Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Local & Regional Forums Looking for people in your neck of the woods? Or maybe you are going to visit another area and need some help from the locals? Check it out!

Old 08-08-2002, 06:44 AM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Cheryl

Yes, don't know what I'd do without call wave. A second phone line is so expensive. My son always seems to know when I get on the puter.;-) I just logged on but it's a little early for him to be calling so I think I'll be safe for a bit. I love the fact that he calls so much. Sometimes its to ask questions but more often its just to check in on me and talk. He's been calling me at work a lot here lately because he knows things aren't going so well there.

Yes, you are right about love and loving helping with depression. You have to fight it with every weapon you have available. I have always told my kids that when they have a really bad day to look back and remember something that made them smile. I told them that if they went more than a couple of weeks and couldn't remember one thing that made them smile, then do something to change their lives.

Today I am gonna do some mundane things. DH is taking tomorrow off, too, and we are going to have a garage sale, then I think the grandkids will be here Saturday. Whoopie.

Take care of yourself. Hope its not too hot where you are. We've had a couple of days of decent weather.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Linda,

You are so right about children helping if you feel depressed. I get depressed sometimes (mostly because I feel homesick) and my boys are a wonderful tonic! They make me forget about myself and soon I'm smiling and probably laughing as well.

My father passed away in 1985 so I know how it feels to lose a parent. It must be much worse to lose your mother though. Moms are so special. Your children sound like they understand that you still miss your mother and empathize with you. It must break their hearts when you are so upset. It's good that they are so supportive for you.

Take care.

Maureen
Old 08-08-2002, 09:51 AM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hiya Sunshine

Yes, my kids are terrific. I am so lucky that they live so close to me. My dh keeps talking about where we should move when we retire. I keep telling him he'd best buy enough land to build houses for our kids and grandkids to because I'm not going anywhere unless we take them along. :mad: After this summer of heat and humidity I have been thinking maybe Wisconsin or Michigan might not be soooo bad. If I chose Minnesota I wouldn't have to worry because both my daughter, my son, and my grandkids all dearly love to fish. And I don't mind sitting under an umbrella and take pictures while they do it.

It is beautiful outside today for my day off work. The sun is shining, there is a gentle breeze, I can see my kittens playing, there is an old movie playing on the tv, an Ester Williams flick. Ah, life is good.

I should be busy doing that stack of dishes or marking things for the rummage sale but I choose to watch the kittens. What can I say, I love kids whether they are human or not. Well, ok, I'm not fond of baby bugs of anykind unless they are butterflies. I don't mind bugs as long as they don't want a piece of me or mine.

Ah, they are singing "Baby its cold outside" I can just hear my mom singing it. A few happy tears inserted here.

Do you realize how fast the time is passing until you will be stateside (notice I avoided the word home) Your hubby would be proud of me. Actually I typed home and then remembered what you said. He's right about England being your home because that's where he and your sons are but your birthplace will always be home, too. It wasn't until my folks sold the home I grew up in did I stop thinking about where they lived as being my home. I can still picture all the rooms in my head, tho. I live about 3 blocks from there but now when I pass it, it doesn't feel like home. If there was one house I'd love to be able to walk through again it would be my grandma and grandpa Clements house. They lived in part of the building and the other part was a country grocery store. Ah, the memories from there.
Wow, got off on a trip down memory lane there didn't I?

Anyway, best get up and do something. I am mentally moving the hands of the clock and sharing my sunshine with you today. Take care and get to packing.
Old 08-08-2002, 02:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'm pleased you had a nice relaxing day today. We all need an occasional day like that to unwind and de-stress. Life can be so frantic sometimes.

I've started packing a bit but mostly I'm making lists of things to bring for everyone stateside. Well remembered about my reference to going home but it's my son, Gavin, who scolds me when I call MN my home. He's 10 and he thinks it's very odd for me to call another place home. He always heaves a deep sigh and gives me a very old fashioned look and says, "Mummy, you ARE home."

We had a good old-fashioned thunderstorm here last night. It's funny how we get so much rain here but not a lot of thunder and lightning. We were all safely at home so I actually enjoyed it.

It sounds like your weather has cooled down and is more comfortable now. I'm pleased for you.

It won't be long now until we are in Minnesota! I still have plenty to get organized before we leave. Tomorrow, Stuart will see the orthodontist for an adjustment on his braces, and both boys will be getting haircuts.

I'm getting an instant message from my sister right now. Will write more later or tomorrow.

Take care. bye for now. Hope you are feeling okay.

Old 08-12-2002, 05:21 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Time is ticking away

The days just seem to be flying by for me but I bet they are just crawling for you. It is Monday, August 12th around 7 PM here. You just have to get through Tues, Wed, and Thur and then you will be on the plane headed for family and friends. I wish I could be there when you get off the plane and just watch the faces of the happy happy people there to greet you. Oh, what joy. I'm sure I'd be smiling and crying at the same time. I'm very good about ppl getting off planes but very bad about them getting on I bet you've made your list and checked it at least a zillion times already trying not to forget something.

