Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Local & Regional Forums Looking for people in your neck of the woods? Or maybe you are going to visit another area and need some help from the locals? Check it out!

Old 09-17-2002, 07:15 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi BLTN

Sounds like things are going on smoothly at your house. You know sometimes, its ok just to go about the normal routine. That gives you the energy when all he__ breaks out. LOL Glad to see you are still with us. Take care. Gentle hugs.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I did all my housework early this morning so I can spend time on Family Corner. That's my reward for all my work! The weather here today is a bit gloomy. The skies are very cloudy and it looks like it might rain soon. As I sit here typing, I'm trying to keep one eye on the lookout for rain because I have two loads of washing hanging on the clothesline and I may have to dash outside and rescue them soon. LOL. Mind you, I don't think they are getting dry anyway. I was being optimistic I guess because there isn't any wind and no sunshine.

I'm finally feeling better about being back in England again after two weeks in MN with my family. It always takes time for me to settle down. Initially, I get very homesick as soon as I get back. It seems like going "home" just makes me feel worse but then I have time to adjust and eventually I feel better again. i think my hubby sometimes wonders if I should make the trip because he knows how it will affect me. I'm definitely back to myself though because even the gloomy sky today hasn't depressed me!

I always enjoy sitting here at the computer and reading all the different posts. It's fun to get to know everyone and make so many friends. I feel less homesick with you ladies to "talk" to.

Bye for now. Take care.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:32 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hiya Sunshine

Glad to see ya back to your old sunshinny self It's kinda like you have to go through a grieving process until you can settle back into your routine. And you really are happy to be there or you'd have chucked it in a long time ago, I'm sure. Of course, I'm equally as sure that if your hubby got a job stateside that pleased him to no end that you'd turn cartwheels to come back. It's just great that you can come back every now and then and see the family even though it does wrench your heart out for a while afterwards.

When we were in the service and my grandmother died and we didn't have the money for me to come home, I thought I'd die myself. Then my grandfather died, then my other grandfather died. My other grandmother had died when I was in college. So in less than 1 year, 3 of my grandparents died and I couldn't attend any of their funerals. I had to grieve alone. Anyway, I guess I am trying to say, I'd rather have been able to go home even for a few days and gotten some hugs then the way I had to struggle through it.

Speaking of rain, we had a really good storm pass through here today and it may not be over yet. Poor hubby is working late and he is on the cycle. Hope he makes it home between the storms. We are supposed to go camping this weekend so I hope the rain lets up. Of course the rain is playing havic on my sinuses and my weary old bones, but that won't stop me. I've made up my mind that I "need" to go camping. One time when we were camping, a couple of tornados went over us so I figure if I can survive a tornado, I can survive a little rain. The night of the tornados we had no way to run because they were all around us according to the radio so we just battened our hatches and sweated it out. Actually, I was crying hysterically and holding onto hubby with all my strength. I think that was the last time our daughter in law went camping with us.

Yes, I've really enjoyed getting to know the people here on this forum. I never had the nerve to join anything like this before and I was a little leary in the beginning so I just lurked for a while. It's amazing how fast this has grown. I feel very close to several of the ladies here and have really felt bad when they feel bad and felt good when they feel good. I guess that is what friendship is, caring and feeling for the other person. I shall miss not being able to be on here over the weekend but that'll give me something to do Sunday night. I'll get to read what everyone has been up to.

Gotta get off here and get a few things done before hubby gets home. Everybody take care and have a great weekend. I'll think about y'all while I'm sitting around the campfire in the rain. Just a singing in the rain, I'll be singing in the rain. Gentle hugs.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Linda,

You have such a way with words and always seem so full of good cheer even when you have health problems or bad weather or other worries You hit the nail on the head about my needing to go through a "grieving process" each time I return from a visit with my family. I've never thought of it that way but you are so right! You have a real knack for understanding people and making them feel better. Thanks for your insight and your kind words.

