Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Local & Regional Forums Looking for people in your neck of the woods? Or maybe you are going to visit another area and need some help from the locals? Check it out!

Old 10-27-2002, 06:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Peanut butter cookies

Yummy! I think I can smell them over here Now I feel like baking some cookies. Gavin and Stuart want me to make brownies though so that's what it will be.

Bye for now.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Question Somebody mention PB cookies ?

Sean has been sick and not able to sleep very well hence Mom hasn't been able to sleep either but he is on the mend and I've had a nap or two . . . Oh yeah . . . Sean Connery is my favorite Bond and I wanted an Irish name for my boy but I didn't realize the other connection!
Getting ready for Sean's 2nd birthday. We'll have a small group of family and adopted family at Ryan's to help celebrate. This is his third Christmas coming up and got a pre-lit tree on sale. Set it up to check out the lights and Sean ran at first, then came and stood in awe of the tree. Wait 'til we get all the ornaments on it and then set the tree stand to turning . . .
Peanutbutter cookies? Love'em just it seems that not all the batter makes it to the oven . . . both hubby and I love cookie dough !
You are doing the right thing when it comes to storms. I have my fraidy hole in the bathroom stocked with a fireproof box to hold inportant papers and mad money. I keep a flashlight there and a portable radio and map. My pantry is the old linen closet so I keep bottled water, a can opener, paper cups and plates, and utensils in it. They don't call this place "Tornado Alley" for nothing. I've had three tornadoes hit within 2 miles of the house I grew up in. Whenever the weather is clear they test the tornado sirens at noon; I believe we have good coverage by the weathermen here and we can watch it on radar too. . .
Have had a cold rain the past 4 out of 5 days but should be clear tomorrow . . .
Just call me bookworm and my favorite subjects were Choir, Geometry and Algebra!
I liked Richard Harris ! I first saw him in "A Man Called Horse".

Old 10-28-2002, 01:32 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

BLTN_Mom

Oh, dear, I'm a cookie dough eater, too. Although they say you shouldn't because of the raw eggs. But what do they know? Some day they may change their minds and say all eggs should be eaten raw. The cookies are almost all gone. There's just something about a fresh peanut butter cookie. Ummmmmm. I hadn't baked in a long time. Hubby seemed to think I was buttering him up for something. Hmmm Must have used that trick one too many times. lol

Sorry to hear the wee one wasn't well. It's just the pits when your kids are sick. I know I'd always rather it be me than one of the kids. It really stinks when they can't tell you what hurts and you have to guess what to do for them.

Wow, that's great that you excelled in math. My hubby can understand it but it is truly all Greek to me. I truly do admire someone that can grasp the concepts.

I have a flashlight, bottled water, and a radio in my little closet, too. We were out camping one time and had 3 tornados ragging around us. It wouldn't have done us any good to get in the car and drive because they were in every direction we could go. So we just battened down the hatches, said our prayers, cried and clung to each other (my hubby and I). He didn't cry but he did the rest of the stuff. What was even worse was my grandkids were in another tent just a few feet away from us with my son and daughter in law. Hubby and I've been camping several times since then and taken the grandkids but the son and daughter in law have yet to camp since then.

Gotta go rustle up something for supper. Take care everybody.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Nine die as gales batter Britain

That was a headline today in The Times newspaper. It wasn't a tornado but it sure was quite a storm! To quote from the article: "Winds of up to 96mph shut down road and rail networks and thousands of homes were left without electricity after power lines came down." Sporting events were cancelled, theme parks were closed. A cross channel ferry was blown off course and struck the Royal Navy's newest warship and damaged it. Flights were cancelled and some bridges were closed.

What a difference a day makes. Today, the sun was shining and it was a gorgeous day. The house was very quiet with the boys back to school.

BLTN Mom, I'm sorry to hear Sean has been sick. I hope he feels better soon.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:11 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh my goodness, that was a storm

Geeze zow. That was some storm. I am glad that you weren't out in it. Mother nature can drum up some doozies can't she?

