Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Local & Regional Forums Looking for people in your neck of the woods? Or maybe you are going to visit another area and need some help from the locals? Check it out!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I live in a community that I consider the Ghetto. Don't get me wrong, my house is a big two story home with large white pillars on the front porch. There are a lot of beautiful houses here in my community, but my neighborhood is definitely the ghetto.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom
I live in a community that I consider the Ghetto. Don't get me wrong, my house is a big two story home with large white pillars on the front porch. There are a lot of beautiful houses here in my community, but my neighborhood is definitely the ghetto.
I'm curious as to why they call it this? Is it the area around you or is it just a nickname?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I think my neighborhood use to be the high class part of town in day's gone by, but like any community things change and shift. Now it is low income, crime ridden, sirens frequently blaring and gangs of young people out and about.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Dawn, You sound like you live in South Central California (L.A. County area).

My over all community is called the Evergreen state - for the most part it lives up to that nickname, especially on the side that I am in. Narrowing this down a bit more, I am in part of a weather convert zone - near the South Sound region of Puget Sound Inlet. Narrowing that down even further means I am on the very outskirts of the city of Seattle, and just north of rural as rural can be, but not urban nor suburban either. The town is just as sparse as my local community with the exception of residential homes are mixed in with many business - an example of this is the Chineese restaurant at the top of one of our local roads and next to him is someone's home, and some others are both home/business - an example of this is the bookkeeper one street up and five streets over, who has a sign outside his driveway indicating his hours of operation and business below homes - an example of this is on main street, where the antique shops and dance studios are down stairs and rental apartments are upstairs. My general region around the street I live on is a combination of folks who can't afford to buy a house, can barely make the rent, and make too much to receive financial aid. They live in house that are kept up, cars running, and food on the table. Any number of animals and children are found in their yards, and there are at least three (3) schools within five (5) miles distance. We have one (1) main street signal, several stop signs, lots of cross walks, a pedisterian signal, a water tower, two (2) visible fire hydrants, and about twelve (12) street lights (not always operational)... But hey we have a stunning "peek" view of the sound, for the time being, several green trees, and on real quiet monings barking seals can be heard at the state park about 5 miles away. So I guess the best discription for my community would be comfortable. ;-)
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 04-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I want to move to Jen's neck of the woods which is MY old neck of the woods!
I grew up in Washington and can ditto what Jen has said about the Evergreen state! it is the most beautiful place I have ever lived and I have lived in 8 states!

This is home for now though as my parents settled here and they are my everything.

hugs, train
Old 04-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Jen,

A few years back I lived in Central Oregon in a town called Bend. It was great and Oregon is so clean not like Indiana. I have been to Washington before, your town sounds nice an small and wonderful.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:40 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Humm, lets see, where do I start..I actually was an army child, so moved a lot when younger...then last of my Jr & high school days were in Harbor City/Wilmington Calif...married in 1963 and then 1970 moved to a small Indiana community of 3,000 pp, lived there till 2006, now retired to a lake home in a village called White Pigeon Michigan population of less than 1500 pp. Very quaint community! Not much here but we love it!
Old 05-05-2010, 02:47 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think he's LYING.

For starters, people will have insurance, so they won't be waiting to get seriously ill before they show up at the emergency room.
Levels of plastic litter, pollution of water sources, overuse of water sources, (depending where the plant is built) disturbance of nature..
Old 05-05-2010, 03:55 AM
Head Moderator

Hmmmmm...........