I can understand your sadness over such a heartbreaking experience of losing 3 grandparents in less than one year and not being able to go to the funerals That is a good example of how stressful and tragic it can be to be so far away from family.

I hope the storm there is over now. I know how much you want to go camping and even though you are determined to go even if it's raining, a little sunshine would be nice! I have to admit that I love my home comforts so I'm not the camping type at all! I can't even begin to imagine camping with tornadoes so close. No way! Unless there is a tent on the market with a basement attached? LOL. I'm a coward, I admit it!

Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful weekend and that the weather is uneventful! Have a great time camping!

Take care.
Maureen
Old 09-21-2002, 07:14 AM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Razzlefrats

It stormed all day yesterday, with tornado warnings. My hubby called me from work to find out if we were still going to set up camp. He was willing to do it in the rain because he knew how badly I wanted to go camping. He's such a sweetheart. I told him no. It's one thing to have camp set up and then have a storm roll in but to try to set up camp in a downpour when we don't have to. Naugh. Pass. Besides, there is always next weekend. Actually next weekend is the Pioneer Festival but we can go the weekend after that.

I had yesterday scheduled off work so instead of setting up camp, I goofed off all day. All I did was the dishes and fixed supper. That's one thing that gets my goat, why do dishes?, they just get dirty again. I think we should eat out every meal. Makes sense to me.

Maureen, I've always wanted to go back to college and become a therapist. I wouldn't want to be a Dr. because that would be too much pressure. But I wouldn't mind counciling people and trying to help them with their problems. The only drawback is that I get too personally involved. I actually cry with them. I don't think a good therapist would last very long if they cried everytime their patient cried. And I'm not a pretty cryer, my nose runs, my eyes swell, but man how it cleans out my sinuses.

Anyway, its a beautiful sunny day here today and only in the 70's. I'm gonna go make this the best day I can today. Everyone take care. Gentle hugs.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Linda,

That's such bad luck with the weather. I'm sorry you couldn't go camping. I know how much you enjoy it. Your hubby sounds like such a sweetie! What a lovely man to be willing to take you camping even in a downpour!

How nice that you had a day off work. I hope you did something for yourself though-like read a book or something besides doing the dishes and fixing supper. LOL. I should talk! i have a hard time just relaxing. The "guilt" creeps in. I always feel like I should be doing something useful and that means I dan't dare take time for myself. What I try to do to avoid the guilty feeling is to schedule "chore" time and "play" time so I don't devote all my energy to the housework. I agree about the dishes! LOL I think eating out every meal sounds like the perfect idea!

This is so weird! I was going to suggest in my last post that maybe you should study to be a psychologist or a counselor! I really think you have such intuition for people and understand their feelings/behavior. I think you should seriously consider it. Yes, you have smpathy and empathy but that's good. I'm sure you would learn how to not become too personally involved. My cousin is a psychologist. I'll ask her about that in my next email to her.

I'm pleased you are having sunshine today. We are too!

Take care.

Old 09-22-2002, 07:11 AM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Morning

I think I went camping mentally this weekend. I haven't done anything productive except a few dishes and some clothes washed. I'm going to do better today. I'm going to get my 2 baskets of clean clothes put away and pay my bills. Goodness how I hate paying bills. I wish they'd all just take what they need out of my checking account and leave me out of the whole mess. I think I'd gladly pay someone else to do that chore for me. I put it off and put it off, not because I don't have the money, but because I hate to do it. I imagine my credit rating is really really bad because I'm always sending late payments. What's even worse, is that I don't care what my credit rating is. I'm definately not a business woman. As long as my children, grandchildren and hubby are happy and don't "need" anything, money has no meaning to me. Never has. I figure the good lord knows if I had bushels of money, I'd use it unwisely, so he made it unimportant to me. I tell my hubby that's why he won't win the lottery, it's because he's afraid it would spoil me.