I bet the quiet in the house was almost unbearable today what with the boys back in school. Ok, now that its quiet again, are you working on your writing? lol You know I'm gonna bug you until you get started don't ya?

Gotta go rustle up some supper. Take care. Hugs, Linda
Old 10-29-2002, 01:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Linda,

Yes, I'm glad we didn't have to go out anywhere on Sunday. Some people are very reckless. Most of the deaths in the storm were people out walking and struck by falling trees. I can't imagine going out for a walk in that storm! There was one lucky escape by the seaside when a family were playing "dare" with the giant waves on a jetty. Foolish or what?!! The mother and father "played" with their six year old daughter and three year old son as the waves were crashing in and as they turned to run away from the waves each time, there was a moment when the six year old slipped and fell over the edge of the jetty. Her father had to quckly jump in and rescue her before the next wave dragged her out to sea. There were photos of the whole dramatic incident "splashed" (sorry I couldn't resist that pun!) in all the papers yesterday. The photographer was only 50 yards away and just kept snapping. Funny that no one questioned why the photographer was out walking by the seaside in a violent storm.

Ahh, writing! I had a feeling you might ask me about that! LOL I am pleased to say that I did start a bit! I'm working on an article to submit to a magazine. Thanks for checking up on me, Coach! I need a push sometimes and I know I can count on you!

Take care. Hugs back to you.
Maureeen
Old 10-30-2002, 04:12 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sunshine

You've started your article. I'm so proud of you. This will be fun. Well, might be a little work on your part but fun for me.

I liked the "splashed" pun. But sometimes my humor is a little warped. I can't believe people would take their children out in that mess. They should be shot. Or at least have their heads held under water for a bit. If they were trying to teach their children not to be afraid of storms I don't think they suceeded. They probably won't be able to get the 6 year old to even take a bath after that. I heard somebody say that they wouldn't take a shower because they didn't know which was the deep end. I still laugh over that.

Tonight the kids are trick or treating. My schnauzers don't like all the activity. The kids are so cute. I can see my front door from the puter so I get to see them when they come to the door. Bob is handing out the treats. I guess we girls are gonna dress when we go into work tomorrow (in costumes, I mean) lol Gonna wear my other ren outfit (the one that doesn't involve the chainmaille). I did wear my chainmaille to work one day, under my other clothes, because the girls wanted to see what it looked like.

Well, its getting on to my bedtime. Take care of yourself. Hugs, Linda
Old 10-31-2002, 01:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

ladyinmaille

Hi Linda,

Happy Halloween! You always have a costume ready don't you with your ren. outfits?! They don't celebrate Halloween much at all here in England. In fact, most people frown on the whole thing and mutter about the way it's just a silly American custom (Trick or treating) and it's a way to teach your children that it's okay to go out and "beg". The churches here also tell people it's a pagan custom and don't condone it. Jeeez! Talk about spoil sports! There are hardly any kids out on Halloween and most years I'm lucky if I get about 10 children for the whole night. Last year, we only got 6 kids at our door!

I do think though that with so many dangers to kids that a lot of parents are reluctant to let their kids go door to door. Parties seem to be the accepted altenative.

Gavin is dressing up as Harry Potter (he has the robe and the glasses) but rather than go out, he wants to stay indoors and hand out the candy to the kids. He likes to see what they are wearing and then he can show off his costume! The funny thing is that everyone is always telling him that he looks like HP!!

Yes, I'm rather proud of myself for finally sitting down and starting my writing. I've been busy with it each day and I'm really enjoying it. I finished the article and now I'm working on a short story. I've nearly finished that. I already have an idea for another story. It seems like now that I've finally started that the ideas and the words are just flooding out!! Thanks for your encouragement and support, Linda!!

Yes, I feel for your dogs. I always think certain holidays must be a nightmare for animals. Halloween with doorbells ringing and kids shouting "Trick or Treat" and the 4th of July with fireworks. There are fireworks here on November 5th to celebrate Guy Fawkes. Mind you, a lot of people are already lighting fireworks so we've had some nearly every night for the past week or so.

