Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Local & Regional Forums Looking for people in your neck of the woods? Or maybe you are going to visit another area and need some help from the locals? Check it out!

Old 08-01-2002, 01:37 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

A cheery hello

Yes, I overdid. But the kids didn't know it. I try real hard not to complain around them and only say something when they keep pestering me about what is wrong. I usually just say I'm having a bad day and they let it go at that. If I started listing every place that hurt we'd be all day. It always reminds me of a movie I saw I think it was Indiana Jones and he got beat up kinda bad and the lady was trying to make him feel better and every place she touched he yelled. Finally she said "Well, where doesn't it hurt?" Cracks me up. That's the answer I want to give but I don't think they'd see the humor in it. I want to say it doesn't hurt here or here because that would be a quicker answer than it hurts here and here and here and here and here. Actually I think I'm kinda lucky because on bad days everything seems to be hurting the same so I don't have that localized pain that your brain can focus on.

The farthest we've gone so far is Bristol, Wi. and that takes about 7 to 8 hours and that is because we have to drive real close to Chicago. I hate that part of the journey. I get in the back seat, buckle up, and hide my eyes.

We've gone to Holly, Mi a couple of times but don't think we will go back because its just too hilly and too crowded. We also go to one over in Ohio around Dayton in September. And we are going to one in Illinois in October.

Next year if we go back to SilverLeaf, we will get a motel room in Kalamazoo so I can get in a tub or jacuzzi afterwards. That always helps.

To come to Minnesota or Iowa I'd have to plan a year in advance to allow myself enough vacation days to travel there, do ren faire, and return home. Would need at least a week for that. I can only ride in the car for so long and then I have to move or I lock up.

I'm taking tomorrow off work, vacation day, gotta pick some green beans and try to get some things sorted out to have a garage sale next weekend. That's what I've got planned, but it will depend on how hot it gets and how I feel as to if it gets done or not. Maybe I should try to trick myself that I'm at a ren fest. Oh my goodness, the neighbors would talk for years if they saw me in my chainmaille picking beans. Oh, that is too totally funny. Can't you just see it. It might be worth it.

I bet you are getting excited to get home to see your family aren't you Maureen? I bet they are just as excited. I know when we were in the service and stationed far away that the visits were the best. The only problem is the exhaustion in the beginning and when you get back home.

And yes, about the bodices, one vendor, Pendragon, says they can make clevage on a flat chested man. I've been in their shop and seen them do it. But they are way expensive. Believe it or not the bodice does help your back. You can't sit down but your back feels wonderful.

I think my daughter might have fibro, too, Sandy. They say it is inherited. She hasn't been diagnosed yet either but I think it is just a matter of time. I keep telling her I'm sorry I couldn't pass down any healthy genes. We have a laugh about it. I always try to laugh about everything I can. Sometimes it's real hard to see the humor but if you can, it's better than crying. Although crying does seem to help my sinuses.

Goodness, better hush up before they say, file is tooooo big. Take care ladies. I'll do my best to behave. At least until August 23rd, 24th and 25th.

Last edited by ladyinmaille; 08-01-2002 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Oh Linda, you are such a hoot! i feel guilty for laughiing after reading all of your post because I obvviously don't take any delight in your pain (quite the contrary! ) but your thoughts about dressing up in chainmaille tomorrow to pick the beans had me really laughing out loud! Your neighbors would be in shock for sure! What a thought!

Yes, I am very excited about going home to see my family and friends. I cna't wait! I started to get really excited today because it hit me when I looked at the date. Today is August 1st and we leave on August 16th! Yippee. Not long now. You are right about getting exhausted though. We end up getting pulled in so many directions by everyone that I always think we need another vacation when we get home! LOL.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:12 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tee hee Maureen

Naugh, I know you wouldn't laugh at my pain but as they say, "laughter is the best medicine". And I can just visualize picking beans in my chainmaille and the neighbors pointing and laughing. My hubby thinks I'm a frustrated comedian. Actually, he may be right.

How long of a flight is it going to be? Do you fly direct or do you have layovers? Is everybody coming or just you? Yes, just 2 weeks until the excitement begins. Hopefully the time will pass quickly for you until your departure.

The way the weather has been here stateside, you ought to get plenty of sunshine and warm weather while you are here.

Does your family live near the boundary waters? I started to ask if they lived near a lake but from what I can tell if you live in Minnesota, you live near a body of water.

We live close to a couple of reservoirs and the Wabash River. One time after I'd just had a dnc, we rented canoes and went down the Wabash River. Of course I couldn't row, too soon after surgery, so I just got to ride in the canoe like a little princess. Way cool. All the pleasure and no work. Of course the next time we rented canoes my hubby made sure I had a paddle in my hands.

Time to take my meds and snuggle down for the night. I will now wish for sunshine to come your way and for the clock to tick faster until you are home with your family and friends.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Linda,

My hubby and the boys are coming with me to Minnesota. We are fortunate that we can fly non-stop, directly to Minneapolis. It's about 8 1/2 hours. I always bring a good book to help pass the time. It helps if the movies they show on the flight are good but in my experience, the movies are usually so awful that i wonder if the airline takes some kind of warped pleasure in choosing the worst ones! Sometimes, they aren't even suitable for kids to see and since you can hardly prevent them from watching, that's a particular pet peeve of mine. Never mind, the flight is something we endure until we get there and then we can enjoy ourselves.

No, my family don't live near the boundary waters but yes, they do live near lakes. Yes, you are quite right about always being near a lake somewhere in MInnesota. It's not called the land of 10,000 lakes for nothing!!