It's been a very quiet peaceful weekend here since everyone thought we'd be camping. I've really enjoyed it. Sometimes I think I could be a hermit for about a month. Naugh. A weekend is one thing, a month? Naugh.

I'm afraid the only way I could take classes would be through the mail because of my health I can't really commit to attending classes. Then, I'd have to be a volunteer because I couldn't commit to being there when I was scheduled to be. The only way I've managed to keep my job is my seniority and having 4 weeks off every year. It's a lovely dream, becoming a counselor.

Gotta go. Just got a message from #1 son on call wave. Gentle hugs to all.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Linda,

I'm pleased you had a quiet weekend and enjoyed yourself. Sorry I didn't think of your health problems when I suggested a new carreer for you. I meant well with the suggestion. I hope you are flattered anyway even if the idea isn't feasable for you. You are very fortunate with your present job and you are wise to stay with it.

I had a fun day yesterday. It was my birthday and my hubby took me to London to see a play and out to dinner afterwards. (We left the boys with his sister) The play was excellent! It starred Woody Harrelson (from Cheers on TV and several movies, and Kyle MacLachlan (from Twin Peaks and Sex & the City as well as movies) and we were just 5 rows from the stage. My hubby booked the play as a surprise for me. He knew I would enjoy seeing a play with two well known American actors in it. It was great! Dinner afterwards and then we just walked around for a while enjoying our time out on our own. It was a great way to spend my birthday and I'm still feeling pretty happy!

Plus, it's a beautiful sunny day! A beautiful Monday in England.

Take care.
Maureen
Old 09-23-2002, 05:12 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Happy Birthday to you.

Maureen, Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday "a little late" Dear Maureen. Happy Birthday to you. Boy are you lucky you can't hear me singing it. I couldn't carry a tune in a basket. When my grandson, Tyler, was little, he used to cover his ears when Grandma sang. Now, being the little gentleman he is, he only frowns just a little.

Your birthday sounded wonderful. To see a play, then dinner, then time alone. Wow. Great day. Husbands can be wonderful can't they? And to top it all, a day filled with sunshine.

Yes, I was very flattered with your suggestion. My Grandma C, whom I loved and adored and admired, always said I had good common sense. That was important to her that a person have good common sense so it meant a lot to me for her to say that about me. Out of we 3 girls, I am the only one who didn't make it through college. I'm not book smart, but I do like to think I can understand why people do things and I can feel what they feel. My son is the same way, we can hear a sad story and we both break out in tears because we feel so badly for them. We will give away our last dollar just to see a smile on someones face. It's like if the people around us are happy, we are happy.

Work today went flying by. I was so busy and before I knew it, it was 4:30. I'm supposed to leave at 2:30 because that's my 8 hours worth. But I was feeling ok and the time just got away from me. And the extra hours I work now and then I can either get paid overtime for it or leave 2 hours early another day. On days I can barely motivate, I appreciate those 2 hours I don't have to work.

Guess what. I got my bills paid and my clothes put away and the dishes caught up. Of course the house is a wreck but I imagine if it bothered me all that much I'd be cleaning instead of playing on the puter.

Gotta run. Oops, forgot, I haven't run in a long time. lol Take care. Gentle hugs.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Linda,

Thanks for the birthday song!

I'm pleased to hear you are feeling well. It's handy the way you can choose to either get paid over time or save the time to leave early on another day.

I had a virus attack our computer yesterday and I'm still baffled how it got in. Apparently it was on a website I visited but I don't know which one. Our anti virus software couldn't delete it but quarantined it so it wouldn't infect the whole system. Does any of this make sense to you? I never can figure this stuff out. I just made a note of the name of the virus and shut it off until my hubby came home from work.He sorted it out. It gets me how even with the Norton Anti Virus installed, it doesn't always work. Have you had problems at all like this?

We had another beautiful sunny day today. It was lovely.

Bye for now. Take care.