Last weekend we had a rummage sale, I've been decluttering my house, and my son and son in law and my 4 grandkids came and helped. I wish you could have seen my grandkids, they were showing the customers around to the various items. I let them take turns taking the money and counting out the cash back. Jacob, the littlest, would get upset if the customer didn't get cash back. All of the clothes and toys that didn't sell went to the Salvation Army and sometime this week my son and son in law is hauling the rest of the stuff to the dump. Hip hip, horay. I sat in my wheelchair so I didn't overdo. The weather was decent, too. All in all, it was a great weekend. Got to see the grandkids on Thur, Fri, Sat and Sun. Way cool. When I had to go to work today, I was in great spirits. Nobody could hurt me because I just got a healthy dose of grandkids. There hasn't been a day I haven't thought about you and your upcoming homecoming but was just too occupied to post.

I'm gonna send enough sunshine to hopefully get you off the ground over there, and I'll keep pushing my clocks to go faster. Take care. If you don't have time to post before you leave, I'll understand. Will be thinking and praying for you especially on the 16th for a swift journey back to your family.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Today is Tuesday and it's nearly 4 pm. I haven't had time to use the computer until now. I still have some packing to do. We are going to stay in a hotel near the airport on Thursday evening to save the stress of getting there first thing on Friday morning.

I like your story about your grandchildren helping you count out money at your rummage sale and how Jacob got upset if their wasn't any money to hand back to a customer. LOL. I'm pleased that your sale went well and that you are getting rid of all the clutter that didn't sell.

Thank you for your kind thoughts about me and my trip back to MN. You are very sweet to think of me.

i hope you are feeliing okay and not working too hard.

I will say bye now and probably talk again when I get back.

I'm soooooo excited!!

Maureen
Old 08-13-2002, 01:47 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Maureen

I'm so happy for you. Have a safe trip and collect all the hugs you can. Will see you when you get home.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Maureen I expect you have shut down your computer or at least put it on hold until you get back but wnated towish you a safe trip. I too have been thinking about you and your getting ready to go. Am sure the boys are so excited that they can hardly sleep. You take care and enjoy every second that you are with your family.

Linda I am happy that your garage sale went so well. And that it is now over so you don't have to spend time on it any more. How generous to send what was left over to the SA. They do a lot of good here.

Do you use you wheelchair all the time or just as you need it? How does it work and your job? (I can't remember what you do. Sorry!! ) I have been thinking that I might have to start using one when I go places - like the state fair tomorrow ;-) Hope I am not being too nosey.

Loved hearing about your grandkids and the money handling. They must be a lot of fun to have around. I have never had the chance to be just Grandma but I still get a kick out of having them around. Today I took the youngest -Kayla- shopping for a birthday present for my oldest daughter - her Aunt Stacey. We had so much fun. She has such a big heart and wants to get things for everyone. Right now grd #1 can't have anything where she is - they provide everything except clothes- and Kayla just can't understand why she can't but things to take to her sister. Today she said that we could but it now and keep it until she can have it. Since we don't know what will be the rules when she gets moved to the facility I said lets wait. She did talk me into buying a gift for her to give AS - a pretty little pin that is an angel (AS collects angels) Every so often while we were shopping she want to stop and give me a love and tell me she loves me. Even when I had to tell her no about things she would make sure I knew she loved me and was not mad that I wouldn't buy what ever for her. what I started out to be a quick run to the mall turned intl 2 1/2 housrs of fun. I miss being able to take both girls on trips like that. Hopefully some day I will be able to again.

oooop I did get wordy didn't I

Hope you both have a good day tomorrow and that your trip is wonderful in every way, Maureen.

A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:12 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Stitcher45

By now Maureen should be winging her way home. I am so happy and excited for her.

About the wheelchair, I use it when I have to be on my feet alot. I take it with me to ren faires and I walk until the pain gets too great then I climb into the wheelchair. I work in an office and I get up and down a lot but where my desk is located I can use the wheelchair if I have to.

It was great that you got to do some shopping with your grandaughter and had a wonderful time. Whenever I am feeling my worst, my son will bring the grandkids out and they can always make me smile with their hugs and kisses. I just don't think I could make it without them. They make me want to keep going in spite of all the pain. My hubby got a huge wagon and the pull me around in it or I give them rides on my lap in the wheelchair. One of them is always on my lap. My oldest grandson, Tyler, who will be 10 in November, will tuck his feet up so they don't touch the floor. I tell them when their feet touch the floor then grandma gets to sit on their laps. I take it that your grandchildren live with you. That has to be a big responsibility. I'm not sure I could handle having that much responsibility. There are nights that I have a hard time being pleasant because I hurt so badly and am so exhausted. My husband hates the smell of ben gay but it is my best friend. I am constantly rubbing it on some part of my body. I tell the ladies at work that it is my perfume.

Well, have to get off here and go rest for a bit because we are going out to supper tonight. Take care of yourself. Gentle hugs.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:02 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sunshine where are you?

Ok, I'm having Sunshine withdrawl. I wonder what she is doing right now. Soaking up every moment she can with her family and friends I imagine. Just wanted you to know that I am missing you and hoping you are having a wonderful vacation.

This weekend I'm headed for Bristol, Wi for the ren faire. Wish I could make it to Minnesota and surprise Sunshine. I'm sure I could find her in a crowd, she'd be the one radiating with happiness.