I'm sure you are right about getting plenty of warm weather when we get there. I'm counting on it! At least we know what to pack for a summer trip to MN. (t-shirts and shorts). When we take any trips in this country, we always have to bring an assortment of clothes, even in the middle of "summer"

So are you picking those beans today? What are you wearing??? I think your hubby is right. You are a frustrated comedian!! I love your humor.

Are you feeling better today? I hope so.

Take care.
Bye for now.
Maureen
Old 08-03-2002, 05:19 AM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle No chainmaille

As it worked out, my son, son in law and 2 grandsons picked the green beans while my daughter and 2 grandaughters and I went and got groceries. But the thought still cracks me up everytime I think about it. When I told my son and daughter about it of course they started remembering the wacky things like bailing water out of the garden during the storm, etc. And we laughed and laughed.

You can fly non stop. Wonderful. I know when my daughter and hubby went to nz it took them around 20 hours and they had several layovers.

And its great that your hubby and boys can come with you. Do you get to come home every year or every couple of years? I bet your folks are amazed at how much the boys have changed from year to year. I can't imagine not having weekly contact with my grandkids. They keep me young. They make me happy.

I slept in yesterday until 9 am which is highly unusual for me. I get up at 5 am everyday to go to work. Of course I don't wake up until 9.

Well, I'm sending more sunshine and moving the clock along until you are stateside with your family and friends. Take care.
Old 08-04-2002, 04:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Yes, we are very lucky we can fly non stop. Also, I shouldn't moan about the time it takes to get there. I've forgotten about those long flight times to places like New Zealand. I would love to visit that country but that is such a long journey! Where did your daughter and hubby stop for the layovers? Did they have enough time to walk around a different city or was it just a short stop in an airport lounge? I've always wondered how people manage those kind of long trips.

I try to get home at least every two or three years although more recently I've been getting home more often. It seems like the longer I live here, the more homesick I become!

I hope you are having a relaxing weekend. Take care.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:43 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Howdy Maureen

On the way to NZ they had Chicago and Los Angeles. In Chicago they had around an hour on way over and coming back was 9 hours. In Los Angeles on the way over was about a couple of hours and coming back around 4 hours. They were whooped when they got home.

Only 10 more days. I do hope the time is going fast for you. Are you all packed? I bet the emails are just flying between you and your family filled with excitement.

I've been under a lot of stress at work the past few days so I've been a little depressed. Of course stress is the absolute worst for fibromyalgia. I wish dh would win the lottery.

Gotta close and get to bed. I'm exhausted. Do take care. Will send some sunshine and speed the clock up for you.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Linda,

You are very sweet to be thinking of me and my trip home considering you're not feeling all that well and depressed as well. i'm sorry to hear that your work has been so stressful lately. I can understand how that would make you feel depressed. Has there been a change in circumstances at work so your job is very busy and stressed that way or is the stress caused by people you work with? I suppose it could be both!

I remember working when the computer went down and everyone I worked with became irritable and the telephone seemed to ring even more and I felt like I wanted to run away or at least scream and cry! :mad: I know I'm very fortunate to be a SAHM. Sometimes I miss the working environment and the respect from having a career ( I hate it when people ask what I do and seem to turn off as soon as I say that I'm a homemaker and a mom) but then I remember all the stress and migraines (they stopped when I stopped work!) and I have to admit that I love being able to stay at home.

I wish I could help you in some way. I feel so badly for you, It must become a vicious cycle for you if you feel depressed and it makes the filbromyalgia worse which would make you more depressed... and so on. What do you do when you feel depressed? Do you talk to your friends? I know talking can help a bit. What about watching funny shows or movies. They have to be really laugh out loud comedies but that can help sometimes. A nice hot bubble bath is another good stress reliever.

I wish I could give you a hug! You're always so quick to offer support and encouragement to eveyone else. Now it's your turn! I would like to make you smile and laugh but I can't even think of a good joke right now!

I send you lots of (((hugs)))) and I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for the sunshine. It's working! It was raining when I logged on and now the sun is out!!

We are all excited about going to MN. I almost typed going home but Gavin always scolds me when I say I'm going home and will say that I am home. LOL. He's right of course.

Well, take care.

Your friend, Maureen
Old 08-07-2002, 03:12 PM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Howdy Maureen

Well, when I'm really depressed, my son brings the grandkids out and he knows it won't take long until I'm laughing and being my old self again. I just love kids to pieces, especially the grandkids. I enjoy seeing things through their eyes and they always say or do something to make me laugh.

Your letter was so sweet. I almost felt the hug. When I really get down I always long for my mother who's been deceased since 1986. She always stroked my forehead and she had the softest hands. My daughter inheritated her hands. They are beautiful and soft. I was crying and talking to my son and daughter and my son hugged me and I told him I loved him with all my heart but I wanted my mommy. He said "I know mom" and from the tone of his voice I could tell he meant it.

Yes, I also watch funny movies, take bubble baths and talk to my best friend who also happens to be my hubby. Oh fudge, call wave, have to sign off and call #1 son. Will write more later. Have 4 days off work. That will help. Plus grandkids are coming.

Take care. Counting down the days.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Kids certainly are wonderful to get yourself out of a funk!
I suffered depression caused by a hormone imbalance and the PMS 24/7 that came with it was no fun :mad: . But loving and love have helped 98 percent. It is a bummer to be so down...
That CW is nice since it is cheeper than a second phone line!
Have fun and don't tire !