Living room - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-11-2002, 08:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Living room

Organizing the Living room! I have recently changed the way we used our living room. When ever we have company we always seem to end up in the kitchen or the summer porch..so I got rid of my living room! Now it is my dining room and computer area. It makes my kitchen L-shaped. 18 by 18 and the L shapes area is 10 by 12. Across from my dining area is my computer room, 12x8. Blocked from the kitchen view. My kitchen used to flow into the living room..like a great room...my LR was always full of newspapers, glasses, pizza boxes..you get the picture..now our living room is in what I call the walkthru room...it is in a little alcove with a hallway down one side. In there I have a loveseat, endtables, easy chair and TV with 3 large bookcases form floor to ceiling! It has worked out great! Now if the TV room is cluttered it is not the first thing you see when you enter my house.

Not too many people come over to watch TV so why does it have to be the room you visit in?

janet
Old 08-30-2002, 09:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Sounds like a good use of your space. Our family is really into movies, so it IS what people come over to do, so I guess I'm stuck with it. YES, it's always full of something that doesn't belong there. Trick is to pick it up EVERY night so things don't get out of hand. It's a real challenge sometimes.

Our office is the unusual room. I believe it was intended to be a dining room, but who really needs two anyway?
Old 08-30-2002, 02:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

You must be younger than me...not too many friends pop over to watch a movie anymore. This is weird to say but we are out living our friends...many have been put to rest. Hmm...I must be old but don't know it yet! lol

I hate to see clutter in my home, I like clean counters and coffee tables. Newspapers laying on the floor for days just bugs the dickens out of me! I know...what does it matter???But that's me.haha

janet
Old 09-02-2002, 05:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle

janet--

I go with you, kiddo. I don't like clutter all over, either, and it also drives me up a wall. I grew up without clutter, and ran my house the same way when the kids were growing up. When they were through playing with things, they had to be put away, too. They were taught to make their beds before leaving for school, and hang up their clothes along with putting their dirty clothes down the clothes chute where they landed in a large wooden box on wheels. I never left dirty dishes in the sink, either, and when one of my older son's friends came one
day, he told me our house was the only one he ever was in that didn't have dirty dishes all over the kitchen. What's more the kitchen sink was clean, too. Anything that could be considered as clutter in our house was when I did a lot of sewing, and had material, etc. out on the dining room table while in the process of making whatever at the time.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.
Old 09-05-2002, 05:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Janet

Janet - I'm 36, don't know if that's younger than you or not! My husband is a movie fanatic, so I think that has something to do with it too. We don't have a LOT of adult company, but when we do it usually involves dinner and a movie. The kid's almost always end up watching a movie with their friends who spend the night.

My kids are 11, 11 & 12, and YES we have clutter everyday. It used to drive me nuts, now it just irritates me. My compromies: the living room, dining room and kitchen have to be clean, I try to live with the bedrooms and the office in their natural states.

Wish I could have a second tv room instead of a second dining room! Maybe in the next house. This house has a very open floor plan, and the 'living' rooms kind of run together (walls have cutout bookcases, breakfast bar, etc. to separate them, but not walls with doors).

Old 05-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Assistant Moderator

Every now couple of years I get into individual rooms and like to change the furniture around so see if maybe something else works better or that 1 new piece of furniture is actually better over there
I also change wall pictures from room to room as even that gives a different feel to things .... also that means you don't have to buy new so that your room changes, even new cushions in a different pattern or colour are good