principal is called the deputy head.

I could go on and on. I bet you thought they spoke English here!

Oh, thought of another one. Two weeks is called a fortnight-which is old english for fourteen nights!!

Bye for now
And a crib is called a cot. I'd be lost if I were to try and settle in the UK!