Take care. Hugs to you.
Maureen

Happy Halloween!
Old 10-31-2002, 02:11 AM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Halloween

Yes, when I was a child, we could go to any house and trick or treat and not be afraid. Now a days, my grandkids only go to houses of people they know or to parties. What really irks me is we live in the Midwest, the heart of the country. If our kids have to be worried, I can't imagine what the kids in the big cities feel like.

When I was younger, I always dressed up as the bride of frankenstein and I'd answer the door. The first year some of the kids were scared. The next year, they'd say, "Oh, that's just Linda" I used to work in a Haunted House they had here in town. So much fun. I've got a really good scream.

Sunshine, when I read what you've done so far, I got goosebumps. Whatever you do, do not give up. If the first article doesn't get published, try the next and the next. Sooner or later someone is gonna realize that you have stories to tell and that they have merit. If nothing else you will teach your sons to appreciate art because to me a story is art. It's someone writing a picture instead of painting it.

Gotta get ready for work. Just wanted to drop a note before I get in my "Halloween mode". LOL Take care. Hugs, Linda
Old 10-31-2002, 08:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

A Perfect Day

Hi LInda,

Today was a perfect day. This morning after waving goodbye to my husband and my sons, I closed the door and sat down to finish writing my short story. I actually finished it! It's a rough draft but it's done! I'm so pleased with myself.

Then I sat at the computer with a mug of tea on the side and got swept away from my own little world here while I checked into FamilyCorner and then another forum, I enjoy, the one for American expats living in the UK. I really had a fun time. Two hours later (yes, really!) I realized I had to get some things done.

I washed up breakfast dishes (we don't have a dishwasher-I'm it!) and straightened up the house. Then I sat and made out a short shopping list while I had my lunch. I walked into town and marvelled at the warm weather. It had been raining on and off all morning but when I left the house, the sun was out and I actually got too warm with my fleece on! (the high was predicted to be 57f but I think it got above 60f)

Anyway, I went to the newsagents first and looked at magazines. I bought a selection (four different ones) so I can get the details about submitting my short story. Then, I went to the grocery store. As usual, I saw people I know there. Today it was 3 different people. I'm still amazed how small this town is!!

As I walked home, I was thinking how much I enjoy living here and how lucky I am to be here. I really think my life is nearly perfect. It's during moments like these that I realize I feel happy here and the homesickness I suffer from sometimes is a distant memory on days like this.

I met a very sweet elderly man on the way home and stopped to chat with him. I'm very much a people person and I adore old people. He was out walking his dog and I stopped to talk to him as I also love dogs! I commented on his beautiful dog (a sleek greyhound) and he immediately asked me where I'm from. When I replied that I'm American and originally from Mn but I live here, he looked surprised. He asked me how I like living in England. i said I like it most of the time. He shrugged his shoulders and said it must be quiet. I said yes. I like the quiet and the small amount of crime. He said "no guns" and I said "Yes, there are too many guns in America." Then he asked me whereabouts I live and when I told him, he said his daughter used to live in my road. Then he said he wondered why we've never bumped into each other before because he thought he knew everyone in our town!

On the rest of the way home, I found myself smiling about that encounter. It's an example of the simple kind of life I have here.

I also thought up a whole article while I walked home. No, it's not about the old man. I just seem to get good ideas while I walk. I think I will have to make time to take a walk more regularly!!

Linda, thank you for such nice compliments!! I really appreciate all your support. I think you've been instrumental in giving me some confidence to go for it! I have decided that I am going to write something everyday. I feel like a different person when I write. I think I was meant to be a writer. i even look at everything around me now as a writer. It's weird but true. Now, I notice details all the time so I can remember them for my writing.

Well, enough about me. Sorry, I went on and on. If you were here in person, you would find out that I'm a chatterbox (where do you think Gavin gets it from?!)

Bye for now.
Hugs to you.
Maureen